Getting back in after 35yrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Sea Dog

Vessel Name
"OLD BAY"
Vessel Make
1979 Grand Banks #599
Yep. Retired after driving truck for 35 years. Grew up in Annapolis MD. Crewed on an 81' Trumpy for a few years traveling the east coast. Lived aboard my Cal 2-27 for several years before sailing down to FL. So now I am retired and wife and I are looking to Loop. Main residence in FL. Summer on Delmarva. Have a '78 Kencraft 20' c/c and a '95 Grady-white 26' Islander. Now it is time for a trawler. Looking forward to connecting with other members. Thanks.
Robert Heldrich

Welcome to TF. Good luck with your search. Most importantly...enjoy that search. In some ways it's the most fun part of it all.

Yep. Retired after driving truck for 35 years. Grew up in Annapolis MD. Crewed on an 81' Trumpy for a few years traveling the east coast. Lived aboard my Cal 2-27 for several years before sailing down to FL. So now I am retired and wife and I are looking to Loop. Main residence in FL. Summer on Delmarva. Have a '78 Kencraft 20' c/c and a '95 Grady-white 26' Islander. Now it is time for a trawler. Looking forward to connecting with other members. Thanks.
Robert Heldrich

Hey Robert - welcome to TF.

Of of the long time members of TF just listed what apprears to be a nice, fairly priced 46-foot Cheoy Lee Trawler capable of long distance travel. Located in Fort Lauderdale.

FYI - I have no connection except as a casual observer.

His original TF post pre-listing

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/cheoy-lee-46-lrc-$130k-ft-lauderdale-fl-63438.html

And subsequent Yachtworld post.
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1979-cheoy-lee-46'-trawler-8309743/

Good luck

Peter

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.

Welcome to the forum! Had a home in Salisbury, MD for 30 years and did some sport flying out of Lake Wales in Fl. Lots on nice spring and fall cruising on the Chesapeake, especially the Eastern shore. The Loop is a great trip.

Ted

Welcome, from another Eastern Shoreman.

Greenbackville. Its been some years since I was there. That was back in the day when folks were trying to breathe new life into Captain's Cove. Its a nice quiet corner of the world. Hope to see you on the water one day.

Welcome to the forum! Had a home in Salisbury, MD for 30 years and did some sport flying out of Lake Wales in Fl. Lots on nice spring and fall cruising on the Chesapeake, especially the Eastern shore. The Loop is a great trip.

Ted

Ted, How many times have you completed the Loop solo? Twice?

Ted, How many times have you completed the Loop solo? Twice?

Just once. I really enjoy the Great Lakes, so this is my third trip up the Hudson. Will be focusing on the Rideau and Trent Severn canals in Canada and Lake Superior this summer. Hope to spend some time in all 5 Great lakes plus Georgian Bay and the North Channel this summer.

Ted

Welcome aboard. Good luck with the search.

Welcome to TF from Cathy

Hey Bobby - nice to run into you on TF. Bill and I are in the process of downsizing to a smaller and faster boat that we can more easily zip around the bay with. We bought a 2002 49 DeFever in 2015 and have enjoyed it tremendously. We had planned on doing the loop but life happened and we instead had a couple of great trips to Florida and the Gulf. Give us a shout - cmconlyn@comcast.net

My wife and I thought that we found (and bought) something special to do The Great Loop in, when we found a Mainship 350/390 (same boat -different years).

Then we started out on The Loop, and kept running into these every week or so!

Come to find out 10% of all the boats known to finish The Loop last year were Mainships of one variation or another.

My wife has M.S. So, the combination of the walk-thru transom and the railings all the way around the perimeter + the f/g molded stairs to the bridge, and not a LOT of stairs otherwise, made this boat the best choice for us.

Of course, your requirements may well be different. But I figured I'd give you someplace to start. Then compare from there. These are affordable, and their warts are not deal breakers for most of us.

Capt Ray
Shellerina.com

Back
Top Bottom