Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Leamington ON
Vessel Name: Tootles
Vessel Model: Nordic 26
Hi North Baltic again. I cannot find my hour meter but I am now on my forth impeller and possibly 50 hours on the generator , This is a new boat with factory installed gen set.

Tootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Another impeller issue to look at. How old are the impellers you're installing? I've seen some very brittle impellers being carried as spare parts, even some old ones on shelves of dealers. How do you store them on the boat? We record dates on all impellers and we also store them in sealed bags and not in the ER with the heat there. Impellers, almost universally, are cheaply made items.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks BandB that question has occurred to me as well . I have not been able to find dates but do keep them in a plastic bag in a tote under the stairs in my helm not hot there. They appear to be Sherwood 10000k
Old 05-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles View Post
Thanks BandB that question has occurred to me as well . I have not been able to find dates but do keep them in a plastic bag in a tote under the stairs in my helm not hot there. They appear to be Sherwood 10000k
We've had them shipped to us and clearly old inventory, which we returned. Also, you should double check the housing for it and make sure they're nothing amiss where you're putting it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #45
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
In Yesteryear: Do you recall the age old way to keep the swim fins' and mask's rubber parts supple and good condition... i.e. talcum powder liberally covering all the rubber material surfaces before dry storage in a bag. Worked good back then. Otherwise the fin and mask rubber would dry out and crack. Don't see need for that any more for same equipment. New/improved material seems to not dry out or crack. I've pair of fins some 15 yrs. old... still in good condition. Mask is 10 yrs. and going strong!

Wonder if that talcum power trick might work for storing impellers??

OTOH - With the super strong, long lasting materials in this 21st Century - Why can't they make impellers that never dry out in storage and that virtually never wear out in use. I'd pay couple hundred $$ or more for impellers that did not wear out! Gues they are made to fail so that sales of replacements continues unabated.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Art. So would I!! I feel the same way and in our little Tug we put some sound proofing on the floor as well so when cruising it becomes a major inconvenience to get at the generator!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have a hard time believing that you would get that many bad impellers. I would look at the inside of the pump to see if there is a problem there. I've only had one impeller fail on me over the years and that was an impeller on a fuel transfer pump.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I have had 2diesel mechanics look at the housing and they both say they cannot find any problem with the pump insides as that was suggested by some mechanics at Marathon