Hello From Pawleys Island, S.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAMA

Vessel Name
RAMA
Vessel Make
Cutwater C28
Hi,
Marie and I are beginning our planning phases for the loop in 2021. We will be traveling in our 28' Cutwater. We look forward to reading and soaking up the knowledge that the community has to offer. Hopefully we see you on the water.
Cheers,
Rick

Welcome aboard. My brother is heading down there (from Connecticut) tomorrow to do a tile job for an old customer.

Rob

Welcome.

A boat not unlike mine in size. What is your power? Genny?

What kind of cruise speed do you anticipate?

I could see it being a bit of a challenge (but certainly doable) to do the loop in my 30 Pilot, mostly because we used to cruise in a GB42 and thought it the perfect loop boat. I will be very interested in the accommodations you make to do the loop with things like maybe enclosed canvas covered aft deck to expand the body space in bad weather.

I remember using the GB's radar a LOT in the fogs we encountered on the Tombigbee and Tennessee in the fall. Didn't need it much in the summer. How are you set for navigation electronics?

Welcome aboard. My brother is heading down there (from Connecticut) tomorrow to do a tile job for an old customer.

Rob

Hi Rob,
Originally from Rhode Island. Will it be his first time down here?

Hi Rob,
Originally from Rhode island. Will this be his first time down here?

260 diesel Volvo Penta
Garmin 7212
Adding a Garmin gpsmap 942
Generator, inverter, solar power
Cruise speed projected at 8 knots or so, depending on time and current.
Configuring our space for maximum storage. We will add an aft Bimini for cockpit but will not be enclosing.

260 diesel Volvo Penta
Garmin 7212
Configuring our space for maximum storage. We will add an aft Bimini for cockpit but will not be enclosing.

260 diesel Volvo Penta
Garmin 7212

Great! AIS? either transponder or receive only were both very helpful in seeing around corners for us.

No AIS, We are discussing it. Any thoughts.

Tom and Jody Goldman did the Loop starting in April 2018 aboard a Rossborough 246 with twin 90hp Yamahas. Google their name with a great loop appendage and you will find lots they posted about doing this trip in a smaller vessel.
Welcome.

A boat not unlike mine in size. What is your power? Genny?

What kind of cruise speed do you anticipate?

I could see it being a bit of a challenge (but certainly doable) to do the loop in my 30 Pilot, mostly because we used to cruise in a GB42 and thought it the perfect loop boat. I will be very interested in the accommodations you make to do the loop with things like maybe enclosed canvas covered aft deck to expand the body space in bad weather.

I remember using the GB's radar a LOT in the fogs we encountered on the Tombigbee and Tennessee in the fall. Didn't need it much in the summer. How are you set for navigation electronics?

i'm sure i met them in oriental . but i think they have Suzuki's . we were talking a while . i had the same engine on my skiff (only one). very nice people. they even gave me a shirt .i'll check out there blog . it was another 246 there with Honda power.

welcome to the site . pictures are always welcome.

Hi Rob,
Originally from Rhode island. Will this be his first time down here?

Yes, his first trip to South Carolina. Unfortunatly, it will be mostly work.

Rob

No AIS, We are discussing it. Any thoughts.

I have had receive only for years, and that's OK. But then three years ago, at about the halfway point in the trip, I was asked to install at transponder aboard a boat I was delivering to Lake Michigan. I went to Milltechmarine.com, the company that supplied the receiver on my own boat, and found a Camino 108S transponder for around 400 bucks. The owner also wanted a VHF radio with a polar display of the AIS contacts, I think a Standard Horizon GX 2000. In seven hours I installed two new VHF antennas, the Camino, a NMEA 2000 network linking the Camina to the Garmin chartplotter, and the new VHF linked to the Camino via its NMEA 183 input/output.

Two days later, leaving the Ohio River and entering the Mississippi, we were contacted by a tow coming down the Mississippi. He saw us entering the S-turn there on his AIS and asked us to hold up while he came down. Had we not been transmitting AIS, he would not have seen us, and we would have had a hazardous meeting in the S. Another time we were forced by low water in the Illinois to moor alongside the channel rather than well clear. Several down bound tows whose AIS I saw miles upstream on the plotter responded to my anxious VHF calls (made easy direct their bridge via the AIS-VHF DSC connection to their MMSI) that all would be well as they saw my AIS signal on their plotters.

Now the lock tenders on the rivers have AIS and use it to schedule their activities in the short term.

Doing the loop without an AIS transponder would be a self-inflicted wound.

And I don't know how you feel about radar, but the combination of radar and AIS is just plain unbeatable. However, if you can avoid being underway in low-viz conditions, AIS is still just the best tool to have.

Hello from Charleston. My wife and I are still in the dreaming stage. Can't wait to hear the great stories from y'all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom