Old 10-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

City: Lake Placid, Florida
New to trawlering

I'm an old guy and me and the lady are moving to Maryland and want to start a new hobby of trawler cruising on the Chesapeake. I want a used boat, 32-36, twin diesels, generator, AC, front and rear cabins and heads, something in the $50,000-100,000.00 range. We are buying a condo or townhouse on the Eastern Shore that conveys with a slip. Any comments, ideas, suggestions, information would be greatly appreciated.
mikepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of good info here. Ask any questions you have.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
When purchasing used, and the older the boat is the more true this recommendation is. You really need two budgets. The first budget buys the boat, the second budget takes care of initial and within a year or three of the repairs, maintaining and servicing of the boat.

The first budget is obvious, how much does the boat cost. The second budget isn't always obvious and you can have "surprises." Rarely are these surprises good ones. The surprises can be small, leaks into the interior of the boat through stanchions and/or cleats to much larger engine surprises. Its the second budget many don't plan for and the boat becomes little used or wastes away in a marina.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
No connection whatsoever, but defever 40s like this one recently posted to classified section ticks a lot of your boxes. No teak decks.

Good luck!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46849
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Guru

Another in Miami. This one was cruised from California through Panama canal. $50k. Again, no affiliation whatsoever, just happened to catch my eye.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2763865
Old 10-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
If you must have twins then by all means go with 40'+ boats. There are virtually no twins in 32' boats and those in 36' boats are tough to maintain due to engine room spacing.

Decent Grand Banks 36s can be found in that price range, plus lots of other Taiwan Trawlers, some of which will cost you a bundle in that "second budget" discussed above.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Guru

Gulfstar 36 has twins and an aft cabin and in price range.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #8
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Welcome Mike,
RSN above (2 budgets) gave some great advice. When we purchased our Tug, our surveyor stated that it was in the best condition of any vessel he had surveyed of that age. Never the less, we have spent over $40,000 in repairs, upgrades, updates, and wants. We still have 18 year old electronics! Not complaining, just saying for FYI.
I also agree with the statement about twin engines in boats below 40 feet. We did not want a boat larger than 40 feet, so we definitely wanted a single. You have to be able to access all of the usual maintenance items easily. Even if you hire someone, the bill will be higher due to the extra time it will take them. I do almost all of my own maintenance, and am not as flexible as I once was, so good access was important to me. Think about this when exploring engine rooms!
Take the time to make lists carefully considering how you plan to use the boat. Eg. many guests or few, weekend trips or months at a time, slow crusing (6-8 knots) or medium speeds (10-15 K), etc. Then write down must haves, nice to have, and don't want lists. Compare with the wife, and then compromise. Ask questions, visit the docks and boat shows, talk to other boaters, etc., then view many different styles, brands, and sizes to see what meets your lists. For us, our did not want list included twin engines (double the maintenance and repair costs, limited ER space, etc.), screwed down teak decks (they will leak (if not already) and be very costly to repair/replace), and exterior wood work (too much work, although if maintained looks great). Those items were just for our list, and not everyone would agree.
Good luck with your search and future travels,
Tom