Hello from Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NanShan

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 30
Hi all,
I kindly ask permission to come onboard...

I am a long time boater, started many years ago with a 3,70m aluminium lake boat, sailed for a while with summer charters, jumped through several motor boats, actually owner of a Beneteau Swift Trawler 30...
cruising in the Med, West Italy, Sardinia and France Riviera

long time reader of the forum, even if never took active part of it.

ciao

Ciao, come sta ?

Welcome aboard from French Riviera. So you are in Liguria ? porto sole San Remo is one of my frequent destinations also but less frequently Portofino, Santa Margherita, Chiavari.

Cheers

ciao, ça va bien, merci

thanks for your welcome

yes, I am in Liguria, home port in Chiavari.
I picked up my actual boat in 2017 delivered in Port Frejus!

every year I spend 7-10 days in French Riviera, Nice is my favorite port, but hopping almost in every port between Menton and St Tropez...
during summer... 15/20 days between Corse and Sardinia...

cheers

Last edited:
Chiavari is a nice town. My boat is moored in Antibes Port Vauban.

I bet you know the place on the pic ? Between San Remo and Nice ?

Attachments

• 1E089037-CF4F-4EB0-834E-A111AD264F12.jpg
    1E089037-CF4F-4EB0-834E-A111AD264F12.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 44
wonderful antibes... another of my preferred stops...
picture... that's cap d'ail rock view from MC port... super!!!
or am I wrong?

Last edited:
You were not far at all !

It’s Monte Carlo marina (Port Hercules) Monaco. My boat moored in front of Yacht club of Monaco.

Welcome aboard, from north coast BC, Canada :thumb:

You were not far at all !

It’s Monte Carlo marina (Port Hercules) Monaco. My boat moored in front of Yacht club of Monaco.

I was just getting more precise info editing my previous post... got it!
never been in such a posh port ;)

I was here...

Attachments

• 20180422_115932759_iOS.jpg
    20180422_115932759_iOS.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 49
not able to insert image in the correct side view :(

Your pic was in Cap d’Ail marina ? close by Monaco heliport and port of Fontvieille in Monaco. Everything is so close there :)

Hope you don’t mind I rotated your pic up & down. Very nice boat.

Attachments

• 81AC541E-1886-42EB-8D7C-FD4F5928980D.jpg
    81AC541E-1886-42EB-8D7C-FD4F5928980D.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
:thumb: oh yesss!

thanks for rotating pic...

Welcome aboard from the BC south coast!
It is great to see how "International" this forum is becoming. More and more interest from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and even a few from parts of SE Asia.
I have never been to France (yet) but I did really enjoy my time in Italy. We travelled fairly extensively when there visiting Naples, Pompeii, the Amalfi coast, Florence, Venice, Ancona, Bologna, Lucca, Spello, Siena, San Gimignano, San Marino (separate country), Pisa, and Rome (probably forgot a few places).
I hope you managed to get through this horrible pandemic relatively unscathed. Has it impacted boating like it has here in Canada? Almost no one is out.
Again, welcome.

thanks

here in Italy boating is still forbidden. some areas have recently allowed to go to the marina to make maintenance with limitation in timings and number of people. but no one can take the sea...
moreover only people living in the sea surroundings are allowed to go to marina, so most of the boat owner that comes form the inland cities cannot.

we hope something will change soon, summer is almost here

I’m very jealous of both our our members in France and Italy. Weather wise would it be possible to be a “full time cruiser” in the Med and Adriatic without a Shengen visa? Why do the loop is my though...... ;-) Pilou- great to see you back of late. I missed reading your comments with a French accent ;-)

Wifey B: Well, our plans were to spend the summer of 2021 in the Med, but looks like that may be 2022 now. :ermm:

Welcome aboard!

Your pic was in Cap d’Ail marina ? close by Monaco heliport and port of Fontvieille in Monaco. Everything is so close there :)

Hope you don’t mind I rotated your pic up & down. Very nice boat.

