Hello.....From North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leanbh Cailin

Vessel Name
Leanbh Cailin
Vessel Make
1990 48' Ocean
My wife, Kathy and I are about to close on our new Trawler. A 2001 Mainship 430 2 stateroom model. We plan to keep her in New Bern, N.C. and liveaboard for a couple of years. I know that the Mainship is not a top of the line trawler but we were looking for comfort and cruisability and only plan to cruise the ICW and the Chesapeake. The name was a way for me to avoid having to name her Baby Girl and still make the wife happy. Would love to hear from anyone coming close to New Bern and the Oriental area......have owned alot of boats and know the area very well......hope to hear from you guys soon.

I know that the Mainship is not a top of the line trawler but we were looking for comfort and cruisability and only plan to cruise the ICW and the Chesapeake.

No need for an apology on your boat. IMO, it's one of the "best bang for the buck" boats on the water. Comfortable, roomy, economical, etc. It's hard to beat!

We have had Skinny Dippin' in New Bern for almost four years now. Just last weekend we moved her to Oriental to see what it's like to be down there full-time. Three-hour shorter of a trip to everywhere we want to boat this year. There are a few Neuse River tenants here at TF. JD, Ben, Bess (my wife), Al Ross is just around the corner in Chacowinity <sp> and George (caltexflanc) down in Morehead. I'm sure I've misses a few, but we have a good contingent of NC folks here.

Last edited:
Welcome! You have a nice model boat; we spent many many happy days on one we used to rent in the SF Bay Area, and once down on Florida. Haven't been on a galley down version, makes sense for a liveaboard couple. What engines do you have? Which marina will you be at? Let us know if you need anything.

Welcome fellow trawlerer Raleighite!:dance:

Hello.......From North Carolina

Wow.....talk about some quick responses.......Thanks to everyone for making us feel right at home. Our vessel has the 3126 Cats on board 300hp. My family has the Cat dealership here in NC so hopefully we won't have any problems, but owning anything other than Cats is not a good thing when as a child we used to go to IHOP and scatch out the word International on the menu.......kind of brain washed I guess......we will be keeping her at Northwest Creek.

She has the 3126 cats in 300 hp and we will be at Northwest Creek......hopefully we will get to do some cruising with some of you guys.

Tom... It's spelled "Chocowinity" :blush:

BTW: What happened to Gonzo?

Welcome LC. We bought our boat out of Northwest Creek a few years back. I'm sure you'll hear from a few more NC trawler-ers over the next few days.

Last edited:
We were in NWCM for the first 18 months we owned ours. We went to Carolina Beach for about 6 months, the returned to New Bern Grand. Now we are down in Oriental for at least 6 months. Then... Who knows?

A friend has a 43 Mainship like yours it is very nice, they love it and use it a lot.
Welcome,
Steve W

Thank you Steve......I really like hearing comments like that. When you make that kind of investment it's nice to hear that you are making a good choice.......thanks again.

Welcome aboard. You have a great vessel. How many millions of people would die to have your boat.

My family has the Cat dealership here in NC so hopefully we won't have any problems, but owning anything other than Cats is not a good thing when as a child we used to go to IHOP and scatch out the word International on the menu.......kind of brain washed I guess......we will be keeping her at Northwest Creek.

So where is Lady Sarah? She is usually berthed right by us at MCYB.

Leanbh Cailin --- Unique boat name -- I googled it to find it's Gaelic for "Baby Girl"

Nice.

Greg took the Lady Sara to Florida to sell here there. Felt like he would have an easier time selling her. He hated doing it but he had had problems with the Lady Sara since he got her.

Mr. Ross.....thank you......yes I didn't relish getting on the radio and calling the Coast Guard or anyone else for that matter using the name Baby Girl.

So where in NWC are you going to be? Say hey to Paul, Dawn and Clancy for us.

We kept two different sailboats in the circle as well as our Mainship 34t. I was there for nine years. As Tom said we are now in NB at the marina behind the DoubleTree. Nothing like being right downtown.

