Hello from San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben Johnson

Hi, new to the forum but not to boating. From humble beginnings with a 10’ Jon boat when i was 8 years old to my current 30’ Chaparral, and from boating in my native Florida, then Michigan and now California, I love being on the water! We’re a family of 5 with three kids, a 15 yo and two 12 yo children. So while our 30’ Chaparral seemed like a big boat compared to the 24’ we had prior, we’re rapidly outgrowing her. So we’re very early on in our research for the next bigger boat - and which brought me here, to learn more about the trawler-style boat. We’ve always had the “express cruiser” style and had decided a fly bridge is on our “must” list for the next boat. I had never considered a trawler-style before. My understanding of them is they’re slow-going, fuel efficient, stable hulls. But I know little more about them, and I like the capability of cruising in the mid 20’s. But at a recent boat show I stepped aboard a Beneteau “Swift Trawler” which intrigued me. It seems at least some manufacturers have a “semi-displacement” hull which gives boaters the option of slow-cruising and enjoying the ride in a very fuel-efficient fashion, or kicking it up at least around 15-20 knots or so which still appear to be more fuel efficient than the traditional “cruising yachts” of the size we’d be looking at (34-42’ range). I’ve never actually been on a trawler and am curious about the stability in rough seas - I like to slow the Chaparral down and slow cruise but if there are any waves at all it sways a lot and the kids turn green, so I need to kick it back up to a planing attitude. My assumption is the trawler style must be more stable (akin to a sailboat?)...Anyway, sorry for the long post but I look forward to perusing this site to learn more about these fascinating boats and get better acquainted with the builders, quality, recommendations etc. Thanks in advance! Ben

I like to slow the Chaparral down and slow cruise but if there are any waves at all it sways a lot and the kids turn green, so I need to kick it back up to a planing attitude. My assumption is the trawler style must be more stable (akin to a sailboat?)
Welcome aboard, Ben. I have had just about everything since 1995. Express cruisers, sport fishers, trawlers, etc. My last boat before this one was a 32' Halvorsen trawler. I had it 8 years & enjoyed cruising & fishing out of it although it was a little small for the run to Catalina Island. It took the sea well enough but at 8.4 knots it took most of the day to go 70 miles. So, I opted to go back to a 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan semi displacement that can cruise at any speed up to 20 knots. (WOT)

This area, Southern Cal, does not have any destinations to cruise to that don't involve running on the outside. So, with a boat that cruises at 15-20 knots your weather window is smaller and the time running on the outside is drastically reduced.

In areas like the Cal Delta & the Seattle area, I would have a trawler. Quieter water, Island cruising and not so far from neat destinations.

That's been my experience & I hope it helps with your decision on your next boat.

Last edited:
Codger2 has it right. We've had our sundeck semi-displacement trawler in San Diego over twenty years now so we know the waters pretty good. Our trawler cruises at 8.5 knots (sipping fuel) and is "roly-poly" when we get out past the breakwater. If fuel burn is not an issue, go for the faster boat.

Welcome Ben J.
Seems like you are already on the right track.

I hope to be passing thru SD this summer.

Thanks for all the quick feedback! So I think (since I DO want the option of cruising in the mid 20’s if needed) a semi-displacement hull is what I’m looking at. What are the trade offs (other than the obvious - speed) between a semi-displacement hull, full displacement hull, and a planing hull? Even a planing hull achieves better fuel economy when running slow - and I’ve experienced what that ride feels like. What I haven’t been able to compare (yet) is what the difference is in ride on a semi or full displacement hull...thanks for all the info - I’m soaking this all in...

Labels can be dangerous. What you've described so far is the desire to have a boat that will run 15-20 knots, the desire to have a smooth ride, the need for space for a family of five plus friends and the fact that usage will be in the San Diego area and mostly weekends or a week at a time.

As Codger2 described you're in a unique boating area. Not a whole lot close. You're also dealing with kids. My wife and I are kids and we don't like slow. You mentioned Swift Trawler and it and many other boats fit your requirements. As to fuel efficiency, a lot will be determined by the speeds you travel. Many boats can be efficient at slow speeds but not so at faster.

Your next factor is going to be your budget. Don't go to the limits as that doesn't leave you room for adapting and renovating and upgrading and surprises.

Look around the docks in your area and see what people there have found to work for that type cruising. Then I suggest with a budget and size range in mind, just go to Yacht World and do a search with that criteria. Add in a general location if you wish, but primarily you're not looking yet for a boat to buy, but to see what boats might meet your needs. Look at the boats carefully and form opinions. There will be a lot of "I don't like" and "I like" and "won't work for us." However, you'll find yourself forming some opinions.

A lot of cruisers on this site cruise alone or with just a spouse. I picture you having a minimum of 5 aboard and often having 7 or 8 aboard.

Wifey B: Easy for me to spend your money, but...

I see the Sabre coming up short in accommodations. Your kids might find excuses not to go along. One thing is kids like time with their friends and a boat could be perfect for their friends joining but this boat doesn't have the space. The bow stateroom is ok but the dinette conversion isn't a full size bed. Only one head. :nonono:

Also, a little larger you might get more seaworthiness. You've already mentioned green kids. :eek: By larger, I don't mean necessarily longer.

And the flybridge is small. I see it as if it was just stuck on a downeast boat and that's exactly what was done. I don't personally life any of the two story downeast. That's a reason Grand Banks/Palm Beach really need the new GB boats. Plastering a bridge on n Eastbay or Palm Beach doesn't work. I like Sabre boats but I don't like the 48 flybridge either. :hide:

Maybe those kids B&B mentions turn green in rough weather. :)
Regarding the Swift Trawler,TF has a "Beneteau Swift Trawler" section. Scroll down the home page to find it,and read the recent threads.
There are other 40ft "trawlers" with more accommodation and main cabin space than Sabre seem to have in 42. I`m thinking the 2 cabin Clipper 40 sold here, which I think sells as Mariner in USA. The Sabre "galley down" (not everyone`s choice)didn`t add much to the salon but reduced the sleeping area. Cockpit looked tight too.

There are other 40ft "trawlers" with more accommodation and main cabin space than Sabre seem to have in 42. I`m thinking the 2 cabin Clipper 40 sold here, which I think sells as Mariner in USA. The Sabre "galley down" (not everyone`s choice)didn`t add much to the salon but reduced the sleeping area. Cockpit looked tight too.

Wifey B: That's why I said "bigger" but not necessarily longer than the Sabre. :)

Keep in mind that both the semi-displacement and full displacement hull “trawlers” will be rolly at slow speeds if not stabilized with active fins or paravanes. Just because it’s marketed as a “trawler” doesn’t mean it will not be rolly. Take a ride on a few if possible.

Back
Top Bottom