Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not_Lost

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell everyone a bit about my background. I am a Florida native and grew up in St. Petersburg. My father worked with wood most of his life. He would call himself a wood craftsman. Now days we would call him a wood artisan. He hand made furniture (family business) and when that went out of style, he worked for Gulf Star and Morgan back in the 70's doing custom wood 'stuff.' I grew up with the wonderful smell of Mahongany, Teak, Cherry, stain and varnish. He taught me many skills, not just woodworking but engine mechanics, electrical, plumbing, etc. I have 2 boys who are 32 and 19. I currently live in Ft. Myers, FL. I also own (or maybe they own me) a couple of cats.

As a Floridian I have had a fair amount of experience with boats. Mostly sailboats and some smaller power boats. I have never owned a boat so this is a really big step for me (most of my friends think I have gone a bit 'overboard') but life is short and I want to try living on a boat.

As some of you already know, I was looking at an Alaskan but have decided that although my woodworking skills are pretty good, I am absolutely not a wood boatsmith and I do not have deep pockets. So the search continues. I am going to create a post in Boats Wanted to let everyone know what I am looking for and other details.

I want to say 'THANK YOU' again for all of the amazing and sage advice that I received concerning the Alaskan. I am looking forward to continuing a wonderful online conversation with everyone here on Trawler Forum and I hope that one day I will be able to meet some of you in person and share a drink and a sunset (I will bring the box wine and ice).:D

Welcome to the site.
Good luck with your search! :)

As a past long-time owner of a wooden Grand Banks, I would not actively argue against such a vessel. But, when I downsized to this zero-wood (except a bit of cabin furniture), I became a free man.

Welcome Aboard. Although they generally get a bad rap here on T.F., not all wood boats are bad.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom