Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Newbie in savannah

Hi. We are on (in a house) the icw and watching everybody go north and south for ten years now. Want to do some cruising soon but have to sell our Bayliner2859 to move to the next boat. We did the half loop in it two years ago but really it was a struggle. We got here having sold our Celestial 50 pilothouse in 2003 because it was almost 7 ft draft. Great for when we were on the west coast but a mistake here. Anyway, I am kind of thinking of the Maryland 37 so if y'all have any thoughts about it, let me know. Thanks. Greg
gregarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
At Isle of Hope Marina for the next week on our slow crawl back to New Jersey.

Buy me a beer at the Sandfly Cafe and I'll spill my guts!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious View Post
Hi. We are on (in a house) the icw and watching everybody go north and south for ten years now. Want to do some cruising soon but have to sell our Bayliner2859 to move to the next boat. We did the half loop in it two years ago but really it was a struggle. We got here having sold our Celestial 50 pilothouse in 2003 because it was almost 7 ft draft. Great for when we were on the west coast but a mistake here. Anyway, I am kind of thinking of the Maryland 37 so if y'all have any thoughts about it, let me know. Thanks. Greg

Your right, a 7 foot draft on the Georgia ICW is definitely a problem. In SC & NC there would be some rough patches as well. Don't know much about a Maryland 37 other than the great fuel economy you get from a cat. If I could afford one, I would consider it.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

nice to hear from you. We are a few miles from Isle of Hope. Fyi the cafe is not one of our hangouts but either Jalapenos or Driftaway is. avoid debs. Seems a local firefighter was shot there last year and there is A big hoorah about finding his killer. The local Lincoln dealer is sponsoring ads to find out more. Savannah may not be the murder capital of the US, but it isn't far away. Have u read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Lots of stuff happens in Savannah that the locals would rather u not know about. Don't be walking alone in the city at night.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
nice to hear from you. We are a few miles from Isle of Hope. Fyi the cafe is not one of our hangouts but either Jalapenos or Driftaway is. avoid debs. Seems a local firefighter was shot there last year and there is A big hoorah about finding his killer. The local Lincoln dealer is sponsoring ads to find out more. Savannah may not be the murder capital of the US, but it isn't far away. Have u read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? Lots of stuff happens in Savannah that the locals would rather u not know about. Don't be walking alone in the city at night.
I moved to Savannah to our company home office in 1966. As sales manager it was my responsibility to entertain customers that came to visit. Many were from the NY and New Jersey area. When I would drop them at the hotel they would be told to not go out on the streets. They thought that coming from the North that I was being silly. I assured them that I was serious.

The best steaks were at Hester's, and the best she crab soup was at Johnnte Ganem's. Neither restaurant is there now, but Johnnie Ganem's turned into a liquor store. I sure miss the food.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I watched a Maryland 37 for over an hour last week as she slowly overtook me. I was surprised at how much she pitched and even more surprised at how much she heeled in relatively docile 2' seas. I used to like them but now I'm not so sure.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
At Isle of Hope Marina for the next week on our slow crawl back to New Jersey.

Buy me a beer at the Sandfly Cafe and I'll spill my guts!

Are you really heading north already?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Are you really heading north already?
Yep...SLOWLY!!!! Have to be back in Jersey to start towing April 15th...that's when things stat to wake up in South Jersey on the water. Plan on hitting Norfolk area around April 1st and slowly enjoy the Chesapeake...the scary part is thaf we have had snow in early April in the past and I'm sorta getting used to Tshirts and shorts already...

Gregarious - I misspoke...I meant the Driftaway Cafe...we had dinner there just before we left for Brunswick last week.

I personally don't like the interior spaces of most cats until they start getting over 40 something feet...too cut up. And as Daddyo pointed out...they too can have some funny motions in certain conditions...but hard to argue their speed and efficiency if you watch the loading (weight).

All that said...always best to ride one as much as you can before deciding...the people I met in Brunswick were in the process of buying an Endeavor Cat 36 that they had been bugging the guy for over a year and he finally decided to sell it as it wasn't "on the market" but word was out he "might" sell. They were from Oregon and sold their 40 something Selene and decided that it would be too much to bring it around via Panama and not as suitable for the ICW as a smaller cat. To each their own...She loved the interior spaces but I think he was just going along (an much of that interior was custom to the PO).

As far as reading the book...no..buy we watched Midnight and Forrest Gump back to back then did the tourist movie crawl (on our own) the next day.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #9

The movie (Midnight in ...) is great too. Most folks bypass downtown Savannah as it's not exactly on the ICW. But so walkable. The city dock is a little exposed in a north wind but cheap. And evrything is nearby except marine supply stores. Across the river is the Westin which is lux but more $. Anyplace on the river is fun because the port is so active. You will see all shorts of shipping. Sometimes they pass in opposite directions right there and you swear they are going to collide. Paula Deen's (the southern food maven) hubby is a river tug pilot. Thunderbolt on the ICW is where River Street Supply is and they have more cruiser friendly items than West Marine.

Interesting perspective on the Maryland 37. I would have thought the rock and roll would be minimal. So somehow I need to catch a ride. A friend has a Lagoon 38 which seems awfully stable but since it's wider and a sailboat, maybe its apples to oranges comparison.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

City: Belfast
Looked at 3 Maryland 37s last year- ended up with a downeast hull cause I just couldn't love the looks of the boat. But I think they would be fine for inland stuff- not a sea boat by any means. Reasonably priced. If you need the room, they're great.
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: La Parguera
Vessel Name: VIXEN II
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
We bought our project boat over at the Thunderbolt Marine; we then moved over to the Sail Harbor Marina and Shipyard on Wilmington Island. Really good, friendly folks and well away from the Old Town. River Street got so used to seeing us they finally gave us the commercial shrimp boat discount. The marine store being a short walk to Tubby's pub. And of course Tubby's downtown version is a great place to stage out the St. Paddy's Day Parade. We really enjoyed the area with the one exception of those late afternoon sand gnats which swarmed in the wetlands. I wish I could help with the Maryland 37 but I just know about them. Good advise to go spend some time on one running the rivers.
VixenII is offline   Reply With Quote