Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

City: Darwin
Vessel Name: Marengo
Vessel Model: Timber 12.79 meters
Hello

Hello all
I've just joined
I am now the proud owner of a 1962 timber 12.79 meter trawler that just finished its last work trip last week and I am now retiring it from current working survey
Hull cabin engine all good needs a bit of a tidy up and stacked full of electronics was a bargain buy and fulfills what I have been looking for for quite a few years.
I plan on converting it to full live aboard and long range cruising
Most likely I will rebuild the top deck cabin and place a deck and fly bridge on top
In its early days it also had a mast which iI intend to put back
I welcome Ideas and questions as I am now in refit planning mode
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF7363.jpg   DSCF7358.jpg   DSCF7360.jpg   DSCF7357.jpg   DSCF7356.jpg  

DSCF7355.jpg   DSCF7354.jpg   DSCF7361.jpg  
wanderingdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
pictures would be great. Welcome
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

there you go pics up
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #4

City: Sydney
Now that's a dream I can relate to! Welcome aboard!
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle419 View Post
Now that's a dream I can relate to! Welcome aboard!
Yes I am looking forward to doing the conversion just working out at the moment where to start
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Guru

City: Perth
G'day mate. Good to see a fellow timber rebuild member.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #7

[QUOTE=Hendo78;122079]G'day mate. Good to see a fellow timber rebuild member.

Nice to meet you also
I am planing on taking her out of the water in about 20 days as it should be about peak wet season here so I am hoping with the high humidity and rain I can prevent the shrinkage while i inspect her hull and do a few repairs to some of her Planks lucky I don't really have rot to worry about just a few cracked planks
During the lift out I am also hoping to build the new top deck framework and if all goes well have her back in the water in a 14 day turnaround (maybe I am dreaming but i am gearing up to do it)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
Guru

Meh ... i say dream away mate!. Nothing wrong with that at all :-) I set myself goals with the boat im building. Sometimes I do it in that timeframe and sometimes I don't. That's part of the beauty of doing your own boat.

One thing that is a great thing to remember is post pics. It helps others that are doing the same learn from you and also invites comments for help and questions that you may have. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

There are some people on here that provide some unwanted suggestions but I have found if you tell em to piss off they tend to leave you alone and go back in their hole :-D usually it's the people that are to scared to attempt the job that criticise.

My project is about 12 months away from splashdown so I will live vicariously through your project as its sooner lol

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Hendo78;122087]Meh ... i say dream away mate!. Nothing wrong with that at all :-) I set myself goals with the boat im building. Sometimes I do it in that timeframe and sometimes I don't. That's part of the beauty of doing your own boat. ]

Thats the thing its finding knowledge when you need it can be hard
This boat was pulling out mackerel last week and is full current 3B survey which up here is hard to keep its going to kill me to kill off the survey
I got this at a unbelievable price as the guy just had enough and wanted out the electronics is worth more than what I paid for it
I has even been inspected by Shipwright for hull certification and passed the roll over test in the last 6mths
Thats the thing that is worrying me it was to good to be true and I bought it anyway ....
So the real test will be when I pull her from the water but I think our MSB mob up here would not let anything slide so I am hopeful but ready to be suprised
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Hendo78;122087]Meh ... i say dream away mate!. Nothing wrong with that at all :-) I set myself goals with the boat im building.]

do you have a thread with your project?? link please
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Guru

drew, nice pictures. Looks like it's going to be a great project. I started dealing with the immediate needs first, I purchased my boat after a fire so there was a lot of cleaning, about 80 cubic yards of trash and debris, next I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned some more. After I had a clean hull and cabin then I started working on all the systems that made it throught the fire. I got everthing working (two 6/71's and two 12kw gensets ((onan))) than I started painting the bilge. I am still painting the bilge. I would check your fuel tanks. You need good solid tanks if your going to build anything. Redue the fuel lines and vents. When you do make it to the topsides, I would build a subdeck over the existing deck and level everything out. That way you don't have to walk up and down a hill evertime your in the cabin. I attached a picture.

Look in the passage way and you will see the 2x4 that make the flat deck. These run above the regular deck to make everthing flat.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Guru

G'day Drew. I'm a carpenter mate and as such am really crap at computers and the internet :-/ i only really know how to log on here and post pics and updates. I don't know how to provide you a link but if you search for "g'day from Perth Western Australia" or click on my profile and search for threads I started you will find it (I think lol)

Sorry

Cheers
Matt

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #13

that's a brilliant idea and it solves several problems i was thinking about as i was going to enlarge the cabin to most of the length of the boat and fly bridge and place a top deck on her this will allow me to over build her existing cabin first saving me the dismantle of the existing cabin and gear connected
i would by doing this get the height to do so making it easier to just lift up installed equipment to the new frame and then demolish the old cabin underneath it it will save me about 200 hrs
I have in her a near new 25kva genset fuel tanks hold 2750 ltrs of fuel she is powered by a ford lee 120 hp
Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #14

found another pic
Attached Thumbnails
0212afk_20.jpeg  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
G'day Drew. I'm a carpenter mate and as such am really crap at computers and the internet :-/ i only really know how to log on here and post pics and updates. I don't know how to provide you a link but if you search for "g'day from Perth Western Australia" or click on my profile and search for threads I started you will find it (I think lol)
r
no prob ill work out how to find it
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingdrew View Post
I have in her a near new 25kva genset fuel tanks hold 2750 ltrs of fuel she is powered by a ford lee 120 hp
I would try to sell the 25kw (I'm assuming 25kva the va per = w. w=va) and buy a smaller 15 or 12 kw. My 12kw runs everything on my boat. I have a 1.5 ton ac/heat. Looks like a heatpac that would run a trailer or mobile home. The heat part of the unit has a 60 amp breaker and it puts a load on it but using a 25kw it's going to use a lot of fuel.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Guru

Is that a giant ice maker on the roof? If so sell that and the genset and all the commericial gear and that would fund a lot of work. Great find
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #18

A idea what I have got 4 tonne freezer for starters a spare engine muiltible ac units yep big ice maker brine tanks as for electronics heaps from full hf radio to sat phone radar sonar the list is endless im actully still compiling it
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Welcome Wandringdrew

The timber boats community is growing in this forum.

Flickr: Rainha Jannota's Photostream

Seasons Wishes
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #20

Interesting what you can find on a ship computer

going thru the ship computer today
have some early photos of her and pics of when they did up her freezer room thought i post them up
Attached Thumbnails
img013.jpg   img005.jpg   P8280079.JPG   P8280080.jpg   P8280081.jpg  

P8280082.jpg