Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Hello from the upper Mississippi

We're slipped at Two Rivers marina umr mm 283. I liveaboard March thru mid December, the old river town of Louisiana, Mo. is just across the river. We have a 3870 Bayliner with 2 x 175 HP na Hino diesels, we normally cruise at 6 to 8 mph, unless we need to hurry to a lock to beat a tow. Are there any other inland river boats here?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Welcome RC - We're off the river at the moment and over on the Lake. Capt Craig is north of you on the river. Maybe he'll chime in.
I know the marina your at.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
Welcome RC - We're off the river at the moment and over on the Lake. Capt Craig is north of you on the river. Maybe he'll chime in.
I know the marina your at.
When I bought the boat in April of 2010 I was going to cruise on the river for a month & then have it hauled & transported back to Kansas. River was to high to haul it & Perry lake was to high to launch. Been here ever sence, it's a nice clean marina with a great staff. What lake are you on lake OZ?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Guru

River Cruiser

Welcome! It's great to hear from another Miss. river rat. I keep my boat at The Isle of Capri marina at umr mm 487. in Bettendorf IA. It is about a 1/4 mile above the I-74 bridge. I bought my boat in Nashville in January of 2011. Ran it up the river in early June 2011. It was at the time of the big flood. I was facing a prediction of flooding all summer. I decided to go for it. Probably a foolish decision in a boat I really knew little about. I didn't realize how ugly the Miss is below St. Louis during a big flood. I didn't believe the stories of current running 10mph, the forests of trees and floating debris I had to pick my way thru. I believe now. I actually saw a rather large cabin floating down the center of the river. It took 2 weeks running 12 to 14 hours/day, an obscene quantity of diesel, and two bent props, but I made it. I was damn lucky.
Was your boat on the river when you bought it? The river is really very nice when it isn't misbehaving. How far upstream have you run? From where you are there is about 550 miles of water above you. I have run the river to Stllwater MN (the head of navigation on the St Croix) and to Minneapolis (the head of nav. on the Miss) several times but never in the trawler. I look forward to an extended cruise north this summer.
There are a maybe a half dozen trawlers in the Quad Cities, maybe a half dozen between here and the Twin Cities. The Twin City area has a several more.
Let me know if you ever get up in this area
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
See RC! I knew Capn Craig would show.
To answer your question, yes we are on lake Oz and as you know a different culture.
That's a great marina your at. We considered it for a bit and miss the river.

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
River Cruiser

Welcome! It's great to hear from another Miss. river rat. I keep my boat at The Isle of Capri marina at umr mm 487. in Bettendorf IA. It is about a 1/4 mile above the I-74 bridge. I bought my boat in Nashville in January of 2011. Ran it up the river in early June 2011. It was at the time of the big flood. I was facing a prediction of flooding all summer. I decided to go for it. Probably a foolish decision in a boat I really knew little about. I didn't realize how ugly the Miss is below St. Louis during a big flood. I didn't believe the stories of current running 10mph, the forests of trees and floating debris I had to pick my way thru. I believe now. I actually saw a rather large cabin floating down the center of the river. It took 2 weeks running 12 to 14 hours/day, an obscene quantity of diesel, and two bent props, but I made it. I was damn lucky.
Was your boat on the river when you bought it? The river is really very nice when it isn't misbehaving. How far upstream have you run? From where you are there is about 550 miles of water above you. I have run the river to Stllwater MN (the head of navigation on the St Croix) and to Minneapolis (the head of nav. on the Miss) several times but never in the trawler. I look forward to an extended cruise north this summer.
There are a maybe a half dozen trawlers in the Quad Cities, maybe a half dozen between here and the Twin Cities. The Twin City area has a several more.
Let me know if you ever get up in this area
Hello Capn Craig, I bought Northern Lights at Ft. Madison, Ia. When we left there we cruised up a ways past the Quad Cities, must of been close to where your at. Stayed at Lindsey Park Yacht Club & got fuel at Sunset marina. The river was high all year in 2010 , I thought dodging debris was a normal part of boating on the river. I remember the high water in 2011, it runs normally about 12' on the Louisiana gauge. In 2011 it was up to 22' - 23' with a 5 - 6 mph current, normal about 2 mph, stayed high until the middle of July. It's been pretty much normal ever since, small spring rise in 2012. I'am planning on going to Muscatine, Ia. in early June for the Keels & Wheels event & maybe farther if nothing comes up. We make a few trips each year to Hannibal, Mo. 27 miles each way, a short walk to several places to eat & enjoy a cold beer, great day trip. I'am usually on my boat from the middle of March to mid December, I won't be out on the river this year as early as I'ld like because I pulled the manicooler off the port engine to have it cleaned, tested & ceramic coated. It's on it's way to a shop in Tacoma, Wa. I have to re-torque the heads & pull the injectors to test & rebuild if needed, 1500 hour service. Capn Craig if you get down this way be sure to stop by I'am on D dock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2686819239.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	16135

Pic of manicooler