Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, been lurking as a guest for a while. This is a great site and I’ve enjoyed reading it in past months. Though currently boat-less and landlocked due to career moves I’ve been boating since my teens, have owned a couple smaller <30’ cruisers and operated larger vessels at work on the Great Lakes and Alaska. I’m now counting down to retirement in spring 2020 and my wife, two young boys and I hope to live aboard for 2-3 years doing the Great Loop incl Lake Superior, and a trip into the Caribbean. I’m just now entering the market for a 40-50’ heavy displacement “trawler” with three berth cabins and decent passagemaking ability.

Thanks for the site.

Welcome aboard.

What exactly do you mean by "heavy displacement," and "three berth cabins". Plus what else is on your "needs to have" versus "want to have" list? And do you have a "do not want" list?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

200.webp

Say hi to Yogi...

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

What exactly do you mean by "heavy displacement," and "three berth cabins". Plus what else is on your "needs to have" versus "want to have" list? And do you have a "do not want" list?

Hi.

Sorry, meant three sleeping cabins (I won’t use the term ‘stateroom’) - a walk around master and two others, at least one of which should have bunks.

By heavy displacement I mean full displacement or a heavier semi-displacement, not a planing hull. My current top contender is the DeFever 48, though the three-cabin Cheoy Lee models are interesting too. I went into this hoping for a fuel sipping single screw diesel but have resigned myself to doubles considering the size and berthing requirement (and a budget under 175k.) i would also prefer a pilothouse but again those seem in short supply in that size - I’m sticking to three cabins as a requirement. I’m fine with a cruise of 7kt and top end of ~10kt. I also want stabilization - either paravanes or auto. After our odyssey I will likely reposition to the left coast in winter and Alaska in summer.

Last edited:
Plus what else is on your "needs to have" versus "want to have" list? And do you have a "do not want" list?

Ah heck why not. Here goes some more:

Want to haves:
Galley up
500 gallons or better fuel
250 gallons or better fresh water
At least one autopilot
Prefer flybridge
Tender up with boom or crane
Stand up engine room or close to it.
Minimal outside teak - I know, comes with the models and price point, but still...
Prefer propane stovetop
Extra heating beyond a standard reverse cycle AC arrangement would be nice. I will have to install if not.

Need to haves:

a w/d combo unit if not a full stack
Household size fridge/freezer space
Room somewhere inside or out for smallish chest freezer
Ability to fold mast or arch for air draft under 19’
Draft under 5’
Stabilization. I’m fine with paravanes.
Engine room.
A lot of storage for kids stuff beyond what a typical cruising couple might carry. A very roomy lazarette with a large hatch(es) would be fabulous.
Reasonable dining table arrangement for 4-6 people in salon. Any armchairs or overstuffed sofas will be going on Craigslist.

And though I’m willing to tackle some projects I don’t need a major structural or mechanical one if avoidable. Rather pay a previous owner to have done it. For example: no original iron tanks. On the other hand I’m willing to install all new nav electronics to my preference unless the boat already has fairly new ones. Ditto with canvas and eisenglass.

Last edited:
Maybe a Defever 53 POC? 3 cabins, standup engine room, flybridge and most of your wants.

The biggy is budget, all kinds of stuff out there for you if you are Bill Gates. Fleming and Nordhaven, Selenes, just to name a few.

Hi.

After our odyssey I will likely reposition to the left coast in winter and Alaska in summer.

Sounds like you want a boat equipped for the PNW and the BC coast, so you should look in Seattle and Vancouver. Save lots on the $ conversion in the process. Also sounds like you want a DeFever 49.

Also sounds like you want a DeFever 49.

I don't know that either the 49 Pilothouse or the 49 CMY ever came with a third cabin as an option. I haven't found any in my online searching...and that is one of my "have to have's"...

Other than the Cheoy Lee 46 or 50 I can't find anything that can compare to the Defever 48, within my budget...

Maybe a Defever 53 POC? 3 cabins, standup engine room, flybridge and most of your wants.

I’m somewhat arbitrarily trying to stay under 50’.

But it appears that some if not all 47 POCs have three sleeping cabins. Interesting. Don’t know if I want or need, what, 750hp?

The 53 and 47 both have 3 cabins. Some 47s have an enclosed sundeck that acts like a salon. The main difference is the 53 has a standup engine room and 2 cabins forward and master aft. The 47 has decent headroom in the engine room but not standup and has 1 cabin forward and 2 cabins aft so the master isn’t as private as the 53.

BTW, if you are interested in a Defever, there is an owners group that you can join even if you don’t own a Defever. They have some owners manuals on the POCs that have some great info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom