Hello from Scotland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manny

Hi there
We just purchased a 55ft Dutch steel, ex fishing trawler. She is still in full trawler guise powered by the legendary gardner 8lxb.

Due to the time of year and weather over the next few months, very little will actually be happening to her, but it gives us time to plan, dream and sell our plastic sail boat.

As soon as all the other boats in the yard splash in for the new season, and make some space for us, we will be coming out for new anodes and to get all the shelter deck removed. We will go straight back in the water to spend the year as a big day boat whilst building or commissioning a new superstructure.

Hopefully we have not bitten off more than we can chew.

Hi Manny,

welcome to TF.

You have an interesting project to make a conversions for you as a new Trawler. You will surely be truly a seaworthy boat for future adventures. It would be great to be able to keep track of your big project with pictures and story. Here you can find a lot of friendly people with extensive knowledge of almost everything associated with Trawler. Much good for you to design and implement your dream.

NBs

This interesting old steel boat project and the lower second link will take you to the whole story.

https://www.passagemaker.com/cruiser-reviews/building-brupeg-fish-boat-conversion

And

Full video story https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brupeg+channel

Last edited:
Hoots mon, it's a braw thing ye are doin' there! :)

We need pics, plenty of pics as you restore her.

Thanks lads
Aye, she is a braw lump of steel! Been following the Brupeg squad for a while and learned a few wee tricks from their videos.

Once the conversion starts taking place we will take and post lots of pictures. It's going to be a mission cleaning and tidying up 50 years of fisherman abuse.

Very cool project. Welcome and good luck from Clan Buchanan.
IMG_4453.JPG

Welcome.
I've cruised thru Scotland twice now and am looking forward to returning.

Welcome aboard! Rangers or Celtic? :)

Our West Coast is one of the most beautiful cruising grounds in the world, but our weather can be unforgiving.
She will draw about 2m once the new super structure is on.
Rangers or Celtic? In a room full of Rangers supporters, I'm a Celtic fan, and vice versa. I prefer rugby.

Rangers or Celtic? In a room full of Rangers supporters, I'm a Celtic fan, and vice versa.

You're a brave man! (Or is that a Braveheart?)

Wow!! Beautiful boat but a big project. Bring money!! Welcome to the forum, please keep us abreast of progress.

Need pics of that Gardner. Awsome motor!

Thank you for all the kind words.

Although most of the shelter deck and whaleback has been cut and craned off, serious work is not planned until the new year.

Whilst digging through a pile of shite in the aft crew quarters, dully lit by a wee torch, finding gearbox manuals and old fishing licences it did dawn on me the sheer size of what lays ahead of us.
40 years of fishing has definitely left its mark, and smell.
You forget that although she's a boat, she was built to be a tool, and to do a job.
Being airy and comfortable was not one of those criteria.

She is sporting a fragrance of fish, diesel and damp, with odd hints of whisky and cheap wine.

I have made a list to work to, and as long as I stick to the list and not get carried away with other projects, it will all work out.

All the shelter deck has been removed leaving a huge open deck.

We spent a few weeks prepping the engine which is a 8l3b and not a 8lx, and got her starting and running.
We had a 5 hour motor to the boat yard as she wouldn't go faster than 4.5kn due to all the growth.

Now that she is out the water we can inspect her hull which will require a new rudder and plating before she gets painted.

Due to welding and plating required, we started pulling out the fish hold so that we can get everything back to steel.

If people are interested, I'll keep posting pictures as the work progresses.

Attachments

• 20190525_132646.jpg
    20190525_132646.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190525_132755.jpg
    20190525_132755.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190526_171523.jpg
    20190526_171523.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190526_163615.jpg
    20190526_163615.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 47
She came in at 55 tons On the hoist. Her light weight is supposed to be 40tons, so not too sure where the additional 15tons comes from.

Our West Coast is one of the most beautiful cruising grounds in the world, but our weather can be unforgiving.
She will draw about 2m once the new super structure is on.
Rangers or Celtic? In a room full of Rangers supporters, I'm a Celtic fan, and vice versa. I prefer rugby.

If you cruise near Dunvegan Castle, give a wave to my extended family. And please do post pictures of your progress. :thumb:

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "If people are interested, I'll keep posting pictures as the work progresses." ABSOLUTELY!!!!

100.webp

What plating is needed exactly?

Manny, by all means, give us photos and keep us updated. 'Tis a great project and we wish you well. Interested in the Gardner engine, shoot us a few photos.

Not yet . . . and guilty as charged. [emoji3]

My dad and I went to the Isle of Sky about 10 years ago. Agree, it is a mystical/magical place. Spent the night above a wonderful pub (can’t remember the name [emoji30]) after a night of drinks and dinner.

My dad and I went to the Isle of Sky about 10 years ago. Agree, it is a mystical/magical place. Spent the night above a wonderful pub (can’t remember the name [emoji30]) after a night of drinks and dinner.

We’re going in the next year or two, for sure.

My brother came back from a visit with some wonderful stories about the clan.

It seems one of my ancestors in the 1300s was “visiting” the wife of a rival clan chief and, upon leaving her bed chambers, he was confronted by the chief’s prize bull. Armed only with a dirk, he slew the bull, cut off its horn and took it to Dunvegan Castle where it has resided ever since. The rival chief’s wife was so impressed, she left her husband for my ancestor, starting a long and bitter clan war. Tradition requires each clan chief to fill the horn to the brim—two imperial pints of wine or whatever’s handy—and down it in a single draught to prove his or her worthiness.

When I heard this marvelous story, I immediately called my wife and said, “Listen to this! Doesn’t it explain a lot about me?”

“Yes,” she said. “It explains the bullshit!”

What plating is needed exactly?

Let me know if I'm posting too many pictures.
Having done some projects in the past, I regret not taking enough pictures.

Get ready for this.......

Attachments

• 20190525_131836.jpg
    20190525_131836.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190525_130023.jpg
    20190525_130023.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190525_131858.jpg
    20190525_131858.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190525_125558.jpg