Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 81
Hello and forgive my verbosity

My wife and I are in the early stages of looking into becoming liveaboards, for approx 6 months per year. We currently boat from spring thru fall on Long Island, NY. Our boat is a Sea Ray 410 Sundancer. We live on our boat every weekend and weeks at a time during summer vacations. I once single handidly piloted our boat to and from Florida. My wife and I want to live on a boat part time in the next couple of years. We want more room and we are leaning towards Trawlers.

I look forward to learning a lot, especially since I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jeff
__________________
Advertisement

Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,640
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,631
Jeff - Lindenhurst, eh...

Back in the day! I was born in Freeport; grew up in N. Merrick off Jerusulem Ave. Boated out of both Merrick and Freeport. Always went north on boat trips. Ended up moving to Maine in very late teens; Penobscot Bay region.

Welcome aboard! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 81
Art - yeah we boat out of Lindenhurst and live on the north shore. We like boating on the Great South Bay on the south shore. Beaches, Fire Island, easy ocean access, etc. We have not made it to Maine yet, heard it is beautiful, but we do go to Block Island, Rhode Island every season. Good meeting ya.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,579
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the search for your new boat.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
My wife and I are in the early stages of looking into becoming liveaboards, for approx 6 months per year. We currently boat from spring thru fall on Long Island, NY. Our boat is a Sea Ray 410 Sundancer. We live on our boat every weekend and weeks at a time during summer vacations. I once single handidly piloted our boat to and from Florida. My wife and I want to live on a boat part time in the next couple of years. We want more room and we are leaning towards Trawlers.

I look forward to learning a lot, especially since I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jeff
My first question would be to answer what you like about living aboard the Sundancer and what you don't like? What speeds do you currently cruise? While trawlers may have more space, they'll also be slower.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 650
Welcome.
That wasn't very verbose.

Small world here- I was raised in Copiague-where I started learning about boats.
__________________
Ken Diestler
Galveston, Tx
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10,059
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,072
That's not what I call verbose. But whatever the length of message, please limit the length of paragraphs to about six lines. (Saying this in anticipation of possible future verbose messages.)
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Jeff - Lindenhurst, eh...

Back in the day! I was born in Freeport; grew up in N. Merrick off Jerusulem Ave. Boated out of both Merrick and Freeport. Always went north on boat trips. Ended up moving to Maine in very late teens; Penobscot Bay region.

Welcome aboard! - Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
Art - yeah we boat out of Lindenhurst and live on the north shore. We like boating on the Great South Bay on the south shore. Beaches, Fire Island, easy ocean access, etc. We have not made it to Maine yet, heard it is beautiful, but we do go to Block Island, Rhode Island every season. Good meeting ya.
OMG, What exit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Welcome.
That wasn't very verbose.

Small world here- I was raised in Copiague-where I started learning about boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's not what I call verbose. But whatever the length of message, please limit the length of paragraphs to about six lines. (Saying this in anticipation of possible future verbose messages.)
LOL! You and Eric could get together and form the TF Word Police.

Rule 1. No long or runon sentences.

Rule 2. No long or runon paragraphs.

Rule 3. No non-defined TLAs.

Rule 4. No being verbose!

"Vee have rules!"
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Welcome.
That wasn't very verbose.

Small world here- I was raised in Copiague-where I started learning about boats.
Small world - good to meet you Ken. My daughter is dating a guy that lives in Copiague.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
OMG, What exit?





LOL! You and Eric could get together and form the TF Word Police.

Rule 1. No long or runon sentences.

Rule 2. No long or runon paragraphs.

Rule 3. No non-defined TLAs.

Rule 4. No being verbose!

"Vee have rules!"

Danke Schoen
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani-lu View Post
Danke Schoen
Wifey B: Hope they don't pop in and say no foreign languages or no song titles.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My first question would be to answer what you like about living aboard the Sundancer and what you don't like? What speeds do you currently cruise? While trawlers may have more space, they'll also be slower.


Sorry for this tardy reply.

We don't live aboard our Sundancer. We stay on it almost every weekend May thru Sept, at our home port, other marinas and anchorages.

We cruise at 20 to 21 knots/2350 rpms. Our Cat diesels could run all day and night at this RPM.

We are leaning towards a semi displacement trawler, allowing us to run at an economical 8kts with longer range, but if we need to get somewhere in a hurry, we have the horses to get there.

The key to the trawler for us is, roomy ER allowing me to DIY most maintenance and basic repairs, a lot of storage and shallow draft (ICW/Keys/Bahamas). Our Sea Ray only answers the shallow draft. We do love our Sea Ray, but for us, it is not a live aboard. We have friends that would have no issue living aboard their 34' Sea Ray Sundancer.
__________________

Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×