Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Howdy there, Kansas. What's your boating experience, and where do you want to run your trawler? You can name it Prairie Schooner.

Howdy there, Kansas. What's your boating experience, and where do you want to run your trawler? You can name it Prairie Schooner.

Lol! I like your thinking... So I have been looking more at sailing the Caribbean and have some ASA classes to show for it. However with the state of the world right now, I've reconsidered that idea and have decided to go looping instead.

So for experience I'm limited to a couple weeks in a 36ft sloop. Right now I'm looking at 1980's aft cabin models in the 40ft range.

Lol! I like your thinking... So I have been looking more at sailing the Caribbean and have some ASA classes to show for it. However with the state of the world right now, I've reconsidered that idea and have decided to go looping instead.

So for experience I'm limited to a couple weeks in a 36ft sloop. Right now I'm looking at 1980's aft cabin models in the 40ft range.

Wonderful idea. Hopefully, tools are not strangers to your hands and you're good with 12-Volt troubleshooting. Having traversed most of the loop at one time or another, I can say be flexible about your schedule and be ready to spend time on the hook at any time.

RacerDave, welcome.
Which loop? East or west coast?
You are retired or soon to be retired?

Wonderful idea. Hopefully, tools are not strangers to your hands and you're good with 12-Volt troubleshooting. Having traversed most of the loop at one time or another, I can say be flexible about your schedule and be ready to spend time on the hook at any time.

Rgano, I know enough to be fairly dangerous in most trades.

Sorry, I forgot who asked if I was retired, I'll be joining the retirement tribe in early October. I plan to travel the entire ICW and the great loop.

I think it would be cool the watch SpaceX from Padre island which coincidentally is only a 14 hour commute from the house! That might be my home base except during hurricane season.

I know about the "Big U" and the Great Loop, and then there's always a little discussion about doing the Arctic passage when the ice melts, for those with seven or eight figure boats, but never heard of a west loop in North America anyway.

Welcome aboard. If you can dock a schooner, you can dock a trawler. Enjoy the search.

Welcome aboard. If you can dock a schooner, you can dock a trawler. Enjoy the search.

Thanks, I'm thinking it will be easier with the two props. I've been driving skidsteers\zero turn equipment since I was a pup.
The question about western loop had me a bit confused, I think he may have been talking going all the way down to NOLA?
If that's the case, then I'm going down the Tennessee. I have family in the muscle shoals area.

Thanks, I'm thinking it will be easier with the two props. I've been driving skidsteers\zero turn equipment since I was a pup.
The question about western loop had me a bit confused, I think he may have been talking going all the way down to NOLA?
If that's the case, then I'm going down the Tennessee. I have family in the muscle shoals area.

Welcome aboard! The one thing you can be sure of is opinions here. All in good fun.

I have a single prop. I wanted a lower operating cost and after learning how to dock, it works fine. I even have a tender with outboard in case the engine stops. You'll get many who think 2 is better and others who think why bring another when one will do. The skid steer had 1. Search Stupid Questions and you'll find a 4-5 page series of posts asking and debating the same question.

Good luck in your search.

Welcome aboard! The one thing you can be sure of is opinions here. All in good fun.

I have a single prop. I wanted a lower operating cost and after learning how to dock, it works fine. I even have a tender with outboard in case the engine stops. You'll get many who think 2 is better and others who think why bring another when one will do. The skid steer had 1. Search Stupid Questions and you'll find a 4-5 page series of posts asking and debating the same question.

Good luck in your search.

I'm really looking at 40ft class trawlers.looks like most of them have twins. And your right a skidsteer has one motor, but it has two independent propulsion units. The most important thing for me is that whatever I get it will be diesel.

I'm really looking at 40ft class trawlers.looks like most of them have twins. And your right a skidsteer has one motor, but it has two independent propulsion units. The most important thing for me is that whatever I get it will be diesel.

I have a Mainship 400. 36'6" single.

There are many single screw boats in the 40 to 45' range. Search Yatchworld and select 40', trawler, single engine. Under Advanced Search you can even select fuel type.
You may be surprised.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just looked at that link, I'm just not comfortable with older wooden hulled boats. I know there are some nice examples out there.

A wooden boat in the PNW, perhaps. For warmer waters, FL, there are better alternatives for hulls.... Personally, I would not want the additional maintenance requirement.

Welcome to Trawler Forums. I will highly recommend either the Grand Banks 36 or 42 for a excellent aft cabin loop boot.

Grand Banks = lots of exterior teak

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom