Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kain_Kelly

Hello I am Kain,
I have on and off since I was 12 wanted to build and live on a boat. Now 19 I am starting to act on it. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to working on a fishing boat before building/buying a first trawler in the 30-35 ft range? I will still take classes on safety and navigation.

Sincerely,
Kain Kelly

Last edited:
Hello I am Kain,
I have on and off since I was 12 wanted to build and live on a boat. Now 19 I am started to act on it. I was wondering if there would be any benefit to working on a fishing boat before building/buying a first trawler in the 30-35 ft range? I will still take classes on safety and navigation.

Sincerely,
Kain Kelly

What's your thinking on how working on a fishing boat will help you get your own boat?

Kain,no experience of commercial fishing boats, but you might be more engaged in the fishing than boat operation, esp. as a new hand. But I get the idea, if you can find a boat where you can skew your role more towards boat operation,it might work. And if not, it could be a good all round on water experience, beats flipping burgers.

Kain,no experience of commercial fishing boats, but you might be more engaged in the fishing than boat operation, esp. as a new hand. But I get the idea, if you can find a boat where you can skew your role more towards boat operation,it might work. And if not, it could be a good all round on water experience, beats flipping burgers.

If not on a fishing boat, what would would be the best place to start with out a boat?

If not on a fishing boat, what would would be the best place to start with out a boat?
How about deckhand on a ferry, tug, etc, maybe doing a course at the same time? Don`t rule out the fishing boat idea. Hope someone local can help, mentioning the town/city where you live could be good.

How about deckhand on a ferry, tug, etc, maybe doing a course at the same time? Don`t rule out the fishing boat idea. Hope someone local can help, mentioning the town/city where you live could be good.

I live further in land but the Trinity Bay area is the closest too me. I do not believe there is relevant marine industry in shreveport. Also where wouldn't a good place to ask about my hurricane plan? Thank you for all your help! Also is there a reason why with a enclosed fly bridge to have a lower helm?

Last edited:
I like your spirit Kain. Are you in school now or working? I wish I had gotten into boating at your age. I didn't buy my first boat until I was in my early 30's and now at 35 I'm gonna be buying my first trawler.

Good luck man and learn as much as you can!

If you can spare 4 years, take a look at the Coast Guard. You can learn about various maritime skill sets, then hone in on whatever makes you giddy (small boats, larger ships, support). You won't get rich BUT you will learn things, enjoy great health care, and have an opportunity to save some money. When your ride is done you will have a better idea of where to head next.

You could also look into joining a sail training vessel. I met one in St. Thomas, and went out for the day on a working cruise. The crew was living aboard and navigating by sextant! They were all accomplished, or quickly becoming accomplished, sailors. Maybe an attractive option as there would be a shorter commitment...

Keep asking questions and looking around, you will find a good fit.

Good Luck

Jeff

Kain the commercial fishing job can't hurt. I fished my own boats for 34 years and I required all my deckhand to eventually take wheel watches. The more experienced would take solo watches including night runs. It is a necessity on smaller vessels with small crews where everyone has to become proficient in all boat duties. On the right boat (read with the right skipper) you will learn about seamanship and navigation and safety at sea. Take courses too.

I live further in land but the Trinity Bay area is the closest too me. I do not believe there is relevant marine industry in shreveport. Also where wouldn't a good place to ask about my hurricane plan? Thank you for all your help! Also is there a reason why with a enclosed fly bridge to have a lower helm?

Redundancy of helm and gauges = Safey!

For bad weather the lower station can offer comfort.

For really rough seas piloting from below keeps you closer to center of gravity.

Lower helm piloting can enable Captain to stay close to guests during travel for conversation... etc.

When items suddenly get tough at 2AM due to unexpected storm lower helm can immediately be activated if necessary.

For warming up engines the lower helm lets Captain stay close to engines for listening to engines during start-up.

In smaller crafts that have engine compartment hatches in salon floor or in cockpit [rather than having a full sized separate engine room in larger boats] the lower help offers great opportunity to have controls and gauges easily at hand while servicing or repairing engines.

Good Luck in your boating experiences!

Art

If you can spare 4 years, take a look at the Coast Guard. You can learn about various maritime skill sets, then hone in on whatever makes you giddy (small boats, larger ships, support). You won't get rich BUT you will learn things, enjoy great health care, and have an opportunity to save some money. When your ride is done you will have a better idea of where to head next.

This sounds like a good option to consider. At 19, a CG enlistment would go by very quickly plus give you all kinds of practical experience, not only with boats, but with life in general.

If you go in the service, check first. Having a year or two of college of any kind could give you more choices in your job.
There are many jobs on or near the water. Working at a marina or boatyard can give you contacts for other things. Owners sometimes hire young people as line handlers and more with experience. As a teen, I ran a 65' yacht so the owner could party with his guests. A friend was my line handler. We got the boat ready, ran it and cleaned up afterwards. That led to a job on river tugs.

Great advice on joining the USCG! Also, if college is in your future, consider the California Maritime Academy.

I advised my kids to maintain a presence in areas that they'd like to pursue. If you like everything boats, hang out at the marina/wharf. If you like airplanes, find a general aviation airport that needs help. Like nursing? Hospitals are looking for volunteers.

One of my kids liked movies and politics. She became a local movie critic in the Sacramento paper teen page and got internships and ultimately a great job with Senators in DC. The other loved photography and social justice. She started a Peace Club in High School and got a job at a local photo studio at 15...now a professional photog and editor for Getty Images and going on for her PhD in Social Econ Policy.

You're already miles ahead of many in that you know you will work and live in the maritime world for which you have a passion. When you get to follow your passion while someone pays you for it, you're well on your way down the road to happiness.

Congrats on pursuing your dream. Keep us posted of your advancements.

Last edited:
+1 for Flywrights suggestion of a maritime college.

Also look for opportunities to expand your network join a US Power Squadron or USCG Aux you will meet a lot of folks with similar interests and you can take a number of courses.

Do you like mechanical stuff? Maybe take up diesel mechanic...could open up some doors.

Good luck with your quest to follow your passion

Last edited:
Do lots of research and look long and hard before going to a maritime academy. CG sounds like the best bet.

Crew jobs in the SE Alaska summer salmon troll fishery aren't terribly difficult to land if you're walking the docks a week or two before season. Summer season is July 1 to late Sept. Crew share for a new guy is something like 10% of gross take after fuel. Often you'll get bumped to 15% if you stick it out for the 3 months. You won't get rich but you'll get good experience and it won't interfere much with winter school plans. Be warned, it's fun and addictive.

Thank you for all the replies I am actually training for the coast guard right now. (In case a draft starts looking realistic.) I will revisit joining the coast guard.

Crew jobs in the SE Alaska summer salmon troll fishery aren't terribly difficult to land if you're walking the docks a week or two before season. Summer season is July 1 to late Sept. Crew share for a new guy is something like 10% of gross take after fuel. Often you'll get bumped to 15% if you stick it out for the 3 months. You won't get rich but you'll get good experience and it won't interfere much with winter school plans. Be warned, it's fun and addictive.

How much do you expect that 10% to equate to ball park wise?

Back
Top Bottom