Hello from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bountyhunter44

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ceaseless Explorer
Vessel Make
Seaton 48
My wife and I relocated from the states. We have now been here well over a year. We've made great friends and great contacts. We live at Marina Vallarta. If you are coming down this way, give us a shout.

Welcome! We are considering doing the Baja Ha Ha this year, and may continue south.

I see you have a Bayliner 38 - is that the boat you have in PV? If so, how did it get there?

Peter

The 3888 is up in SF Bay. It has not been down south. The previous owner has taken it to Alaska for the summer then back to SF. It handled really well. He reported 1 gallon a mile at about 1450 rpm-ish on the Hinos.

We took a 38' Californian as far south as Long Beach from SF and back and it handled well. Going back up, took a little water on our nose at Point Conception, but other than that, the little old trawler was sound and safe.

We are presently looking for another trawler for here in Puerto Vallarta.

Wifey B: We only had 3 days in Puerto Vallarta in January 2015, docked at Marina Vallarta. However, we loved it there. Were shocked at how many didn't speak kindly of stopping there. Apparently they never got off their boats. Beautiful city to just stroll around. Art pops up where you least suspect it. We will come back through one day. :)

Greetings and Welcome BH44 -

We would be interested in hearing more about PV. Costs? Good quality groceries? Lodging? What do YOU think?

Thanks!

Jeff,

A little info about lifestyle and Cost of Living here.

FOOD & QUALITY: As far as food goes, GMO hasn't made into the mainstream here yet, veggies are of good quality. Food is about 50% of where I was in the states. My go to is a 4 street taco deal for $2.50. My T-Bones are grass fed, come from a store called Carne Selecta and are $117.00 (pesos) per kilo. That is about $2.88 (US) a pound!

STORES & SHOPPING: Our stores include Sams Club, Costco, Soriana, La Comer. These are all super sized "big box" stores. My favorite is La Comer, it is a cross between Trader Joes and Whole Foods with a big box feel and Target pricing. The produce is amazing and I've found every exotic item there except for Bragg's Nutritional Yeast, lol. We also have a Home Depot, Walmart, and Autozone as well.

MEDICAL & RX: Dr. Consults range in price between $2.00-15.00 per visit. Simple trips for Rx are about $2.00 per visit. A lot of items are OTC here. A good tip would be to stock up your cruising drug box and get meds here. Two weeks ago, I paid $150.00 for 2 Urology visits, lab work, Rx (meds) 2 consults and a follow up.

AIRPORT & AIRLINES: The airport is super close and small enough to get in and out fast. Airlines fly in & out to just about everywhere in the states from here so it is easy to get back for family and also have friends and family drop in as they so often do now. Couldn't get friends to visit me in Idaho the 5 years I lived there, but now I have friends showing up at my door now that I am here, figures.

OUR 'HOOD: We live at Marina Vallarta and it is very first world here. Lots of shopping and restaurants all walking distance. As far as the city goes, this is one of the safest in the country. There are also a lot of ExPats here, so if you miss games or home cooking, you can always stop at one of the American and Canadian owned Sports Bars to get a taste of home.

VETERANS: For Veterans, we have just formed American Legion Post 12. We do work with VA and local vets and VA will cover your costs here. I have just recently been asked to step up as Adjutant for the Post. We have also successfully liaised with the U.S Navy Attache and will be able to receive inbound US Navy and Coast Guard ships and assist with R&R as they come in to port and take some liberty.

BOATING INFO: The bay is huge and protected. Great for folks learning the lines. I enjoy spearfishing and scuba diving and there are some great places just 10 to 20 minutes away. I don't have to wear my 5mm wetsuit like I did in California nor my dry suit like Washington.

BOAT WORK: Some friends at Paradise Village Marina recently did some stainless work on their Island Packet. They had welded SS lifelines and stanchions installed that cost them $3,600.00 US. That would have been in the neighborhood of 8k. We have great independent contractors that do everything from fiberglass to motor work. The downside is availability of specialty items. Some friends looking to replace their dink had to have one shipped in from the US. Granted there are tenders available here at marine shops such as Zaragosas Marine, but the one they wanted was back ordered. So they ordered theirs from the states and then had to pay import fees of a few hundred dollars.

LODGING: I have a friend paying 800 US for a 3/2 with a pool in a downtown location. We are paying $1250.00 for a Condo at the marina. My wife is a professional writer and requires high speed InterWebs. We have had no issue with Zoom calls, streaming videos etc.

OUR PLANS: We plan to live here and use Puerto Vallarta as our "base of operations" for the cruising grounds between Sea of Cortez, Panama and the Carib.

I hope this info helps some of you guys out.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wifey B,

Keep us in mind when you come back through. We have been as far south along the coast to Barra de Navidad and as far north to Sayulita. Barre de Navidad is a great little marina and anchorage for those who want to be on the hook. It is home to a cool little fishing and tourist town and a very protected lagoon.

The lagoon is deep enough to come in with one of those rag boats with deep keels aka sailboats.

Google Barra de Navidad, Jalisco when you have a chance and look at the satellite imagery to learn more.

Wifey B,

Keep us in mind when you come back through. We have been as far south along the coast to Barra de Navidad and as far north to Sayulita. Barre de Navidad is a great little marina and anchorage for those who want to be on the hook. It is home to a cool little fishing and tourist town and a very protected lagoon.

The lagoon is deep enough to come in with one of those rag boats with deep keels aka sailboats.

Google Barra de Navidad, Jalisco when you have a chance and look at the satellite imagery to learn more.

Wifey B: We loved Marina Vallarta. We were on our way home from Washington. Our previous stop was Marina Mazatlan. Our next stop was Club de Yachts de Acapulco so a long run south from there and a stop that one would only make at times Acapulco is considered safe. I just looked now and marina considered safe, but town not so much so. We explored daytime only and in a large group. Right now US Government employees are forbidden from traveling to Acapulco. :mad:

I have no idea when we'll do a return trip to the West Coast. Likely a few years away. Or maybe sell current boat, buy new in Washington and repeat as we did before.

Summer 2022 is East Coast. Winter to Caribbean we hope. 2023 is loop. 2024 undecided. Leaning to Europe but then length of trip there limited by Schengen. :)

We've loved every stop we've made in Mexico, albeit not that comfortable in Acapulco and wouldn't be so much today in Cancun as we were. We've been to Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Mazatlan, and Vallarta and loved them all. Acapulco, loved but safety an issue. Brief stop in Huatulco. On the East Coast to Puerto Aventuras, which would be favored East cost location for expatriate living, and Cozumel, to Cancun and Isla Mujeres. Loved three of the four. Cancun can be fun but crime has risen and partying is out of control, mainly due to US tourists. :)

You are right on the money with the towns you mentioned. As far as the West Coast of Mexico, Acapulco is sketchy right now, the other locations are good for ExPats. The Loop is in our future as well, but we have to find the right boat that can do it all, or get a Loop specific boat then sell it when we are done.

Out of all the locations you have mentioned in the Riveria Maya, Puerto Aventuras would be my choice. Second choice would be Bacalar. Cancun and Tulum are having issues. Party goers bring in the drug trade, then things get violent. Tulum is and will continue to be a powder keg as it continues to grow.

I chose the West Side for several reasons, safety being number one. Number two weather, 3 geography, 4 no sargasso issues. The Riveria Maya is gettting worse every year. It seems to be the unspoken white elephant in the room but business ventures have already shut down due to the smell of rotting seaweed.

You are right on the money with the towns you mentioned. As far as the West Coast of Mexico, Acapulco is sketchy right now, the other locations are good for ExPats. The Loop is in our future as well, but we have to find the right boat that can do it all, or get a Loop specific boat then sell it when we are done.

Out of all the locations you have mentioned in the Riveria Maya, Puerto Aventuras would be my choice. Second choice would be Bacalar. Cancun and Tulum are having issues. Party goers bring in the drug trade, then things get violent. Tulum is and will continue to be a powder keg as it continues to grow.

I chose the West Side for several reasons, safety being number one. Number two weather, 3 geography, 4 no sargasso issues. The Riveria Maya is gettting worse every year. It seems to be the unspoken white elephant in the room but business ventures have already shut down due to the smell of rotting seaweed.

Wifey B: We're just closer to the East Coast. 3 or 4 days to Puerto Aventuras. My fave spot still would be Isla Bastimentos, Panama, but due to it's remote location might be far better for visits than living. Flying in and out just difficult. :)

So many wonderful places in the world. I think many fail to appreciate what other countries and locales offer. :ermm:

Welcome and thanks for joining us. My wife and I enjoyed Puerto Vallarta very much on our honeymoon nearly 13 years ago. I have very limited international travel experience but based upon everything I have heard, we couldn't have made a better choice.

All you US citizens (or tax persons meaning green card holders and others) who are living and working remotely in another state or country remember you are still required to file both federal and state (if your state has one) income tax returns on all your income regardless of the source, job, pension, social security, etc.

ProMaritime.

Yes, correct. You must file an FBAR (Foreign Bank And Financial Accounts). All bank accounts etc in other countries if any of those accounts aggregate value exceeds 10k US.

Foreign earned income exclusion. You can earn up to $112k in a foreign country before having to pay taxes. More info at your friendly neighborhood IRS office.

Back
Top Bottom