Greetings all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopinox

Vessel Name
Bluey
Vessel Make
BlackWatch 33
Hi new member ....Awesome forum.
In the middle of purchasing a Cheoy Lee 40ft Trawler....interested to hear from other owners. The good the bad and the ugly.

Welcome to TF. Stand by for incoming...remember...you asked for it...:flowers:

Welcome to the fourm. Great place to get very good information.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat, hopefully. We will need photos when it is actually yours.

Thanks for the welcomes!!! Can anyone point me in the right directions for some Cheoy Lee info....also looking for manuals for the Ford Lees 120hp if anyone can help..

Contact American Diesel with any F.L. questions. Manuals and small parts are also on eBay.

Beware of The steel fuel tanks on Taiwan Trawlers (T.T.). They will fail at 30 years. You don't mention the age of your purchase but the fuel tanks are always suspect.

pete

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Well built boats, IMO.

Mr. PM. Yet again, Cheoy Lee's are NOT, repeat, NOT built in Taiwan!!!!!!!!
Our Cheoy Lee (46' LRC) has FRP fuel tanks. No suspicions there, at all.

Thanks for the reply's Pete ....The fuel tanks are fiberglass. Apparently it's a 82 model.

Welcome to the asylum. Lots of Lehman owners here. You will get answers.

Thanks for the welcomes!!! Can anyone point me in the right directions for some Cheoy Lee info....also looking for manuals for the Ford Lees 120hp if anyone can help..

I am assuming you meant Ford Lehman engines. Brian at American Diesel is the guru. 804-435-3107

Welcome. "Sale" as a your city entry does not help me locate you. A good location description would probably ensure more directed answers for help when you ask.

Ah, yes, the good old days when information was difficult to find....
These days, thank to the internet, you can find more information that you really want. SMILE

My location is Sale Victoria Australia......no I was looking for info on Ford Lees....apparently the same motor as the Lehman but using a different marinizing kit I think they where from New Zealand but can't seem to find much info

We are currently in state wide lockdown due to bloody COVID so PPI on stop for now....yes there is plenty of info on the net but really having trouble finding anything related to Ford Lees....hopefully if all go to plan will have lots of photo's coming up.

I believe there are some Ford Lehman manuals in the library on this forum.

I dont use it much so someone else might help. If on the desktop site, something near the top of the page might be library.

Not that it affects you, but for others...metal fuel tanks fail whenever they have an issue. If no issues, they last an indeterminent period of time.

There is no magic number....too many variables to say when they should be replaced.

Last edited:
18_4.jpg

Yes, those Cheoy Lees did for some reason for a time use the Ford Lees conversion, rather than the Lehman, but the blocks and heads are pretty similar to the Lehman, so you might get a lot of help from the Lehman manual, a copy of which is bound to be available somewhere on here. In fact, I think I have a copy myself. I'll check, and if so sending me your email means I could attach it for you. I got it from someone else that way yonks ago.

However, it sounds like you are/were not alone - have a look at this thread I came up with by a search - one post advises a fellow has the manual for the Ford Lees even, so that might still be available from that member. Let me know by PM if not. See post 6 by a fellow NZer on here...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/looking-info-ford-lees-120hp-42378.html
Cheers,

Thanks for the response Pete...have sent the other member a PM...have sent you a PM

Hi Mopinox, I guess I'm the fellow in NZ, I have just emailed you with a copy of the manual. Most of the patterns are still about so it is possible to get most of the parts made if need be.

Hi Mopinox, I guess I'm the fellow in NZ, I have just emailed you with a copy of the manual. Most of the patterns are still about so it is possible to get most of the parts made if need be.
Thereyago. The forum doing what it does so well. Thanks BeeJay. :thumb:

:thumb::thumb:Yes great forum with great people.....thanks to everyone that has reached out...and BeeJay for a couple of the manual ...much appreciated

The Ford engine Lehman marinized was also marinized by Lees, and by Bowman. Maybe others. Base engine parts may be available from marinizers, but Ford tractor dealers are a good source, the engine was used in numerous Ford commercial vehicles incl tractors. No idea if ADC as the Lehman successor can supply marinizing parts to fit a Lees marinization but it`s worth asking, I`d wager Brian has been asked before, he may even know a Lees source.

I can track down almost all the Less patterns so it is possible to get Less marine parts new if you need them. The Kiwi equivalent to Brian is a really nice chap named Don Bernand, in his 80's now and still working everyday. He still owns the boat on the cover of the Lees Manual.

Congrats and welcome to the awesome world of Cheoy Lees! Sounds like you’re well on your way to getting good information on the Ford Lees. If you are interested in perusing a website with lots of cool info on Cheoy Lees in general (plus model specific info if available), try this:

https://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/a_entrance.htm

My location is Sale Victoria Australia......no I was looking for info on Ford Lees....apparently the same motor as the Lehman but using a different marinizing kit I think they where from New Zealand but can't seem to find much info
Congratulations on the purchase. I think I have heard good things about that boat. It's currently moored two jetties from our boat. I assume Rob surveyed it?

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat, hopefully. We will need photos when it is actually yours.

You know the saying..."No photos? Then it never happened!"

GLWTS! Then let's see how she looks...:D

Greetings

We have lived aboard a 36 Catalina on the Pacific side of Mexico for about five years.
We have decided to relocate here in southern Florida. We’re going to sell the boat in Mexico and purchase a Trawler. Getting to old to sail anymore.
We are looking for a Mainship 34. Would appreciate any information on a Mainship.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom