Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FHDreamer

Vessel Name
????? TBD....
Vessel Make
Not yet! Looking....
Hello all!
I am a newbie to boating. I have never owned a boat and as such I have joined up to absorb all the knowledge that I can from you more experienced boaters. I have been contemplating living a "Tiny House Lifestyle" for several years and have only just now thought about going tiny onboard a boat instead. I have fallen in love with the Pacific Northwest and in particular the SJI's. I live in Florida so I know nothing about boating in the NW! Looking forward to poking around to see what I can learn. I am up for any suggestions on good books to learn about boating in the NW as well as suggestions on what types of boats are best to live onboard year round in Friday Harbor, WA. Will need to be about 80K tops so used smaller (around 30-40 feet maybe?) modest type boat suggestions would be helpful. Cheers! Mary:flowers:

Welcome aboard, Mary. You have good taste in lifestyles and in locales! Good luck with your boat research. You might check out a custom boat presently listed on Yachtworld.com - "1972 Jensen Custom Trawler Yacht, 35' Friday Harbor." It's located in Yorktown, VA, asking $69K. A beautiful older wooden boat, originally designed by Jay Benford and built for author Ernest K. Gann. I'm tempted myself, but for Florida waters, I long ago foreswore wooden boats. But she'd be right at home in Friday Harbor.

Lots of good boats available in the PNW without the issues of a wood hull or the cost and complexities of shipping. I can understand your love for the area...hope you've been there in the winter to really appreciate it fully.

Will you be cruising solo or is there a Mr. Dreamer?

If I was you, I'd steer toward diesel(s) (for safety and efficiency), semi-planing or displacement hull (whichever suits your need for speed best), a stout fiberglass hull and enough room to provide a little space separation (in the event there's a Mr. Dreamer).

Oh...and one more thing. Be sure to pick one that you like to look at from a fair distance b/c if you do it right, you'll be enjoying lots of areas around your boat and you'll be viewing it from all angles.

Welcome Mary. Just got introduced to pnw last year when we purchase our future retirement home (boat). Have fallen in love with all things pnw...people places and even Canada....we have kept Stormy at Sidney Canada and Bellingham Wa. Both wonderful. Good luck!

With no real experience at this type of boating you might consider chartering with a captain in the San Juans. There are a number of charter companies in the area that will do this.

We had a lot of smaller boat experience in this area but we had zero experience with a cruising boat when we decided to give it a try. So we chartered a 36' boat first to see if we even liked this kind of boating. We did, so a year or so later we bought our own boat.

Have fallen in love with all things pnw...people places and even Canada....

EVEN Canada? Hell, Canada's the only reason to live in Washington State. I didn't move from Hawaii to Washington because of Seattle. Seattle sucks. I moved from Hawaii to Washington in spite of Seattle. The main reason I moved and have stayed here for the past 36 years is because BC is right next door.

It would have been fabulous if Boeing had been a Canadian company located in Vancouver but you can't have everything. (Yes, I know Boeing had a holding in Vancouver but they just built little boats, not airplanes.)

Welcome.
I chartered for couple weeks in Desolation Sound. Great learning experience....taught me how much i have to learn.

Have been long distance shopping for the "right boat" for a year or so.

Good Luck.

Welcome Aboard and Good Luck........enjoy your search Mary! I was in the USCG stationed in Gig Harbor Wa....we spent a fair amount of time up in the San Juans.....Beautiful choice of where to boat, and they now make shoes and sandals to fit the "webbed feet" you'll acquire over time.

Hello all!
I am a newbie to boating. I have never owned a boat and as such I have joined up to absorb all the knowledge that I can from you more experienced boaters. I have been contemplating living a "Tiny House Lifestyle" for several years and have only just now thought about going tiny onboard a boat instead.

Cheers Mary and welcome to Trawler Forum. In answer to your query about living near the North Pole, or as some like to call it, Friday Harbor (insert laughter) I know nothing. I'm in Florida and rather like it. Except for the heat, humidity, mosquitoes, noseeums, alligators, snakes and bears, what's not to like?

I'd suggest you start with Boat Life 101 -- and a week or so ago I posted an article on that very topic. It points you toward books, resources and Stuff-to-Know before spending big bucks.

Article here: Janice142 article Learning about Life Afloat (a checklist)

I wrote that for a friend who is considering purchase of a yacht. He's had experience on smaller boats and wants to try life afloat. Helping him get up to speed so he has enough knowledge to decide if this for him was the purpose of the piece.

The suggestion to charter with a captain was excellent. A week won't tell you if this is definitely for you, however it ought to tell you if it is not.

Anyway, I wish you all the best Mary.

This life really is spectacular. I like it. :)

:hello:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom