Hello from Drake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake Bliss

Vessel Name
Waterfront Wonderland
Vessel Make
Hurricane SD217
Hello all,

I have been small boater for 40 years. Now I am looking to buy a trawler, possibly the Monk 36.

We want to travel the great loop on budget, so only one motor might be best.

I live off of the Caloodahstchee river with deep water access to my dock, no low bridges. If anyone is in the area, please stop by, I have a slip doace for a any trawler less than 42' LOA.

Any suggestions or recommendation would be appreciated.

Drake

Welcome, maybe your dock will grow in the next few years? Might just be in your Neck of the woods in 4-5 years. So you got some time, say another 10-20 ft?

Cheers

There is another newbie that has just posted a similar thread, keep an eye on that. The 36' range, give or take a couple of feet is the bread & butter of the trawler forum community.

I guess the one piece of advise that keeps coming up with these queries is, don't worry so much about the brand, boat condition is all. Get a good surveyor. Oh and brush up on your DIY skills, really needed on older boats.

Good luck.

By the way hope your dog gets better soon. :D

Might be able to get host bigger boat for a few days. Would need to angle it in.

Welcome, maybe your dock will grow in the next few years? Might just be in your Neck of the woods in 4-5 years. So you got some time, say another 10-20 ft?

Cheers

We have a 2003 Monk 36, we bought her in 2008. We brought it from Annapolis to Louisiana by the ICW and Okeechobee we have made several cruises from Louisiana to Ft Myers area and one down to the Keys and back via Miami and Okeechobee. It has been a fine boat for us. It has a good Flying bridge, Fiberglass decks, Single engine which I like, bow thruster for easy handling. We are coastal cruisers not much "outside" cruising except for the crossing from Apalachicola to Tampa area but that has always gone well. We carry a 9' Livingstone dinghy on Kato transom davits.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Steve W

Steve,

Gumbo sounds like the right kind of vessel for my Loop trip in the future.
I have a house in Cape Coral, just off the river if you are ever going through to Okeechobee or the keys. I think a 36' boat would fit great in the 42' dock I have here. I like the layout of the Monk and the single engine for better fuel economy on a long trip.

Drake

We have a 2003 Monk 36, we bought her in 2008. We brought it from Annapolis to Louisiana by the ICW and Okeechobee we have made several cruises from Louisiana to Ft Myers area and one down to the Keys and back via Miami and Okeechobee. It has been a fine boat for us. It has a good Flying bridge, Fiberglass decks, Single engine which I like, bow thruster for easy handling. We are coastal cruisers not much "outside" cruising except for the crossing from Apalachicola to Tampa area but that has always gone well. We carry a 9' Livingstone dinghy on Kato transom davits.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Steve W

We have a Monk 36 and keep it in Englewood, FL. If you want to see one up close without a broker hanging around, we can set something up via PM.

Back
Top Bottom