Originally Posted by Nevada Mike
I am in SE Alaska outside of Ketchikan. I think there may be charters available there. I will start looking into that idea as well. We have always wanted to run north a little bit but my boat is not quite up to the task with the unpredictable weather. I must admit with the tides up there I am a bit nervous for a first time charter. As it is when I bring my boat into the dock and the tide is running over 3 with a crosswind I feel a bit of pressure.
Hi Nevada Mike,
Clarence Strait sure can be a bear in a small boat, especially with wind opposed to tidal current. We got stuck in Coffman Cove for 5 days in August a few years ago (before the floats were upgraded), waiting for 30+ knots in Clarence to wind down.
OTOH, with careful attention to weather conditons and forecast, cruising Southeast in our 22' and now 26' boats has been a delight (most of the time). We've traveled all over most of SE since 1996, and are heading up again this summer. There are lots of places where wind and seas are typically less fierce than near Lincoln Rock. Most docks have little or no current to deal with, and the anchorages are lovely.
If you're considering a charter out of Ketchikan (or Juneau - Nordic Tugs are available there) or any other town, I'd be happy to discuss routes, strategies, and anchorages that might be interesting and not too stressful for first time cruising.