Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Your pic was in Cap d’Ail marina ? close by Monaco heliport and port of Fontvieille in Monaco. Everything is so close there

Hope you don’t mind I rotated your pic up & down. Very nice boat.
Yes, thank you for rotating that pic, Pilou, I was thinking about trying to do that myself. I have often wondered when pics come out wrong way up was I holding the iPhone wrong, or was I holding my tongue in the wrong place..?

Yes, indeed, welcome to TF, NanShan. I must say those photos took me back to when Pilou's hubby Olivier took us all round those places in 2018, and it blew my mind at how beautiful it all was, and all those huge and beautiful vessels..! We had lunch on their lovely GB 42, at the marina in Antibes. It made our wee Lotus, (CHB 34) seem very tiny.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Welcome aboard. I hope things are calming down over there.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I have often wondered when pics come out wrong way up was I holding the iPhone wrong, or was I holding my tongue in the wrong place..?
No, the answer is "was I holding the iPhone" as that's the problem. Everytime we see turned or upside down, we know it's an iPhone user. Many ultimately start uploading to a computer, then posting from it. Perhaps other Applers might have some tips.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No, the answer is "was I holding the iPhone" as that's the problem. Everytime we see turned or upside down, we know it's an iPhone user. Many ultimately start uploading to a computer, then posting from it. Perhaps other Applers might have some tips.
Good point Brett. Out of interest, when taking pics on the iPhone in landscape position, should the button be to the right or left. I've never been quite sure if it matters or if there is a right and wrong way to hold it, even after all these years..? I have usually had the button to the right. Pilou will know, for sure...
Cheers,
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #28
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
... when taking pics on the iPhone in landscape position, should the button be to the right or left. I've never been quite sure if it matters or if there is a right and wrong way to hold it, even after all these years..? I have usually had the button to the right. Pilou will know, for sure...

Bonjour Pierre. Merci de ta question mon ami.

Make sure to always have your iPhone's camera lens at the top of your device when shooting a photo:
- When you are shooting in portrait orientation, hold your iPhone with camera lens right side up.
- When you are shooting in landscape orientation, be sure the camera lens is at the top left corner of the back of your iPhone (button to the right).

But regardless of how you were holding the phone also if too many apps opened in the background running at once (like any computer, the less open RAM memory you have available on your iPhone, the slower its overall performance), it may happen that a photo is oriented upside down or sideways in Photos.

Indeed Apple wants to keep the process of capturing and saving a photo to be as fast as possible so you can keep snapping away. To keep things speedy, rather than re-orient the photo and devote processing time to that action, your iPhone actually just may save your photo as it was shooted.

No need to use a computer. You can fix it in 10 seconds from your Photos app so it's right-side up :
- Open Photos
- Select the upside-down photo
- Tap the Rotate Image icon until the photo is in the correct position.
- Tap Done. Your photo is saved right-side up.

For older iPhone models not running IOS 12/13, different issue with different solution that we previously discussed with you and Bruce Beard.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...fix-29282.html

I hope I answered your questions properly

Amitiés

Pilou
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #29
Guru

Welcome from San Diego, a city with the same climate as Mare Nostrum.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Bonjour Pierre. Merci de ta question mon ami.

Make sure to always have your iPhone's camera lens at the top of your device when shooting a photo:
- When you are shooting in portrait orientation, hold your iPhone with camera lens right side up.
- When you are shooting in landscape orientation, be sure the camera lens is at the top left corner of the back of your iPhone (button to the right).

But regardless of how you were holding the phone also if too many apps opened in the background running at once (like any computer, the less open RAM memory you have available on your iPhone, the slower its overall performance), it may happen that a photo is oriented upside down or sideways in Photos.

Indeed Apple wants to keep the process of capturing and saving a photo to be as fast as possible so you can keep snapping away. To keep things speedy, rather than re-orient the photo and devote processing time to that action, your iPhone actually just may save your photo as it was shooted.

No need to use a computer. You can fix it in 10 seconds from your Photos app so it's right-side up :
- Open Photos
- Select the upside-down photo
- Tap the Rotate Image icon until the photo is in the correct position.
- Tap Done. Your photo is saved right-side up.

For older iPhone models not running IOS 12/13, different issue with different solution that we previously discussed with you and Bruce Beard.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...fix-29282.html

I hope I answered your questions properly

Amitiés

Pilou
Merci, Pilou. I knew you would be able to explain it well, for any of us who are a bit challenged in photo handling skills at times.
Pierre
Old 05-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #31

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Sarah McLean
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot
I am very envious of your life in Italy,
have you traveled to Lipari and the Aeolian Islands? that is where my family came from and lives today. they own a yacht provisioning service for Larry Ellison type yachts (ships).
beautiful place i have visited a few times. and I hear they are essentially virus free.
adornato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Sardinia
Vessel Model: DP 56 Asterion
It feels kind of weird for myself to welcome another Italian to a mostly US-based forum.
But welcome aboard also from my part, anyway!
Maybe I will stand a chance to get in touch with someone who doesn't ask me what sort of boat is mine, since practically unheard of, outside Italy...

