Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
Thanks Bacchus--I like the look of that boat. As I talk to folks on this forum, many are swaying me towards a Flybridge. Plusses & Minuses to everything. I really thought I knew exactly what I wanted but I'm keeping the Admiral involved and she wants us to Sea trial both Fly-Bridge & hard tops. Some of the boats at 34' just look top heavy to me w/a Fly-bridge?
T-Bird, you are right to think twice re the flybridge. We had a CHB 34, (Clipper 34 in Oz waters), and it had a flybridge. Even in the Queensland climate I have to say we spent little time up there. Nice in certain situations, sure. Eg watching NYE fireworks, photographing wildlfie, etc. But instruments don't like being exposed to the elements, and often it's either too hot - or too cold, to be up there, and there's the climbing up and down. And if you're going to enclose it and form essentially what one long-time member on here (FF) calls an oxygen tent, then why not just stay below.

But looking to become say, less fossil fuel dependent for energy, an uncluttered top deck makes for a lot of solar panel room - just sayin.'
Having said that I would regard a pilot side door out a must have.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Portland, TN
Vessel Name: Roundabout
Vessel Model: 2000 Donzi Z275
Tbird,

Welcome to the forum. Great people here. Lots of knowledge and great advise.

I crawled around many boats before i found my little Donzi express cruiser (express = goes fast) Its like a 27ft camper that floats. I looked at so many different boats they started to blend together. Started big, then got smaller. Looked at our budget and realized that a bigger boat wasn't practical for us. So, the Donzi was a perfect compromise for us. Its light weight and trailerable without a permit. Way lighter than the comparable Sea Rays. We go on our cruises ad time and money permit. Love all of the boaters we have met in our travels so far.

Have fun looking, ask questions, swap stories and before you know it, the right boat will come along.

Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #23

City: Amelia Island FL
Vessel Name: Ali Kai
Vessel Model: Sailfish 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
Tracy,

Can you reply to other postings now I called for help.
Hi Capt Lee! Thanks!
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks5501 View Post
Tbird,

Welcome to the forum. Great people here. Lots of knowledge and great advise.

I crawled around many boats before i found my little Donzi express cruiser (express = goes fast) Its like a 27ft camper that floats. I looked at so many different boats they started to blend together. Started big, then got smaller. Looked at our budget and realized that a bigger boat wasn't practical for us. So, the Donzi was a perfect compromise for us. Its light weight and trailerable without a permit. Way lighter than the comparable Sea Rays. We go on our cruises ad time and money permit. Love all of the boaters we have met in our travels so far.

Have fun looking, ask questions, swap stories and before you know it, the right boat will come along.
Thanks Heather & Mack!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
T-Bird, you are right to think twice re the flybridge. We had a CHB 34, (Clipper 34 in Oz waters), and it had a flybridge. Even in the Queensland climate I have to say we spent little time up there. Nice in certain situations, sure. Eg watching NYE fireworks, photographing wildlfie, etc. But instruments don't like being exposed to the elements, and often it's either too hot - or too cold, to be up there, and there's the climbing up and down. And if you're going to enclose it and form essentially what one long-time member on here (FF) calls an oxygen tent, then why not just stay below.

But looking to become say, less fossil fuel dependent for energy, an uncluttered top deck makes for a lot of solar panel room - just sayin.'
Having said that I would regard a pilot side door out a must have.
Good stuff Sparks and thanks...the solar panels are interesting. I l also need room for SUP and Kayak!
Take care.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #26

City: Desoto
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: 1973 Alaskan 59-B PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
Hi Capt Lee! Thanks!

Glad to see everything is working OK
Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
In addition to owning a non flybridge MS Pilot 34 in the US NE for five years, I owned a MS 34T, the flybridge version of the 34HT, in southern California. With its wide beam the 34T didn't have significantly different roll characteristics than the Pilot 34. The 34HT probably rolls a little less due to less weight up top but note that the weight difference between the T and HT is only about 1,000 lbs.

I wouldn't want a party of 6 or more going on up top on my 34T while pushing it through 5'+ seas but hey I couldn't have a party of 6 or more on my Pilot 34 anyway.

In SoCal I definitely wanted a flybridge model. In the US NE, I didn't. It all depends on how you use the boat.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #28

Great Response and Funny!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:51 AM   #29

City: Shelton
Vessel Name: Loon's Call
Vessel Model: Legacy Hardtop Sedan
It appears that I can now send posts. I emailed regarding availability of a Legacy 34' in Ft L. Call me at the phone number emailed if interested. Gary

Gary tc is offline   Reply With Quote