Glad to be here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found you guys, love the forum. Retiring in less than a year, and planning on being a live-aboard, again. Hopefully on a bigger boat this time. Look forward to the info and and sage advice.

Welcome aboard and... damned lucky guy to be retired in only 1 year :D

L.

Welcome aboard and... damned lucky guy to be retired in only 1 year :D

L.

I was supposed to be retired now. But things fell apart re the retirement home new build we were planning, so it's back to square one. if it was just me, I'd do just what the OP is planning - bigger boat and live on it and bugger a land-based house. However, the 2iC would not like that at all. :nonono:

I was supposed to be retired now. But things fell apart re the retirement home new build we were planning, so it's back to square one. if it was just me, I'd do just what the OP is planning - bigger boat and live on it and bugger a land-based house. However, the 2iC would not like that at all. :nonono:

Sorry to read that your retirement plans broke apart Pete :(

Welcome aboard, IHD. It's a great retirement plan that many here share.

My boat's ideal for my needs but not big enough to be a comfortable 2-person liveaboard. Besides, I wouldn't be able to convince my wife into doing that. So we keep the dirt house and the boat of my dreams and enjoy retirement in both.

Next week we take the 3-hr ride to San Francisco for a week of fun in and around the city. Got a slip for under $45 per night at a downtown marina with a million dollar view. That leaves lots of disposable $$ for activities, whale watching and food.

Most weekdays I feel like I have the waterways pretty much to myself. I frequently anchor out on some of the best sturgeon grounds in the country and rarely see another boat after 1800. I count my blessings every time I'm out there.

I've had the boat now for 10 years and have been retired almost 5 yrs. I couldn't imagine a retirement without a boat.

It's tough to beat a well-planned retirement!

Welcome to TF . Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I hoping to retire in a about three years . We live about 15 minutes from the boat and we're there most days .She is there right now waiting on me to get off work . Sounds like you have a good plan.

Welcome aboard.
Highly recommend retirement...however it works for you & yours.

Welcome, we have been retired for almost 4 years. It is great, but would only be meodocre if we didn't have the boat. Besides, without the boat, I wouldn't have anything to do.

Welcome, ironhorsedriver:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! lots of good info and resources here. Peeps ready to help, just don't ask about anchors or which is better, single or twin screw...

That's what I'm retiring from, except mine are diesels.

And you probably didn't drive on narrow-gauge (3-foot width) rails either whereas the two photos were. ;)

Last edited:
We are in the middle of selling some dirt (with improvements, of course) so we can purchase a live-aboard trawler. We have been chartering and think this will work for us, but plan to keep the primary land based residence for the time being.

Retiring has no meaning for us, as we will continue to operate our business from wherever in the world we are as we have been for years, but instead, advancing our fluid social lives within the cruising community appeals to us as a opportunity much greater than the local duplicate bridge club (lots of nice folks and good friends there as well by the way).

We are in the middle of selling some dirt (with improvements, of course) so we can purchase a live-aboard trawler. We have been chartering and think this will work for us, but plan to keep the primary land based residence for the time being.

Retiring has no meaning for us, as we will continue to operate our business from wherever in the world we are as we have been for years, but instead, advancing our fluid social lives within the cruising community appeals to us as a opportunity much greater than the local duplicate bridge club (lots of nice folks and good friends there as well by the way).

You are indeed lucky. To be able to continue earning, while out there livin' the dream, has to be good. Love your motto, by the way. :)

Back
Top Bottom