Which part of Sardinia do you usually cruise?
I'm based in the SW, which is actually pretty far if you come from Liguria, but if and when you should venture so far South, give me a shout!
You would hear people speaking the same dialect as yours by the way, just to give you a hint about my specific home marina.
MapisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adornato View Post
have you traveled to Lipari and the Aeolian Islands?
I can't answer for NanShan obviously, but I for one did, and loved the place to bits.
Around Sicily, not only the Aeolian, but also the Aegadian Islands are stunning, in fact.
Both an absolute must see, for anyone cruising the Med.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Genova
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by adornato View Post
I am very envious of your life in Italy,
have you traveled to Lipari and the Aeolian Islands? that is where my family came from and lives today. they own a yacht provisioning service for Larry Ellison type yachts (ships).
beautiful place i have visited a few times. and I hear they are essentially virus free.
well, I can feel the same envy for your life San Francisco... I've been there for vacation few years ago, left my heart in that Bay

I've been cruising the Aeolian Island two times, many years ago (approx 30...) with a chartered sailboat. now it's definitely too far from my home port to reach them in our usual 15 days summer vacations
NanShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Genova
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
It feels kind of weird for myself to welcome another Italian to a mostly US-based forum.
Maybe I will stand a chance to get in touch with someone who doesn't ask me what sort of boat is mine, since practically unheard of, outside Italy...
yeah, sounds weird....
point is that in Italy there is not a real Trawler culture... so no place like this forum. here, if you have a power boat, you MUST cruise not less than 25 knots and arrive in the spot in the quickest way.
if you prefer slow speed and full displacement you MUST have a sail boat... that's it

Della Pietà... pure Italian boating history... congrats
Quote:
Which part of Sardinia do you usually cruise?
I'm based in the SW, which is actually pretty far if you come from Liguria, but if and when you should venture so far South, give me a shout!
You would hear people speaking the same dialect as yours by the way, just to give you a hint about my specific home marina.
I cruise Sardinia N, mainly in Maddalena archipelago after descending Corse...
by now, South is too far for the available time, but sooner or later...
NanShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:02 AM   #36

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Hello and welcome NS, your boat looks great, congrats.

I’ve done some cruising around the southern side of Sardegna, Cagliari to Carloforte, and just love the area and the people. Did a cruise ship arrival into Olbia, but from reports, Costa Smerelda is very expensive to cruise and stay in marinas.
I’m sure the lockdown will ease soon to allow access to your boat and some cruising, albeit probably limited distances, but it’s still aboard which is the main thing,
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Maybe I will stand a chance to get in touch with someone who doesn't ask me what sort of boat is mine, since practically unheard of, outside Italy... D
Hi MapisM

Let me guess......are the letters DP in the brand? ��
Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
Hi MapisM

Let me guess......are the letters DP in the brand?
Yup, they stand for Dalla Pietà, as NS correctly mentioned. Actually it's Dalla and not Della, but that's a rather common misspelling, also among Italians.
One of many IT yards that sadly went under in the 2008 crisis aftermath.
They never built trawlers though, only planing boats.

Not that I dislike displacement speed, mind - quite the opposite, in fact.
The pic in my avatar shows my second to last boat, which was a timber, full displacement trawler built by another small Italian yard that NS might remember, called CNAM (Cantiere Nautico Azzurro Marotta).
A lovely vessel in many ways, which I kept for the best part of two decades.
During which, her maintenance needs did not decrease, while my wish to deal with them did - hence the choice to revert to plastic...

PS: whereabout are you in Tas?
I have a couple of boating mates who live there, and when we went to visit them a few years ago we also took the opportunity to attend the AWBF in Hobart.
Fantastic event for boaters in general, and even more so for wooden boat lovers!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Ladysmith
Vessel Name: Hobbit
Vessel Model: Palmer Johnson
Hello from west coast of Canada.

Nice to here from different parts of the world. I have been to Italy a few times and its one of my favourites, really enjoy the life and culture...though things have changed dramatically. Mostly northern Italy as far south as Rome. Would like to do the Amalfi coast once this madness is behind us.
We live in one of the better cruising areas of the world, so I've been told, and I've been up our coast quite a bit and it has some of the nicest fjords found anywhere...I've been to Bergen, Norway and thats very nice but not isolated like the B.C. coast. Anyways take care and hope you are able to enjoy some cruising this year.
cheers
Hobbit
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #40

Quote:
PS: whereabout are you in Tas?
I have a couple of boating mates who live there, and when we went to visit them a few years ago we also took the opportunity to attend the AWBF in Hobart.
Fantastic event for boaters in general, and even more so for wooden boat lovers!
PM sent