Yes, thank you for rotating that pic, Pilou, I was thinking about trying to do that myself. I have often wondered when pics come out wrong way up was I holding the iPhone wrong, or was I holding my tongue in the wrong place..? :D

Yes, indeed, welcome to TF, NanShan. I must say those photos took me back to when Pilou's hubby Olivier took us all round those places in 2018, and it blew my mind at how beautiful it all was, and all those huge and beautiful vessels..! We had lunch on their lovely GB 42, at the marina in Antibes. It made our wee Lotus, (CHB 34) seem very tiny. :)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I hope things are calming down over there.

I have often wondered when pics come out wrong way up was I holding the iPhone wrong, or was I holding my tongue in the wrong place..? :D

No, the answer is "was I holding the iPhone" as that's the problem. Everytime we see turned or upside down, we know it's an iPhone user. Many ultimately start uploading to a computer, then posting from it. Perhaps other Applers might have some tips.

No, the answer is "was I holding the iPhone" as that's the problem. Everytime we see turned or upside down, we know it's an iPhone user. Many ultimately start uploading to a computer, then posting from it. Perhaps other Applers might have some tips.

Good point Brett. Out of interest, when taking pics on the iPhone in landscape position, should the button be to the right or left. I've never been quite sure if it matters or if there is a right and wrong way to hold it, even after all these years..? I have usually had the button to the right. Pilou will know, for sure...
Cheers,

... when taking pics on the iPhone in landscape position, should the button be to the right or left. I've never been quite sure if it matters or if there is a right and wrong way to hold it, even after all these years..? I have usually had the button to the right. Pilou will know, for sure...

Bonjour Pierre. Merci de ta question mon ami.

Make sure to always have your iPhone's camera lens at the top of your device when shooting a photo:
- When you are shooting in portrait orientation, hold your iPhone with camera lens right side up.
- When you are shooting in landscape orientation, be sure the camera lens is at the top left corner of the back of your iPhone (button to the right).

But regardless of how you were holding the phone also if too many apps opened in the background running at once (like any computer, the less open RAM memory you have available on your iPhone, the slower its overall performance), it may happen that a photo is oriented upside down or sideways in Photos.

Indeed Apple wants to keep the process of capturing and saving a photo to be as fast as possible so you can keep snapping away. To keep things speedy, rather than re-orient the photo and devote processing time to that action, your iPhone actually just may save your photo as it was shooted.

No need to use a computer. You can fix it in 10 seconds from your Photos app so it's right-side up :
- Open Photos
- Select the upside-down photo
- Tap the Rotate Image icon until the photo is in the correct position.
- Tap Done. Your photo is saved right-side up.

For older iPhone models not running IOS 12/13, different issue with different solution that we previously discussed with you and Bruce Beard.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s51/ipad-iphone-photo-fix-29282.html

I hope I answered your questions properly :)

Amitiés :flowers:

Pilou

Last edited:
Welcome from San Diego, a city with the same climate as Mare Nostrum.

Bonjour Pierre. Merci de ta question mon ami.

Make sure to always have your iPhone's camera lens at the top of your device when shooting a photo:
- When you are shooting in portrait orientation, hold your iPhone with camera lens right side up.
- When you are shooting in landscape orientation, be sure the camera lens is at the top left corner of the back of your iPhone (button to the right).

But regardless of how you were holding the phone also if too many apps opened in the background running at once (like any computer, the less open RAM memory you have available on your iPhone, the slower its overall performance), it may happen that a photo is oriented upside down or sideways in Photos.

Indeed Apple wants to keep the process of capturing and saving a photo to be as fast as possible so you can keep snapping away. To keep things speedy, rather than re-orient the photo and devote processing time to that action, your iPhone actually just may save your photo as it was shooted.

No need to use a computer. You can fix it in 10 seconds from your Photos app so it's right-side up :
- Open Photos
- Select the upside-down photo
- Tap the Rotate Image icon until the photo is in the correct position.
- Tap Done. Your photo is saved right-side up.

For older iPhone models not running IOS 12/13, different issue with different solution that we previously discussed with you and Bruce Beard.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s51/ipad-iphone-photo-fix-29282.html

I hope I answered your questions properly :)

Amitiés :flowers:

Pilou

Merci, Pilou. I knew you would be able to explain it well, for any of us who are a bit challenged in photo handling skills at times. :flowers:
Pierre

Back
Top Bottom