Hello from Indiana!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Droyalty

Hello world :)

I've been lurking in the background of this excellent forum for quite some time and, as many have commented, find it friendly and wonderfully helpful. Kudos!

About me...I'm in landlocked Indianapolis but have the Ohio River 2 hours to the South and Lake Michigan 3-4 hours to the North. Waterways await. But, my wife and I should have done this 20 years ago when we had more energy and money to pursue ownership. We just didn't have the time. Now that we're older and a few years from retirement, we have the time...just less energy and money :)

Charter is the way to go for us I believe and have received some excellent advice from others on this forum on training. We'd like to learn where we'll charter. Money tells me to do so in Lake Michigan...perhaps in Traverse City. I lived several years in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan and know there are superb cruising grounds there.

So, I'll continue to lurk, learn, ask the occasional question, and enjoy this great place.

Dennis Royalty/Indianapolis, IN

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard, we are in NW Indiana and operated out of Michigan City for years.

Our best.

Thanks! Bay Pelican, are there trawlers for bareboaters in Michigan City? It's beautiful there and close.

I've web searched and can only find charters for sailing. Capt Patti of Sea Sense has found one in Traverse City.

Nothing closer so far. Perhaps I can find a delivery within the Lakes where I could learn.

Lots to ponder :)

Thanks! Bay Pelican, are there trawlers for bareboaters in Michigan City? It's beautiful there and close.

Lots to ponder :)

No trawlers for charter in Michigan City that I know of.

Great opportunity to plan a week off next January and fly to Ft. Myers - just schedule so Indy is still open for flights.

Good luck

Yep, some good instruction there for sure. We'd like to stay closer to home if possible.

Thanks! Dennis

Welcome Droyalty from Indiana- No boat? No trouble (yet):D Just because you are on the hard so to speak, is no big deal we all have been there at one time or another.:whistling:
Here in Alaska I can feel akin to you, my wife has a antique "Hoosier Kitchen" which tomorrow morning I will address with a rousing "Droyalty is Onboard!!":dance:

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

Asked around about chartering a trawler in Michigan City, no luck.
You might contact the Nordic Tug dealer in Traverse City, Michigan:
Bay Breeze Yacht Sales

12935 S. West Bay Shore Drive
Suite 125
Traverse City, MI 49684
Phone: 866-941-5884
Email: info@baybreezeyachtsales.com

Thanks again to everyone!

Marty: I emailed them last night after much web searching. They have the classes I want but no pricing. Also no pricing listed for the trawler charters. I've found that Great Lakes trawler charters are very expensive for a week...~$5K.

Heck, I can fly to/from Florida, charter a boat for a week or more for alot less than that.

Hopefully Bay Breezes has reasonable prices.

:) Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone!

Marty: I emailed them last night after much web searching. They have the classes I want but no pricing. Also no pricing listed for the trawler charters. I've found that Great Lakes trawler charters are very expensive for a week...~$5K.

Heck, I can fly to/from Florida, charter a boat for a week or more for alot less than that.

Hopefully Bay Breezes has reasonable prices.

:) Thanks!

Heck next January you can fly to the BVIs and charter there and send photos home of you in shorts and tee shirt.

Late to get here.

Michigan City has sailboat charter, but no trawlers.

Welcome aboard, you'll find a lot of friends here

I'm a newb to the forum too, but have experience in several cruising areas. We are currently based in Michigan City, IN, and Washington Park Marina is BY FAR the best location we have boated from in Indiana! We ran a Sea Ray 290 for 2 years on the Ohio River, based in Jeffersonville, including a 600 mile trip down river from Pittsburgh to Louisville. Then 2 years on Lake Monroe, and just finished our 2nd full season in MC, now with a Sea Ray 340. We require a planing hull now due to the speed we need to get to destinations, and back again on short vacations from work. We will be moving to a trawler in the future when time permits. Prior to all of this we chartered a number of trawlers on the Chesapeake Bay and Florida. The Bay is absolutely wonderful, but too far away to be practical. The amenities at Washington Park, including just a 200 yd walk to a beautiful beach that will rival anything in Fl. are better than we have seen anywhere in Indiana, and most of what we have seen on the Chesapeake. I would encourage you to look at chartering the Bay as well as Fl. We preferred the Bay. You are right, trawler charters on Lake Michigan are hard to come by and very expensive, no doubt due to the same costs, but a shorter boating season. Best of luck in your boat search and travels, and hit me up with any questions you might have! KP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom