Hello from Charlotte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckster

Hello All!
Still several years away from being able to walk away from steady income and go cruising but researching and learning all I can. Have been on mostly freshwater nearly all my life albeit in smaller craft, but definitely enamored by the idea of starting with the great loop and being free...
Have been shopping trawlers and have a pretty decent idea of what we will want. Not opposed to the idea of finding the right boat and moving it to our local (landlocked) lake for work/prep and weekend live-aboard. Anyway, will be lurking and reading a lot and posting the occasional newb question.
Buck

Buck!
I am on the eastern end of NC in New Bern. Having moved here from landlocked and lacklocked East TN.

Welcome to TF and be ready to learn, ask questions, read the archives, and ask questions.

There are some good, knowledgeable cruisers and boaters here...and the rest add humor.

Tim

Just up the street from you. Welcome and I find myself in a similar situation but continue to learn a great deal from the folks here. The Loop is on my list too!

Hello All!
Still several years away from being able to walk away from steady income and go cruising but researching and learning all I can....
Have been shopping trawlers and have a pretty decent idea of what we will want. Not opposed to the idea of finding the right boat and moving it to our local (landlocked) lake for work/prep and weekend live-aboard. Anyway, will be lurking and reading a lot and posting the occasional newb question.
Buck

Welcome to TF. As one who ended up very glad we took the plunge and bought our boat earlier in our 50s, and shared 16 great years with her, taking advantage of what time we had free, I urge anyone contemplating a boating life to get that boat as soon as possible.

My advice. Don't wait until you retire. They are expensive to upkeep anyway, so 'steady income' is helpful, especially when refurbishing an older vessel, as many of us have/had to do. If we had done that our boating would not have happened, as my 2iC suffered a mild stroke just months after our official retirement, and would not have been able to enjoy it. She sold last June. We just don't know what's around life's corners do we..? :)

Welcome aboard

Thanks for the welcome!
Tim - found some of your posts. Seems we may have a lot to discuss. Heading to the Keys week of July 4th, one of our favorite getaways. Looking at 40'ish sundecks, and MT is prominent in the searches. Also have lots of questions about moving a trawler. I tend to do a lot of reading before asking questions though. Something about better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open and remove all doubt...
Jim - We are pretty close, I'm actually in Denver and spend time on Norman, Mtn Island, and Wylie. Will be the big 50 in 2 weeks and our timeline is also 5-10 years. Very interesting about the training classes, will have to get more info there. Learning stuff already and only been on here 2 days.
Peter - sound advice, thank you. Fleeting time, health and opportunity are definitely on my mind as we look for ways to accelerate the timeline.
Anyway, I am not new to forums or wrenching (Jeeps and Audis), and I am looking forward to expanding my knowledge base.
Buck

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

Thread drift: Re: post#3. Mr. kT. "...and the rest add humor." Are adding humor and being knowledgeable mutually exclusive?

200.webp

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Back
Top Bottom