Hello from Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wanna Be

I've been stalking this site for years and think it's about time I said hi. "Hi"

A bit about myself:
- I hope to retire in 10 years
- I have 4 kids 14-21 in age
- I've never owned a boat
- I had a jetski when I was younger
- 20 years ago I took power squad boating courses for fun
- I have a friend with a boat but never go on as he goes out for 14 hour fishing trips offshore only
- My wife wants an RV
- I have a 75 pound golden doodle

What I want in a boat:
- Efficient when I want
- Nice to have 20 knot cruise when I feel rich
- Flybridge that a dog can get up (also my wife hate ladders)
- I don't plan to live aboard but would consider week long trips (wife & dog)
- I would like room to sleep 2 kids or another couple that isn't half bad
- Air conditioning
- Easy enough to single handle
- Must have an area for my wife to lay in the sun
- Decent swim platform
- I like cockpits but I'm open to consider options so long as I can get the water while at anchor and my dog can board on his own.

What I think I know:
- I should be able to do this in a 35 - 45 foot boat
- I don't want to spend all my time twisting wrenches though I know how
- I hope I can find a boat less than $65k
- Boston rates are high so I am considering ports up to an hour north of Boston to cut dockage fees
- I expect to spend half my time at the dock and half my time venturing up into Maine and long term goal of entering the loop.

Anyways, hi

PS,
How do I get my wife on a few boats to get the boating bug?

Welcome aboard. I am not sure how to get your wife on a boat, my wife started going boating when we were in high school about 50 years ago.

Not sure how you do a flying bridge with no steps.

Do you have any boating friends? Take her on them for a day. Go and have dinner at/near a marina.

Also consider looking south we are about an hour from Boston, Marina is bare bones but fine and reasonable price + the bay is a great place to explore.

I think getting your wife on board (pun intended) is the most important thing. If she's not on board, I think failure is likely.

Not sure how you do a flying bridge with no steps.

I think he said no ladders. We have a flybridge without a real ladder. It has 3 steps instead so flybridges without ladders are out there. We have a big dog so ladders are a must have not.

Last edited:
I did modify the steps going to our flybridge so that it is easier for our Lab to go up and down. The previous steps were very narrow fore and aft. I made the steps wider fore and aft and staggered them so that there was more step exposed by putting the top step forward more and the bottom step more aft.

It's not where you want to cruise, it's where your wife wants to cruise.

It's a big financial commitment and wife must be on board or it won't happen.
Suggest starting with a smaller center console and spend time visiting the Harbor Islands. Ether she will like it or not.
Also suggest keeping the boat close by. An hour trip makes every outing an expedition. A 10 minute trip to the dock and you will use the boat frequently. Hard to justify the expense for a few weekend trips.
Boston isn't that expensive

Back
Top Bottom