Hello To All From a New Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skiff Builder

Vessel Name
Change Of Pace
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Mk I
We recently purchased a Mainship 34 MkI. Plan to use it for ICW runs from NJ to Fl and possibly the Loop.
30+ year boater, who for the last 14 years has been using 7 self built craft on NJ waters. Currently finishing a scratch built 30' glued lapstrake Sea Bright Skiff (circa 1924).

Recent retirement now gives us an opportunity for some cruising. Looking forward to participating and learning from TF. First trawler type owned. Initial trip will be transport from upper Chesapeake to southern NJ homeport.

Skiff Builder

Attachments

• Mainship.jpg
    Mainship.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 29
Enjoy the next chapter, it’s a big change.

Yo to another Mainshiper.

Lyle
Welcome aboard TF.
You started very well with a photo... we appreciate it
Be sure to show us more of your handy work.
Lots of MS owners and info here.

Lyle
Welcome aboard TF.
You started very well with a photo... we appreciate it
Be sure to show us more of your handy work.
Lots of MS owners and info here.

Thanks,
Here are a few pics of the 30' Sea Bright Skiff const. On the build part time around work/ retirement/ moving- 2.5 yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 13
  • JULY2019 008.jpg
    JULY2019 008.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Roll-1.jpg
    Roll-1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210315_113114.jpg
    20210315_113114.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210425_165624.jpg
    20210425_165624.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 14
Welcome - love the build. Will you power with an outboard? If so, how big? Looks like it wouldn't take much to move her. I'd enjoy seeing more pictures - really nice design.

Peter

Welcome - love the build. Will you power with an outboard? If so, how big? Looks like it wouldn't take much to move her. I'd enjoy seeing more pictures - really nice design.

Peter

It's an easily driven hull I'm told. Plans spec'd a 110hp Yanmar for 17 kts. I cleared with the designer to go outboard. Reconfigured weight/ balance to accommodate. I have a 140 Suzuki and a 90 Yamaha in the shop.

In the Rum running days some of these larger hulls ran triple Liberty aircraft engines!

Attachments

• Kofoed Fleur De Lis.jpeg
    Kofoed Fleur De Lis.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 23
The Mainship is my first diesel boat. I've already gotten the learning not to introduce air into the fuel system part out of the way. Now know the full bleed procedure. Thanks to the prev owners for leaving the Cummins manual onboard, as well as all other equipment documentation- a great help.

The Mainship is my first diesel boat. I've already gotten the learning not to introduce air into the fuel system part out of the way. Now know the full bleed procedure. Thanks to the prev owners for leaving the Cummins manual onboard, as well as all other equipment documentation- a great help.

Have you also learned to storage-of-diesel and filtrationof-diesl lessons too? It seems that many people new to this fuel and new to a used boat soon find out about these lessons the hard way in the first rough sea they encounter. The repriming lesson usually follows; so at least that part's out of your way.:)

That will be a gorgeous skiff. I find the keel shape intriguing.

Have you also learned to storage-of-diesel and filtrationof-diesl lessons too? It seems that many people new to this fuel and new to a used boat soon find out about these lessons the hard way in the first rough sea they encounter. The repriming lesson usually follows; so at least that part's out of your way.:

I sounded the tanks using water indicating paste and found none. Have spare 30m racor elements on board as well as secondary filters. The PO left me a squeeze ball priming bulb/ valves kit that I will install for future bleed needs. Thinking of another filter too, so as to have a 30/10/2 for the single Cummins 6BT.
Certainly looking for any advice here , on all points of diesel propulsion systems.

I sounded the tanks using water indicating paste and found none. Have spare 30m racor elements on board as well as secondary filters. The PO left me a squeeze ball priming bulb/ valves kit that I will install for future bleed needs. Thinking of another filter too, so as to have a 30/10/2 for the single Cummins 6BT.
Certainly looking for any advice here , on all points of diesel propulsion systems.

Good start. Watch the vaccum and the clear filter bowls and change the Racors at first sign of vacuunm rise and thereafter change no later than 5 inches of mercury rise in vac. You will rarely need to change the engine-mounted filter. I have run 2-microns filters in Racors for decades. I used to have a boat with engines which returned little fuel to the tank, and I needed to install a fuel polishing system to get the gunk out of my old tanks. Nowadays, my engine returns 12 GPH while I am on plane actually burning 8-9 GPH - this engine is a great fuel polisher. Check your return rate to see how much fuel you might be "polishing" at cruise speed.

Looks like a well maintained and upgraded Mainship, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. They are just a really sensible configuration, I love mine but am envious of the cummins you have. Congrats and welcome.

It's an easily driven hull I'm told. Plans spec'd a 110hp Yanmar for 17 kts. I cleared with the designer to go outboard. Reconfigured weight/ balance to accommodate. I have a 140 Suzuki and a 90 Yamaha in the shop.

In the Rum running days some of these larger hulls ran triple Liberty aircraft engines!

Wifey B: What about a Mercury 300R or a 450R? I want to see that thing really move. :speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Ok. The current Racor 500 has no vac gauge. Will look to get one onboard. Thks for that info.

Lyle
If interested in finding more diesel info you might take a look around BoatDiesel.com. full access and downloads of manuals requires membership but you can search to see how much applicable info is available.
The fee is reasonable and let's you download a number of files.
Also worth perusing TF Library to see if any applicable files available there.
It looks like your skiff project is coming along very well... love the pleasing lines

Lyle
If interested in finding more diesel info you might take a look around BoatDiesel.com. full access and downloads of manuals requires membership but you can search to see how much applicable info is available.
The fee is reasonable and let's you download a number of files.
Also worth perusing TF Library to see if any applicable files available there.
It looks like your skiff project is coming along very well... love the pleasing lines

I totally second this!

In the case of vacuum gauge, I went a step farther and teed into the fuel supply hose between the racor and the engine-mounted filter from which I ran a vacuum line to a vacuum gauge at the helm where I can keep an eye in things all the time.

Wifey B: What about a Mercury 300R or a 450R? I want to see that thing really move. :speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Mrs Skiff Builder would prefer something on the order of this below. She will like the Mainship!

Attachments

• AAA.jpg
    AAA.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mrs Skiff Builder would prefer something on the order of this below. She will like the Mainship!

It's for sale: One million bucks should do it!

Back
Top Bottom