Several of use are going to Oriental for the Easter weekend. Tom and Bess instigated the trip so some of us made slip reservations for the weekend only to find that Bess is taking Tom to Mexico for the weekend. That said we are open for new folks to join us and we will have way more fun than they do in Cancun. You are welcome to come down and join us at the Oriental Marina. But you need to call and make a slip arrangement because they fill up rather quickly.

We will be on "F" Dock near the end on the open side. Really looking forward to it. Going to love the view.

Greg took the Lady Sara to Florida to sell here there. Felt like he would have an easier time selling her. He hated doing it but he had had problems with the Lady Sara since he got her.

I know what you mean, it became kind of a dock joke that there were guys from GP and other providers there every day, for two years that we've been there at least, kind of like the painter on Murphy Brown. We got to know one of the GP guys pretty well, it was really his full time job. Gorgeous boat. Any plans to replace?

Hello, I am Bob Fuller and my wife and I have out Outer Reef Trawler docked at Beard Creek. We are new to the area and are looking for some cruising partners. I can be reached on my cell at 919-606-6371. Hope to hear from you.

Not sure what he plans to do.......it was a beautiful boat but I think it kind of wore him out. Not sure if he is going ot get another or not.

Hello, I am Bob Fuller and my wife and I have out Outer Reef Trawler docked at Beard Creek. We are new to the area and are looking for some cruising partners. I can be reached on my cell at 919-606-6371. Hope to hear from you.

How do you get a trawler into Beard Creek? Isn't that next to Camp Seafarer?

How do you get a trawler into Beard Creek? Isn't that next to Camp Seafarer?

+2. I never ventured in there because the soundings looked way too skinny for my 5' draft.

However, if you want to join in sometime, or just like some guidance, we'd be happy to introduce you to the great cruising grounds within one or two days of you... or beyond when you are ready.

Wow.....talk about some quick responses.......Thanks to everyone for making us feel right at home. Our vessel has the 3126 Cats on board 300hp. My family has the Cat dealership here in NC so hopefully we won't have any problems, but owning anything other than Cats is not a good thing when as a child we used to go to IHOP and scatch out the word International on the menu.......kind of brain washed I guess......we will be keeping her at Northwest Creek.

Welcome to the forum, I have a friend who purchased 430 last year he is refitting to do the loop in Oct. planning on taking 2 years. His has another brand of power. I worked for IH years ago & our parts dept had about $200,000.00 in parts Dean the local cat dealer had about $2,000,000.00 + a Cat warehouse about 10 miles away. Never understood how we ever sold anything. Good luck with the new boat.

Getting our boat into Beard Creek has worked fine give the draft of 2.5'. It is a tricky weave around the channel markers at the neck and then hugging the eastern shore line. Camp Seafarer is down at Minnesot.
Looking forward to connect with the group this season. I will post a picture of Little Toot when I figure out the format. Bob

Getting our boat into Beard Creek has worked fine give the draft of 2.5'. It is a tricky weave around the channel markers at the neck and then hugging the eastern shore line. Camp Seafarer is down at Minnesot.
Looking forward to connect with the group this season. I will post a picture of Little Toot when I figure out the format. Bob

We know that we can get a Carolina Skiff up there also but the boat this gentlemen is driving is a 43 Mainship and it drafts 4'+. With the wind blowing with any form of a west factor that makes Beard Creek skinny for your 2.5' boat as well. Least of all a 4'+ draft. Doesn't it?

When Bob said he had an Outer Reef trawler, i was imagining one of the big ones made with that brand name over the last 10 years. Now I'm curious as to what the boat is and what it looks like!

We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere like Ocracoke, South River, Cape Lookout, or any of the other fine anchorages within 50 miles or so of Oriental? I used Oriental as it is the most central vis New Bern, Morehead City, Washington, etc. Our boat accommodates 20 or 30 people easily, we've had as many as a dozen dinghys tied up to her.

Back
Top Bottom