Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
Member
 
City: San Antonio
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Greenhorn

Hello fellow boaters! New here, lurked for a while and decided to join in. I live in San Antonio TX and home port is Rockport Tx, the gem of the Texas coast.
I have a 28ft Bertram Trawler, very rare! She came with the name BADABING. We were told that she was trucked down from Connecticut yrs ago. Here are a few recent pics of her on the hard getting some needed work in my yard.

Just wanted to stick my neck out and say hello
Attached Thumbnails
20220306_153928.jpg   20220306_175327.jpg  
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15,821
Welcome aboard. We are heading to Texas tomorrow for out grandsons high school graduation.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:33 PM   #3
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,636
Welcome to TF. A very seaworthy craft you have there. Ah, point of order, but those are/were not trawlers, but were usually driven by a fairly powerful outboard. But that's ok - our definition of trawler is very flexible. Yours may have been de-powered to a hull-speed motor..?

I still remember very clearly the relief when we got home after a fishing trip here in Moreton Bay many years ago, in one of those, so they've been around a fair time, and have 'reputation'.

We were anchored in a place in Moreton Bay called the Blue Hole, which was only accessible, to get in - or out - above half tide. The weather went pear-shaped while we were there and had to wait out the turn of the tide to be able to leave for home. To get home without running out of fuel, the owner said he would have to come home on the plane, ( I suspect he was wrong, in retrospect) - in 30kn+ of wind and waves, which had developed rather unexpectedly. Wow - just wow. We were airborne at time and taking solid green over the cabin-top. Slamming into 6-10 foot waves was no fun, but it sure showed what the vessel was capable of handling..!
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:43 PM   #4
Member
 
City: San Antonio
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Thanks and welcome to TX!
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #5
Member
 
City: San Antonio
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Peter
YIKES! That story sounds well "etched" into the memories and rightfully so...
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:24 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADABING View Post
Hello fellow boaters! New here, lurked for a while and decided to join in. I live in San Antonio TX and home port is Rockport Tx, the gem of the Texas coast.
I have a 28ft Bertram Trawler, very rare! She came with the name BADABING. We were told that she was trucked down from Connecticut yrs ago. Here are a few recent pics of her on the hard getting some needed work in my yard.

Just wanted to stick my neck out and say hello
Look forward to your boat being on the water again. There was a time Bertram owned the seas. I've only been to Rockport once, after Hurricane Harvey. Sure hope the community has rebuilt from those times. We actually left there with two 17 year olds, one now living in Jupiter, FL and one outside Charlotte, NC. The people were bonding together so well through impossible times.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #7
Member
 
City: San Antonio
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Look forward to your boat being on the water again. There was a time Bertram owned the seas. I've only been to Rockport once, after Hurricane Harvey. Sure hope the community has rebuilt from those times. We actually left there with two 17 year olds, one now living in Jupiter, FL and one outside Charlotte, NC. The people were bonding together so well through impossible times.
BandB, the whole area has recovered now. It was tough, I had friends who lived in RP. They stayed with me during the storm and I went with them on first trip back. I had never seen anything like it. Miles of destruction and then there would be a house that didn't look damaged. Strange... One friends house destroyed while others was like it was when he left. But his yard was a different story..

And thanks, I am looking to being back in too.
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
Guru
 
HopCar's Avatar
 
City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,070
Welcome aboard! I worked next door to the Bertram factory for about fifty years. Never saw a 28 with a cabin like that. They all had bigger cabins with flying bridges and smaller cockpits. Was yours modified or did it leave the factory that way?
__________________
Parks Masterson
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:21 PM   #9
Member
 
City: San Antonio
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! I worked next door to the Bertram factory for about fifty years. Never saw a 28 with a cabin like that. They all had bigger cabins with flying bridges and smaller cockpits. Was yours modified or did it leave the factory that way?
Thanks! I was told the boat was modded in Connecticut. I've seen it inside and out, they did a pretty good job 🤠!
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012