Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

City: los alamos
Hello all

I've been reading posts for a while and really like the forum.

I'm living in NM, will retire 2 to 4 years. We would like to spend some portion of the year in the PNW. The live-aboard style is really appealing. We both love the PNW, exploring, fishing and water.

Our dream is to have a boat and explore the islands and southern Alaska and everything in-between. We are thinking of a mid 30s' size boat. Really like the trawler styles. They seem safe and comfortable. I plan on learning as much as I can.

I'm drinking from a fire hose right now. So much information to sort through. I've had many questions answered just looking through the posts. I'll have tons more questions. I Hope you take kindly to the newbie.

-nicky
degidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Welcome to the board. Since your looking at trawlers you came to the right place. I recently converted from a Mainship 40 sedan bridge to a Gulfstar 36 Mark II trawler. By changing boat types we should be able to cruise and enjoy ourselves more with the trawler. Our other boat was very expensive to run at cruising speed and it wasn't great at handling at hull speed.
Good luck and again, welcome.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by degidio View Post
I've been reading posts for a while and really like the forum.

I'm living in NM, will retire 2 to 4 years. We would like to spend some portion of the year in the PNW. The live-aboard style is really appealing. We both love the PNW, exploring, fishing and water.

Our dream is to have a boat and explore the islands and southern Alaska and everything in-between. We are thinking of a mid 30s' size boat. Really like the trawler styles. They seem safe and comfortable. I plan on learning as much as I can.

I'm drinking from a fire hose right now. So much information to sort through. I've had many questions answered just looking through the posts. I'll have tons more questions. I Hope you take kindly to the newbie.

-nicky
Welcome. I joined TF about a year ago. Now I am a trawler owner. Still learning a lot though. The members here are very knowledgeable and helpful and have been a great resource for me. Good luck with your endeavors.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! A word of advise, don't ask about anchors or guns. The discussion will never end and there is no right answer. In fact avoid using either the A word or the G word entirely.

For example, if you ask "What should I use to anchor my dinghy davit to the deck?"
You'll get an answer something like this; " I use a Rocna 25 kg with 400 feet of G4 3/8" chain. Only a fool would use anything else!" The next post would be something like; "You idiot! He wants to anchor his davit! Only a total idiot would use a Rocna to anchor a davit! My grandfather used a CQR and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!"

If you say something like "I had to gun the throttle to avoid a collision", you can imagine where that would go.

Oh yeah, watch out for RT Firefly, he's smart but a little nuts. His Welcome posts always sound nice and normal, but he's just sucking you in.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Welcome degidio ,

Have you done any boating before? Where, how long, what type of boats?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Welcome Nicky, where is NM? Enjoy the forum!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. LaB. New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

City: los alamos
Thanks for the welcome.

I have owned a few boats. Used mainly for water toys and ski's when my kids were young, then to fish. All of my boating done on lakes. I started out with a 16' bayliner, way under powered for the toys, then had a 21' monteray and now a suntracker pontoon.

Last year we rented a 36′ Grand Banks, and we were hooked. Dreaming about spending much more time on boats ever since.

Much to learn.
degidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #10

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome aboard
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome Aboard!

Try to stay out of trouble - things can get a bit rowdy at times!!

There is just about not any question you can ask that will not be answered... in one way, or several ways, and maybe just too many other ways too... on TF. You seem to mention in your op... "search" feature is already your friend; that is good!

Just remember to take all answers with grain (or two/three) of salt. There's usually several right ways and there's often numerous wrong ways to address/satisfy the needs/requirements relating to boats, boating, and marine life in general. Then, there are the plentiful “working” ways that are posted here by many of us with decades of personal experience regarding how we solved issues. It could be said that TF is pleasure boating’s sum culmination of Rube Goldberg-isms and MacGyver-isms all rolled into one forum.

End result here on TF is a great bunch of info at the ready. TF is the mobile-input, constantly morphing Wikipedia of pleasure boating answers and learning experiences for all us personal pleasure boat owners/users... newbies, midbies, and oldbies alike!

Happy Boat Learning Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #12
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! A word of advise, don't ask about anchors or guns. The discussion will never end and there is no right answer. In fact avoid using either the A word or the G word entirely.

For example, if you ask "What should I use to anchor my dinghy davit to the deck?"
You'll get an answer something like this; " I use a Rocna 25 kg with 400 feet of G4 3/8" chain. Only a fool would use anything else!" The next post would be something like; "You idiot! He wants to anchor his davit! Only a total idiot would use a Rocna to anchor a davit! My grandfather used a CQR and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!"

If you say something like "I had to gun the throttle to avoid a collision", you can imagine where that would go.

Oh yeah, watch out for RT Firefly, he's smart but a little nuts. His Welcome posts always sound nice and normal, but he's just sucking you in.

Youre telling me that you use a Rocna?? ... Pfft LOLOLOL

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hendo, don't be a bad boy and get it started. You Aussies are a real trouble makers.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hendo, don't be a bad boy and get it started. You Aussies are a real trouble makers.

Hahaha couldn't help myself hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by degidio View Post
..Last year we rented a 36′ Grand Banks, and we were hooked. .
Just using the word "hooked" can start another anchor thread.
Welcome Aboard.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote