Greetings from Singapore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin R

Vessel Make
Still looking
Hello all,

I’m a noob and have never owned a boat. But I’ve always enjoyed being out on the water, whether in a canoe or a cruise ship, or anything in between. It’s been a lifelong dream to retire on a liveaboard boat and explore parts of the world. At first the dream was always a sailboat, but lately has turned towards power boating, specifically trawlers or motor yachts.

I’m Canadian, my wife is Singaporean, and we’ve been living and working in Singapore for 25 years. Retirement is approaching and we are beginning to look seriously at the boating dream. But the situation is a bit complicated. We would like to remain domiciled in Singapore for tax reasons, but spend much/most of our time on a boat in Canadian/US waters, with occasional trips to other countries and back to Singapore, with medical insurance where necessary to cover us wherever we are.

So there are a lot of questions I’ll be asking in due course about purchase, registration, taxes, insurance etc for non-residents, as well as general boat questions.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I’ll see you on the various boards. Have a good day!

Regards,
Kevin

We can only make suggestion:

1. Keep the hailing port, on the stern, as Singapore and fly the Singapore.

@Dan I would think the opposite. Cruising in America is a royal PITA for foreign flagged vessels. Documentation costs here are nothing. Insurance, well he could always just get liability only for a couple hundred bucks a year. I'm assuming that he's American.

What reasons would you offer for such?

Hi all. This was meant to be just a quick hello. I’ll post some questions, with more detail, in the relevant boards shortly. But thanks for the replies so far.

Back
Top Bottom