Hello from Mauk Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobjr59

Vessel Name
n/a
Vessel Make
n/a in search of
Hi I'm Bobby and I've been thinking of either building a Trawler using George Buehler's design or buying a project boat in need of some tlc I've found a few that is within a days drive but I'm 61 and not as able as I once was.

Welcome.

you mean you are not able to drive for a day to see these boats, but you are thinking of building one? Or that you are second-thinking buying a project boat?

Welcome aboard. I think that I would go the refurb route...

Welcome.

you mean you are not able to drive for a day to see these boats, but you are thinking of building one? Or that you are second-thinking buying a project boat?

I use to drive non stop for more than a few days at a time and when I said within a day it's usually 850-900 miles one way but as I'm getting older
I need to limit what kind of or how much of a project I need to tackle like the 1984 35' trawler I found with a Perkins that needs rebuilding or replacing
but if I choose to buy it I'll more than likely rebuild the Perkins myself which
I've not done in 40 years but with the right manuals, it shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to TF, and good luck with whatever you do. You will need a bit...:)

Good luck here! There are so many good boats around in various states of needing work, I wouldn't think a newbuild would be practical. Why not buy a running project? Plenty of good vessels around that need repower that are at giveaway prices...

Just MY opinion.
Buy a 'turn key' boat, modify it as you desire and enjoy life, using your boat.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard y'all. I concur with the above. Buy a "turnkey" or running project. You will have MORE than enough to do. GUARANTEED!!!

Welcome!

You didn't mention finances, but it's been said that there's nothing more expensive than a "free" boat. I'd add that the next most expensive thing is a cheap boat that "needs TLC."

Obviously the ideal is a turn-key boat. For whatever reason, you haven't included that on your list.

I've never built a boat. But I've built houses and renovated houses. Building is FAR easier. I'm not sure the same goes for boats. Some things are easier done while putting it together.

I suspect there's a "sweet spot" where you can buy a reasonably priced boat that's in not-too-bad shape, and the repairs required are within your capabilities. Unfortunately the usual story is that the proud owner got overwhelmed and let the boat decline for years until they finally admitted to themselves they had to sell. Or passed away before reaching that point. Those boats are almost always not worth the effort. And they are often priced by the owner at what they USED to be worth, not what they're worth today.

Keep looking on line, and run any candidates by us here. We can help you find the hidden problems before you buy. There may even be a member nearby the seller who can go take a quick peek at it before you commit to a long drive.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom