Hello from Ventura, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join and participate in this fine forum.

I've been looking at American Tugs and Nordic Tugs for several months now to enjoy with my young family.
I've been following Bligh's thread regarding his NT37 with great interest.

I've made an offer on a 2004 NT32 and it's been accepted, however the boat is in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
So, I'm flying out next week to have the boat surveyed and inspected.
It should pass with flying colors as it's very clean with only 546 hours on the Cummings 6BTA-5.9.
The boat has had a complete service done recently, and I'm happy about that because now I won't have to pay for it, but it's thrown a wrench in the oil survey aspect of the survey. All the fluids have been changed recently with minimal hours since then (<5)
Any input on this?

My diesel mechanic says to not worry about it too much as the hours are so low and that particular motor is almost bullet-proof. Also, he said that motor is detuned already and with it cruising at around 8-10 knots, chances of something being wrong with it would be rare.

Anyways, I'm excited about it and looking forward to taking the kids to Catalina Island along with our local islands.

Any other input regarding the survey? Anything in particular to look for that these boats had problems with?

Thanks!

J

Welcome Joe, you chose nicely. :thumb::thumb:

I would go re-read that thread of Bligh's a bit. He's doing it right in my opinion but there can be a little more than meets the eye in that engine room. Has your mechanic been aboard this boat? Saying "the hours are low so it oughta be fine" is easy to say if he has no skin in the game. 50-50 chance of being right I suppose but prefer better odds myself.

Welcome aboard! Do you know BillyDiana from Oxnard?
I don't. If their from Oxnard, they probably boat out of Channel Islands Harbor. I'm out of Ventura Harbor.
Welcome Joe, you chose nicely. :thumb::thumb:

I would go re-read that thread of Bligh's a bit. He's doing it right in my opinion but there can be a little more than meets the eye in that engine room. Has your mechanic been aboard this boat? Saying "the hours are low so it oughta be fine" is easy to say if he has no skin in the game. 50-50 chance of being right I suppose but prefer better odds myself.

I agree! I have an engine surveyor coming along with the other surveyor too.

If I buy the boat, when I get her back to California I'll have my mechanic go thru it once more.

After I spoke to my diesel mechanic friend, I asked if worse case I get the boat back to California and the motor blows up, what's a new one cost?

He said a brand new crate motor is $18,000:eek: No word on whether that includes installation, ha!

I agree with your mechanic...it would take super human abuse to hurt that engine, intentional even. Check to see how long the boat has been registered in FL to insure it is not a Sandy boat. Start the engine...listen..look and smell the oil. Regular surveyor will tell you on asking if you need an engine survey. Ed Rowe and Asso. In Vero is a very through, experienced surveyor. If the deal falls through, save a bundle and buy my boat.
1982 Mainship I Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck.

How are you planning on bringing the boat to the West Coast? What will that cost?

How are you planning on bringing the boat to the West Coast? What will that cost?

I'm curious as well.

He'll be on the water by end of the work day friday. :lol:

Super_Guppy.jpg

I'm curious as well.

He'll be on the water by end of the work day friday. :lol:

Super_Guppy.jpg

My dream. ... For me, it was a slow boat from China costing $27000 (slightly less than California use tax) and the shipping company claimed it lost money. Apparently, shipping is less expensive to Long Beach and Seattle compared to Oakland/San Francisco.

Last edited:
Hard to believe you couldn't find a suitable boar closer.
Lots of NTs up here too.

I've received multiple bids to haul the boat from Florida. They range between $10,000-$11,000.

Hard to believe you couldn't find a suitable boar closer.
Lots of NTs up here too.

There are several NT's for sale here in California. I was up in San Francisco 2 weeks ago to take a look at a very nice 2004 NT32 with a flybridge and highly optioned. Low hours. It was a perfect boat except for the price.
Even with the shipping, the boat in Florida is around 12K cheaper.

Most of the Washington boats I was interested in did not have a generator. Same with several of the California boats.
For me, a generator is an absolute must have item.

BTW, this is my 5th boat, and all of them but one I bought on the East coast and had shipped.

I agree with your mechanic...it would take super human abuse to hurt that engine, intentional even. Check to see how long the boat has been registered in FL to insure it is not a Sandy boat. Start the engine...listen..look and smell the oil. Regular surveyor will tell you on asking if you need an engine survey. Ed Rowe and Asso. In Vero is a very through, experienced surveyor. If the deal falls through, save a bundle and buy my boat.
1982 Mainship I Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck.

Thank you for your input Mule.
Beautiful boat sir!:thumb:

Ask Tony Athens for his opinion about the oil analysis situation and what your mechanic can do to get comfortable. He knows an awful lot about those engines. Google seaboard or boatdiesel.

Have you considered bringing the wife and the kids with you and taking an east coast vacation on the new toy!

Ask Tony Athens for his opinion about the oil analysis situation and what your mechanic can do to get comfortable. He knows an awful lot about those engines. Google seaboard or boatdiesel.
I've heard Tony Athens is the man when it comes to Cummings engines.
The bonus is that Tony's shop is in Oxnard and I can actually visit.
My diesel mechanic has three sons and they are all marine diesel mechanics.
One of his sons works for Tony.
Have you considered bringing the wife and the kids with you and taking an east coast vacation on the new toy!

We have considered it.
We don't have passports for the kids but I would have liked to have gone to Bimini. I spent some time there in the early 90's and loved it.
If we pulled the kids out of school, and had a week to cruise the area, where/what would you recommend? The upper Keys? ICW?

East Vacation

Well I like the Florida Key's but there is the other coast or take a ride through the lock and Lake Okeechobee there is a lot going on here!:)

I'd have the local Fl Cummins dealer send a mechanic to inspect it, go out on a sea trial,
he'll probably be able to spot a problem better than an oil sample anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom