Old 12-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Hello from the Chesapeake

New member, but I've been lurking for quite a while.

I was an active cruising sailor on the Chesapeake until my 30's. I sold the boat when kids came along, and went cold turkey. Now nearing retirement, I'm planning my return to the water. Like all addictions, the urge never leaves but only goes into remission.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Swansea
Welcome back!
Drogers100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
FWT
Guru

Thanks. Great to be back. Still boat shopping, but I can see daylight on that.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Swansea
Where are your favorite cruising destinations on the Chesapeake?
Dave
Drogers100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
FWT
Guru

Well, I've been boat-less for 30+ years. But I can tell you where they WERE.

I grew up on the Choptank, so that was my stomping ground since my first boat at 8 years old. After college I lived in the Baltimore area, and kept boats in Middle River. So my time was from the Sassafras to the north, down to the middle Bay, say down to Little Choptank.

Fairlee was quiet then, so that and Worton made for easy overnight weekends. St. Michaels was always a favorite. Annapolis on occasion but it was always too crowded for my taste.

I'll be retiring back to the Kent Island area, and keeping a boat there. Trawlers have more range than small cruising sailboats, so I am looking forward to spreading my wings much more broadly.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! When I spend summers on the Chesapeake, my boat stays in Crisfield. Mostly cruise the Eastern shore of the bay. From the Pocomoke river North.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
FWT
Guru

Ted, I know the Eastern Shore from the land side, from stem to stern. Spent time in Crisfield. ES of VA too. I know pretty much most of the towns, from the land side. Its home.

And OC too, by the way. Chincoteague. Deale. Honga River. Cape Charles. Chestertown

I've been reading your posts for a while. When the time comes I'll have some route questions / waypoint questions that should be right up your alley.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings.
Welcome aboard and spread away.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
FWT
Guru

Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 12-10-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:59 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
Ted, I know the Eastern Shore from the land side, from stem to stern. Spent time in Crisfield. ES of VA too. I know pretty much most of the towns, from the land side. Its home.

And OC too, by the way. Chincoteague. Deale. Honga River. Cape Charles. Chestertown

I've been reading your posts for a while. When the time comes I'll have some route questions / waypoint questions that should be right up your alley.
Happy to help. One of my favorite bay cruises is the Pocomoke river. The river is deep (for the Chesapeake) reaching 50' occasionally. There is good dockage in Pocomoke that was free last time I stopped with 50 amp service! The Jewel (IMO) of the river is Snow Hill. While less to offer, it has good bulkheads and 30 amp service for an exceedingly modest fee. While it's possible to go above the Snow Hill draw bridge with 4 hours notice, the real joy is dinghying above to explore the unspoiled river North. In general the whole river winds through marshes, farms, forests and the 2 small cities. There are several tributaries that offer exploration in the Pocomoke State Forest. From Crisfield to Snow Hill is an easy one day 7 knot cruise up the very protected river.

Ted
Old 12-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #12
FWT
Guru

Ted:

I am pretty familiar with "Slow Hill". Nice little town. Nice people. It came close to doubling or tripling in size back in 2007 but that crash brought ambitious plans to a dead halt.

I've never been on the Pokomoke River, but have wondered if the cypress tanin in the water would stain the hull? The headwaters are the cypress swamp near Selbyville, DE. And the pfiesteria issues of a decade or two ago just had me take it off my radar screen. But it sounds like that's a mistake.

Different direction for you. I have a house near Kent Island I'll retire to, but am living full time in CT for work at the moment. Northern CT, nowhere close to the water. But I am curious what yours, or others, favorites might be along the CT coast? Mystic is a popular tourist spot. Abbott's Lobster is a favorite spot of mine in Noank. I still have some time in CT to check spots out.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
Ted:

I am pretty familiar with "Slow Hill". Nice little town. Nice people. It came close to doubling or tripling in size back in 2007 but that crash brought ambitious plans to a dead halt.

I've never been on the Pokomoke River, but have wondered if the cypress tanin in the water would stain the hull? The headwaters are the cypress swamp near Selbyville, DE. And the pfiesteria issues of a decade or two ago just had me take it off my radar screen. But it sounds like that's a mistake.

Different direction for you. I have a house near Kent Island I'll retire to, but am living full time in CT for work at the moment. Northern CT, nowhere close to the water. But I am curious what yours, or others, favorites might be along the CT coast? Mystic is a popular tourist spot. Abbott's Lobster is a favorite spot of mine in Noank. I still have some time in CT to check spots out.
I have a painted hull with wax on it. No issues with staining. Gelcoat hulls get some staining but not permanent, easily removed when you hall out.

Haven't heard any mention of pfiesteria in the last 10 years on or near the Pocomoke river. Lots of kayaking and canoeing is done from Snow Hill, so I would expect notices if it was still an issue.

Went to school in NE CT, Pomfret. Parents started going to Martha's Vineyard when I was in Mom. They retired there. Been there on vacation every year of my life. Was planning on taking my boat there this summer for Memorial Day week. Covid ruined those plans.

Ted