Hello from San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoCal

Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 26
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new boater and have learned a lot from this site already, so I thought it was time to post a hello. My wife and I recently retired and moved to San Diego late last year.

I lived in a floating home on the Columbia for a couple of years where I kept my first boat, an old 21' foot Glasply I bought in 2014. I was initially planning on buying a 28 to 30' sailboat when I retired so I went through ASA's 101 and 103 courses on the SF bay. But due to health issues and my wife's knees, we ended up with an old 26' Nordic Tug.

I know it's tiny next to what most trawler owners have, but for me it's a huge step up in complexity. Having a working head is so cool and the 4 cylinder Yanmar looks to be twice the size of my Merc 350! Also, offshore swells are a whole new ballgame compared to the 4+/- foot wind driven waves in the bay!

Welcome to the Trawler Forum!

Welcome SoCal.

Just take your time and it will all work out for you mate and you will find you will be enjoying your NT-26.

Cheers.

H.

We boated out of San Diego for a few years, although in a sailboat. There are two very nice anchorages to try out:

Mariners Basin in Mission Bay just inside the inlet. Lots of room to anchor and you can beach your dinghy at the public park and go over to the ocean side. 72 hour anchorage limit.

Glorietta Bay is maybe even nicer, particularly if you are anchored up close to the golf course. You do have to call the Harbor Police and get an anchorage permit for the night and there are restrictions on how often you can do this. Check out Active Captain for details.

There really isn't a good dinghy landing but we sneaked into the Coronado Yacht Club on the north end to tie up our dinghy and went ashore for a fabulous Sunday brunch (at a fabulous price) at the del Coronado Hotel.

David

Welcome to TF . I think the 26 and 37 are the two best looking of the fleet .

We boated out of San Diego for a few years, although in a sailboat. There are two very nice anchorages to try out:

Mariners Basin in Mission Bay just inside the inlet. Lots of room to anchor and you can beach your dinghy at the public park and go over to the ocean side. 72 hour anchorage limit.

Glorietta Bay is maybe even nicer, particularly if you are anchored up close to the golf course. You do have to call the Harbor Police and get an anchorage permit for the night and there are restrictions on how often you can do this. Check out Active Captain for details.

There really isn't a good dinghy landing but we sneaked into the Coronado Yacht Club on the north end to tie up our dinghy and went ashore for a fabulous Sunday brunch (at a fabulous price) at the del Coronado Hotel.

David
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Yeah we've cruised by the Glorietta Bay anchorage and it looks like a great place to spend the day. The only place we've anchored so far is just south of the old breakwater that forms the southern entrance of the bay.

A dinghy is near the top of my upgrade list. The down side is that if we keep it on the swim step, it'll force us out of our 25' inexpensive slip (I'm 28' OAL).

We are enjoying a few weeks in SD right now, after our trip down from BC. Cycled from west end of Shelter Island to the city yesterday, and plan to do the same in my skiff today. The city uses the water really well, lots of safe cycle paths along the shoreline, and the transient anchorages are tremendous. Currently in a $1/foot slip at the police dock (max 15 days). And the climate!

We are enjoying a few weeks in SD right now, after our trip down from BC. Cycled from west end of Shelter Island to the city yesterday, and plan to do the same in my skiff today. The city uses the water really well, lots of safe cycle paths along the shoreline, and the transient anchorages are tremendous. Currently in a $1/foot slip at the police dock (max 15 days). And the climate!
Welcome to San Diego! We love it here and I do believe we have the best weather in the country. Don't judge the weather from this is week alone, it's the hottest so far this year.

We live downtown, five blocks from the embarcadero and I'm able to ride my bike along the shoreline four miles to my slip in the Harbor Island West marina. You also might consider taking a side trip to Catalina. I've been there a couple of times, but not in my new boat. The water there is crystal clear with many gorgeous anchorages.

Wifey B: We're enjoying this thread and the blog as it's bringing up memories f our trip down in 2014. You're enjoying many of the same places. The Getty is so freaking awesome. :D

San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego all have so much to offer. :)

Are there any visitor slips to rent for a 1-2 night stop in Mission Bay with shore power and bathrooms or is a mooring ball the only option?

Welcome aboard. We used to keep a previous boat in Mission Bay. Loved it.

Wifey B: We're enjoying this thread and the blog as it's bringing up memories f our trip down in 2014. You're enjoying many of the same places. The Getty is so freaking awesome. :D

San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego all have so much to offer. :)

Gee, thanks for including a fellow Mississippian:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks SoCal. I’ll start working this list.

I just rented a slip for 2 nights at the Marriott Downtown over Memorial Day weekend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom