Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiropaul View Post
For your info, Boomerang is back on the market. Here's the link
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1973...carib-7981718/
Based upon the above listing, it is a well equipped boat for a max of 2 people to do the loop.
Might be worthy of a walk-through.
Storage, at best, is very limited. No hanging closet.
I guess the shower is in the aft cockpit? Hello shower curtain. SMILE
No mention of holding tank so I guess it is a composting head.
Even has a generator.
Apparently the stove is in-operative. That should be an easy and inexpensive drop in replacement
Didn't find a mention of AC
No mention of an inverter and not sure if the limited batteries can support one. Just have to rely on the generator. Not a problem.
The rudder looks small but then, my trawler has a barn door for a rudder.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanUDT21 View Post
Thanks for the links that you shared! I have a 32' 1983 Bayliner 3270 MY. It is a trawler type boat especially with the 6 cylinder engines that it has. I was wondering if it could be a loop boat or not. After seeing your links above, I have no doubt that it could. Thanks!
Sure could do the loop in it. Neat layout in them.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Check out YouTube video series on Great Loop by Slow Bells.

Keep a sharp lookout for boat listings around Mobile and New Orleans....many first mates cry enough...sell that damned thang....at the ordeal's end.

Spend a few months at least looking at listings and visiting marinas. Go see as many interesting boats as you can. Join MTOA and the loop associations. get your feet at least damp before you spend any money. The boat market is crazy expensive right now, so it's a great time to be an observer and watch for the reduced signs, They will happen, especially if you're not in a rush. Good Luck in your search.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #24
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
With that budget, you might consider a sailboat with mast and sails removed to be used only for motoring. Efficient to run and simple systems to maintain generally. Lots of living space in a mid-30' range.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Dark Harbor Maine
Vessel Name: SOU'WESTER
Vessel Model: Hinckley Talaria 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Frosty, SMILE
As I said, the loop can be done in a row boat but, I dont of anyone alive who would be comfortable doing the loop in a row boat.
Some folks are comfortable living in a one room apartment and a fold out couch.
I have lived in a pup-tent for months. Personally, I do not want to experience that again.
One has to determine their own minimal comfort-level. That is why there are many brands and lengths of boats. SMILE
My boat is a 34/36 AT, WWL 32. It is more than comfortable for me and one additional person but, I have had 4 onboard for more than a month.

Soooo, in conclusion, one has a budget and a comfort level. Finding a boat to fulfill both can be difficult..... but it can be done.

I did meet a guy in 1995 who rowed a 16’ open boat from Quebec City out the St Lawrence down the Maritimes, New England, (he was required to get a ride through the Cape Cod canal as he had no engine) down the East Coast and all the way to NOLA. We bought him breakfast in Newport RI and saw him again a few weeks later in LI Sound. He sent an email when he eventually got to NOLA! I was amazed, but he actually did it!

He kept camping gear and food in waterproof barrels.

So you CAN go in anything!

For your budget:

As Lin and Larry (RIP) Pardy told me in 2011, just GO!!!

Don't overthink it. Get a solid simple boat, single diesel, 100 gallons is fine, diesel is everywhere on that route. Bring two 5 gal jugs in case you need to buy it inland. A 6-10 knot 28-34’ boat will be economical and still allow for 50-100 mile days.

FORGET extravagances like aircon: time your trip for the best seasonal temps and have shades and ventilation.

Have a good depth sounder or two and use Navionics on the iPad. It is awesome and we have used it to navigate over 7000 miles in the last 5 years. I just renewed it yesterday for $22.99 for another year.

If you want/need radar the wireless Furuno model works great and costs about $1200.

No need to spend $30k on electronics anymore!

Solar is cheap and get More than you think you need. We power our entire 40’ boat including Fridge and the panels help shade the boat from the sun’s heat! (We travel Maine to SC)

A fridge is great, but you CAN survive with ice.

You DO need a good head and holding tank. You can do all that work yourself if needed.

Also, if you don't limit yourself to FL, you can find some nice boats along the route and just start there. Look in the great lakes!! Nice boats, well preserved.

With a solid basic boat you can also do lots of projects along the way to enhance it.
OCEANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #26
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Oceana, I read the iPhone13 will be able to interact with low orbit satellites.
That should really help with navigation using the iPhone. When will the iPad catch up?
Old 09-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEANA View Post
You DO need a good head and holding tank. You can do all that work yourself if needed.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything in your post. Hear, hear! Only quibble would be the part I quoted/bolded above. I'd say a person who wanted to go on a budget could go with a Porta Potti or, these days, a dessicating head like an Airhead/Nature's Head/cheaper C-head. Simple.

If you do use a Porta Potti one good trick is to buy an identical second PP, but only bring along the base section (which is the "black tank"). Then you can switch them out when the first one gets full and have double the capacity (and some spare parts from the rest of the second unit).

Some small boats will have the head very close to the sleeping berth (or even under it). With a PP you can sometimes put it out in the cockpit at night (especially if you have a cockpit enclosure and/or are in a secluded anchorage). Much more privacy.

I imagine the above might sound awful in comparison to a lovely teak paneled/marble countered/separate showered head on a large boat (and they ARE nice, no question!); but we're talking $35k entire boat budget here.

(Again though, that's just a minor quibble. I thought your post was spot on.)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #28
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Great loop

I would definitely go with newer 4 stroke outboarfs, however, unless I was very good at working on whatever inboards my vessel had.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Oceana, I read the iPhone13 will be able to interact with low orbit satellites.
That should really help with navigation using the iPhone. When will the iPad catch up?
Hi OldDan1943,

It would seem to be a natural and practical evolution wouldn't it?

It looks like they have to include a specific chip and that may or may not happen soon on the phones and then be limited to emergency text ls and messaging, so not yet as powerful as an inReach or Spot communicator.

I cannot find anything yet that says the chip will be included on iPads…

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/iphone-13-rumored-satellite-connectivity-might-be-less-useful-than-we-thought/

Still, I have to believe Sat service for mobile phones cannot be far off?

Todd
Old 09-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #30
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEANA View Post
Hi OldDan1943,

It would seem to be a natural and practical evolution wouldn't it?

It looks like they have to include a specific chip and that may or may not happen soon on the phones and then be limited to emergency text ls and messaging, so not yet as powerful as an inReach or Spot communicator.

I cannot find anything yet that says the chip will be included on iPads…

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/iph...an-we-thought/

Still, I have to believe Sat service for mobile phones cannot be far off?

Todd
I agree that is the natural evolution and I would bet not far off.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I saw that ad for Boomerang as well. Pretty sure there are old threads here involving that boat.

The Fales/Willard boats were my first choice when I was looking for an inexpensive loop boat. Everything else I considered was sort of benchmarked against that boat. They're scarce though, and some are pretty tired.

As Frosty mentioned, I did the loop in an old Mainship 34. It had more comforts than I had set out to find, and served me well. But I was largely solo and have pretty low needs. I really liked the boat. Good choice.

Any boat in that price range is going to be a compromise. I'd argue for small. The older European boats like the Albin 27 could do the trip quite handily and economically, and are comfortably in your price range.

We have a friend who just moved from Sail to an Albin 27 and I think that would be and excellent loop boat for two esp. with good Canvas across the mid-cockpit. A bit small for my taste, but comfy and capable!
Old 09-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #32
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Don't iphones have a GPS chip in them now? Not sure just any satellite will help with nav.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #33
Guru

City: West coast
Good luck! That sounds like a great trip.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote