Greetings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I've just joined so time to introduce myself. I grew up on and around the water in South Florida, messing around with boats of all sizes. Having lived around the world, we are now back in South Florida.

Professionally I have been a sea goung captain of commercial vessels and large yachts up to 300' and currently I am a fleet operations manager in vessel safety management (ISM/ISPS/MLC). So I have a little background in boating, however I am new to the trawler community.

My wife and I are looking at buying a trawler for coastal cruising in the Bahamas and US East Coast, primarily. Presently we are looking at Grand Banks 32 sedan, Island Gypsy Europa 36 and Kadey Krogen 42 in ascending size and descending likelihood. And then there are motorailers...

I look forward to learning from this forum and community!

Matt

Matt
Welcome aboard TF
Nice to have folks come aboard with your experience and perspective.

Thanks for the welcome! There's always things to learn and different ways of doing things, which is why I'm here. Hopefully it will help us make a good choice when we finally become owners. Understood on pictures but we will have to actually buy a boat first! ;-)

IMO go with a 40' + boat if possible for more creature comforts during lond stays on the boat. Spend a lot of time walking and sitting on a lot of boats and imagine yourselves living on them for weeks. Look at a Zillion boats and don't make the same mistake many people do and buy the wrong boat.

My goal when I bought my boat was to never visit someone else's boat, in the same size class, and think i wish I had seen that style before I bought. Buy your last boat first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome! There's always things to learn and different ways of doing things, which is why I'm here. Hopefully it will help us make a good choice when we finally become owners. Understood on pictures but we will have to actually buy a boat first! ;-)

That may make a difference. But we like photos of any boats you look at. Just any photos will make us happy...

Matt,
I would advise to first figure out how you and your wife plan to use the boat. Short trips for a few days vs long trips of several weeks or months. Lots of guests or hardly any. Many things to consider along this line, but you get the idea. Then it will become more clear what size, make(s), model(s), and features are important to you both and "how you are going to use her".

Of the boats you listed, I personally like the KK 42 (or 39), but it will be your boat, so your needs, likes, and wants are what is important!!
Good luck, and keep us posted.

Bayview, thanks for the good advice. We are in no rush and plan to look at many boats before buying.

"Buy your last boat first" is a great way to look at it.

Thanks,
Matt

Firehoser75, your advice is spot on. Actually, I've given similar advice to others on boats. I see every boat as a collection of compromises and when you gain one attribute you lose another. We are very clear on how we would use it, which will be just the two of us with occasionally another couple for a day cruise or dinner & drinks. Short trips from a couple days to a couple weeks for now. An aft deck and easy access to the water and tender are important.
Thanks,
Matt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom