Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Member
 
SoCal's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Hello from San Diego

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new boater and have learned a lot from this site already, so I thought it was time to post a hello. My wife and I recently retired and moved to San Diego late last year.

I lived in a floating home on the Columbia for a couple of years where I kept my first boat, an old 21' foot Glasply I bought in 2014. I was initially planning on buying a 28 to 30' sailboat when I retired so I went through ASA's 101 and 103 courses on the SF bay. But due to health issues and my wife's knees, we ended up with an old 26' Nordic Tug.

I know it's tiny next to what most trawler owners have, but for me it's a huge step up in complexity. Having a working head is so cool and the 4 cylinder Yanmar looks to be twice the size of my Merc 350! Also, offshore swells are a whole new ballgame compared to the 4+/- foot wind driven waves in the bay!
__________________
Advertisement

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,416
Wifey B: New world of adventure.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
dimer2's Avatar
 
City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,660
Welcome to the Trawler Forum!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 574
Welcome SoCal.


Just take your time and it will all work out for you mate and you will find you will be enjoying your NT-26.


Cheers.


H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,616
We boated out of San Diego for a few years, although in a sailboat. There are two very nice anchorages to try out:

Mariners Basin in Mission Bay just inside the inlet. Lots of room to anchor and you can beach your dinghy at the public park and go over to the ocean side. 72 hour anchorage limit.

Glorietta Bay is maybe even nicer, particularly if you are anchored up close to the golf course. You do have to call the Harbor Police and get an anchorage permit for the night and there are restrictions on how often you can do this. Check out Active Captain for details.

There really isn't a good dinghy landing but we sneaked into the Coronado Yacht Club on the north end to tie up our dinghy and went ashore for a fabulous Sunday brunch (at a fabulous price) at the del Coronado Hotel.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,641
Welcome to TF . I think the 26 and 37 are the two best looking of the fleet .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
Guru
 
North Baltic sea's Avatar
 
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 943
Hi SoCal and welcome to the discussion, learn and share ideas.


Happy tuggin’
NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #8
Member
 
SoCal's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
We boated out of San Diego for a few years, although in a sailboat. There are two very nice anchorages to try out:

Mariners Basin in Mission Bay just inside the inlet. Lots of room to anchor and you can beach your dinghy at the public park and go over to the ocean side. 72 hour anchorage limit.

Glorietta Bay is maybe even nicer, particularly if you are anchored up close to the golf course. You do have to call the Harbor Police and get an anchorage permit for the night and there are restrictions on how often you can do this. Check out Active Captain for details.

There really isn't a good dinghy landing but we sneaked into the Coronado Yacht Club on the north end to tie up our dinghy and went ashore for a fabulous Sunday brunch (at a fabulous price) at the del Coronado Hotel.

David
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Yeah we've cruised by the Glorietta Bay anchorage and it looks like a great place to spend the day. The only place we've anchored so far is just south of the old breakwater that forms the southern entrance of the bay.

A dinghy is near the top of my upgrade list. The down side is that if we keep it on the swim step, it'll force us out of our 25' inexpensive slip (I'm 28' OAL).
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
MV Content's Avatar
 
City: Woodbridge UK
Vessel Name: MV Content
Vessel Model: Fellows & Stewart 58' Pilothouse Cutter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 116
We are enjoying a few weeks in SD right now, after our trip down from BC. Cycled from west end of Shelter Island to the city yesterday, and plan to do the same in my skiff today. The city uses the water really well, lots of safe cycle paths along the shoreline, and the transient anchorages are tremendous. Currently in a $1/foot slip at the police dock (max 15 days). And the climate!
MV Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Member
 
SoCal's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Content View Post
We are enjoying a few weeks in SD right now, after our trip down from BC. Cycled from west end of Shelter Island to the city yesterday, and plan to do the same in my skiff today. The city uses the water really well, lots of safe cycle paths along the shoreline, and the transient anchorages are tremendous. Currently in a $1/foot slip at the police dock (max 15 days). And the climate!
Welcome to San Diego! We love it here and I do believe we have the best weather in the country. Don't judge the weather from this is week alone, it's the hottest so far this year.

We live downtown, five blocks from the embarcadero and I'm able to ride my bike along the shoreline four miles to my slip in the Harbor Island West marina. You also might consider taking a side trip to Catalina. I've been there a couple of times, but not in my new boat. The water there is crystal clear with many gorgeous anchorages.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,416
Wifey B: We're enjoying this thread and the blog as it's bringing up memories f our trip down in 2014. You're enjoying many of the same places. The Getty is so freaking awesome.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego all have so much to offer.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #12
Member
 
DaveJasper's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Classy Lady
Vessel Model: '75 CHB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
Are there any visitor slips to rent for a 1-2 night stop in Mission Bay with shore power and bathrooms or is a mooring ball the only option?
DaveJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
Member
 
SoCal's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJasper View Post
Are there any visitor slips to rent for a 1-2 night stop in Mission Bay with shore power and bathrooms or is a mooring ball the only option?
I wish I could give you some advice, but we still haven't gone to Mission Bay ourselves.

I found this after a quick search:
Sailors Choice Mission Bay Harbor Boating and Marine Information

If you make it down, I can recommend some great restaurants and seafood markets!
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,058
Welcome aboard. We used to keep a previous boat in Mission Bay. Loved it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Guru
 
FoxtrotCharlie's Avatar
 
City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We're enjoying this thread and the blog as it's bringing up memories f our trip down in 2014. You're enjoying many of the same places. The Getty is so freaking awesome.

San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego all have so much to offer.

Gee, thanks for including a fellow Mississippian
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #16
Member
 
DaveJasper's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Classy Lady
Vessel Model: '75 CHB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 13
Thanks SoCal. I’ll start working this list.

I just rented a slip for 2 nights at the Marriott Downtown over Memorial Day weekend.
__________________

DaveJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×