Greeting to you all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mbevins. Yes that is us. Just waiting to get a Speedseal for the Yanmar and touching up bottom paint. Amazing. When did you go!

Haven't been there this spring. I saw you in the fall parked out by the road. Paul and Mark do a fair bit of work for me. Paul does all my wood and Mark the rest. They are a great group of people.
Where do you float up here? I'm on Pike Creek .

mbevins. As we are so heavy and with full length keel we have to use a mobile lift. hence St Clair. Jose has done work as well as Kurt an Mark as well. All first rate and no complaints. We are based in Leamington and do most of our boating on Lake Erie and as yet have not been up your way but maybe next year!

We flip between Erie and Huron so we'll keep an eye out for you. We also have a place on the Caloosahatchee so if I see a small tug in my neighborhood I'll give a yell.

Will try and keep an eye open for you as wee

North Baltic. Hello to you. There have been lots of reviews of these. Not too many good in view of their expense. Do you have any info on the "new"ones?

North Baltic. Hello to you. There have been lots of reviews of these. Not too many good in view of their expense. Do you have any info on the "new"ones?

Tootles - What do you mean by... "There have been lots of reviews of these. Not too many good in view of their expense."

Have the reviews shown that they wear out too fast in relation to expense? Or, are those impellers not as efficient for moving fluid??

Seems to me that if an impeller can last longer for sure (especially when occassionally running dry) that cost would need to be astronomical to override peace of mind and actually realized security.

I agree the principle is great but reviews and talking to mechanics they say they do not seem to last any longer than regular ones! Very disappointing.

Impellers are wear parts, here the globe wheels are about the same price as jabsco, sherwood etc. I know them on the machines used on the authorities machines that require special reliability, no information on how often to change.

How many hours you can run your generator without the problem of the impeler breaks down?

Hi North Baltic again. I cannot find my hour meter but I am now on my forth impeller and possibly 50 hours on the generator , This is a new boat with factory installed gen set.

Another impeller issue to look at. How old are the impellers you're installing? I've seen some very brittle impellers being carried as spare parts, even some old ones on shelves of dealers. How do you store them on the boat? We record dates on all impellers and we also store them in sealed bags and not in the ER with the heat there. Impellers, almost universally, are cheaply made items.

Thanks BandB that question has occurred to me as well . I have not been able to find dates but do keep them in a plastic bag in a tote under the stairs in my helm not hot there. They appear to be Sherwood 10000k

Thanks BandB that question has occurred to me as well . I have not been able to find dates but do keep them in a plastic bag in a tote under the stairs in my helm not hot there. They appear to be Sherwood 10000k

We've had them shipped to us and clearly old inventory, which we returned. Also, you should double check the housing for it and make sure they're nothing amiss where you're putting it.

In Yesteryear: Do you recall the age old way to keep the swim fins' and mask's rubber parts supple and good condition... i.e. talcum powder liberally covering all the rubber material surfaces before dry storage in a bag. Worked good back then. Otherwise the fin and mask rubber would dry out and crack. Don't see need for that any more for same equipment. New/improved material seems to not dry out or crack. I've pair of fins some 15 yrs. old... still in good condition. Mask is 10 yrs. and going strong! :thumb:

Wonder if that talcum power trick might work for storing impellers?? :confused:

OTOH - With the super strong, long lasting materials in this 21st Century - Why can't they make impellers that never dry out in storage and that virtually never wear out in use. I'd pay couple hundred $$ or more for impellers that did not wear out! Gues they are made to fail so that sales of replacements continues unabated. :facepalm:

Art. So would I!! I feel the same way and in our little Tug we put some sound proofing on the floor as well so when cruising it becomes a major inconvenience to get at the generator!

I have a hard time believing that you would get that many bad impellers. I would look at the inside of the pump to see if there is a problem there. I've only had one impeller fail on me over the years and that was an impeller on a fuel transfer pump.

I have had 2diesel mechanics look at the housing and they both say they cannot find any problem with the pump insides as that was suggested by some mechanics at Marathon

Back
Top Bottom