Hello from the PNW.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdarling

Vessel Name
Slack Tide
Vessel Make
Tollycraft Trawler/flybridge
I have been a member for a long time but this is my first post. ???

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_165216.jpg
    IMG_20180722_165216.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 60
I never knew Olalla BC existed until your post. Where do you keep your boat moored? Are you on the Fraser River in the above pic?

Hope to see you my way if my boat ever comes out of refit!!

rsn48,
kdarling says he’s from the US.
Lookslike Mt. Rainier to me. But view a mountain from 20 degrees different and usually the’ll look like a different mountain. This pic could be Tacoma too.

By the way we went by your neighborhood on our way to Soentula by Port McNeil. Up on the highway.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Glad you are starting to post. Keep them coming.

Welcome from another PNW Tolly owner! Looks like the Hylebos waterway in Tacoma?

Hey Eric, sorry for the late reply, I was at the Vancouver Wooden Boat show and was "ify ify" when it came to any forum stuff. I was on a friend's Back Cove 33. We powered from Granville Island to Nanaimo in 20 knot winds gusting to 25 knots yesterday. So we didn't spend a great deal of time slamming around out there, he took the boat up to full throttle at 23 knots for about half an hour then settled down into 16 knots as we were really pounding at WOT. It only took three hours, not bad.

Make sure to wave as you pass Qualicum Beach, I'll make sure to look. Actually if you have AIS I could find you. And should you ever, for whatever reason, stop in to French Creek, we can go to the local pub for a brew and food.

Welcome kdarling.

Yeah, looks like Hylabos in Tacoma to me. However, Ollala is on the Pennisula on the west shore of Colvos Passage. If I recall, Ollala used to be a nice thriving little town at the beginning of the last century due to lumber, fishing, and farming. They had built up a commercial dock there at the lagoon and the local fleet of small passenger and cargo boats stopped there regularly.

The commercial shipping dried up after roads were better developed in the region and commercial ferry operations began. When the Narrows Bridge was built that did it. I don't think anything of left of the old docks. The area now is a nice, quiet, residential area and the businesses migrated to other other port towns such as Gig Harbor, Port Orchard, Bremerton, Silverdale etc...

I had a farm in the Ollala valley. The town was mostly on stilts over the water. The pilings gradually go bad and the store falls in the sound. Sometimes the locals salvage the lumber. There was a boat/shipyard. A wood tug, I think Foss, was built there. Before the highways everything moved on the water. There were hundreds of steamers, lots of stories from the old timers.

kdarling, welcome to TF. One of my long term friends lives in Olalla, a guy by the name of Doug. Big, bald and a helluva lot of fun. Also a great boater.

If you get a chance how about posting some pics of your Tolly?

I had a farm in the Ollala valley. The town was mostly on stilts over the water. The pilings gradually go bad and the store falls in the sound. Sometimes the locals salvage the lumber. There was a boat/shipyard. A wood tug, I think Foss, was built there. Before the highways everything moved on the water. There were hundreds of steamers, lots of stories from the old timers.

I’d love to see some photos of Olalla from back when it was many of active business centers on the Peninsula. A lot of little towns like that faded away during the last century.

Welcome from another PNW Tolly owner! Looks like the Hylebos waterway in Tacoma?

Definitely. Just off my slip at Chinook Landing. Big circular thingie is the LNG storage to fuel the two recently converted TOTE ro-ros.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom