Ford Johnson - '81 GB36 - "Hopscotch"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fordeaux

Well I'm not quite yet a bona fide member.
I don't actually own a trawler until December 10th.

"Hopscotch", a 1981 Grand Banks Classic 36 is currently hauled out at Central Point yard in Sturgeon Bay, WI. The vessel has been well cared for. It's systems have been recently updated, and a bow thruster installed.

Over the winter I plan to commission a few modification to make the boat easier to single hand. I'm hoping this forum can help me make rational decisions on implementing the changes.

"Hopscotch" is my first powerboat. Previously I sailed a 1965 Ericsson 35 on the Pacific Coast. A "classic" design. Narrow beam. Very low to the water. A 36' trawler is a big step up....

Come Spring the plan is to outfit the boat (tools, bedding, etc...) and then spend the Summer on the Great Lakes. Entirely new waters to me. Then over 2023/24 do a "Loop" trip, with the "aspirational" goal of reaching up to the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and down the seaway back to "cross my wake" in Wisconsin.

I Look forward to making new friends and acquaintances on the forum.

- Ford

Welcome to the forum!
Congratulations on the new to you boat.
Sounds like a good plan to do some regionally close to home cruising before starting on the Loop.

Ted

Welcome. Always happy to have another GB owner on board. You will enjoy that boat.

Welcome!

While the GB36 is literally a step up -- much higher off the water -- I think you will find her easier to handle. We moved up from a Swan 57 sloop to Fintry, an ex-Royal Navy Fleet Tender, 79', 150 tons displacement and found she was actually easier to handle than the Swan.

A thought. We've done Boston to the Great Lakes both by way of the Erie Canal and by going around most of Nova Scotia and up the Saint Lawrence. Both are fun trips with lots of sights, but the former is 538 miles and the latter is a 1510 miles to get to the east end of Lake Ontario.

The story of the latter trip is at
https://issuu.com/cruisingclub/docs/voyages_2020 page 94.

Jim

Sweetwater -- Swan 57 sloop on which we circumnavigated 1995-98
Fintry -- x Royal Navy Fleet Tender -- owned 2003-2022, 20,000 miles including trans-Atlantic
Morning Light -- Webbers Cove 42 single screw trawler 2021- ?

Well I'm not quite yet a bona fide member.
I don't actually own a trawler until December 10th.
- Ford

Let me assure you, you are a bona fide member, as of right now. The owning of a boat is great, but not a requirement. I'm a moderator yet no longer have one. So yes, welcome to TF. Just jump in and hang on...of course, when you finally get that boat we expect details and photos... :flowers:

Welcome Aboard!

A 36 foot G.B., especially with a bow thruster is the perfect boat to single hand. No further modifications should be needed beyond getting some fenders and lines set up.

You will find lots to do around Sturgeon Bay. A few miles south is "Little Sturgeon" across the Bay is Marinette and Oconto. Head North for nice friendly harbors every 20 or 30 miles. Spend nights on Chambers Island and Washington Island.

Have Fun.

pete

Call me a "sissy"...

But I'd like up/down anchor controls on the foredeck and at the wheel. Also thruster controls at both upper and lower helm. Currently there is only a single "up anchor" control. So you run out to the foredeck and spin the release allowing chain to "free whee'" out through the hawsehole.

That a lot of running and climbing for an old badger...., but yeah I think I'm going to be fine to single handing with some practice.

Thanks for the travel pointers Pete.

-F

Welcome Aboard!

A 36 foot G.B., especially with a bow thruster is the perfect boat to single hand. No further modifications should be needed beyond getting some fenders and lines set up.

Welcome aboard from another GB 36er. We purchased with intention of Looping the '23-'24 timeframe also. Now based in Crisfield on the Chesapeake Bay. I found "OLD BAY" to be easy to singlehand with single 120 Lehmann and bow thruster. Have thruster controls at both stations. Windlass foot controls at the bow. Singlehanded up from Marathon, thru the Okeechobee, then up the AICW. Look forward to catching up with you on the Lakes. 20220916_163451.jpg20220919_073315.jpg20220905_192340.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

But I'd like up/down anchor controls on the foredeck and at the wheel. Also thruster controls at both upper and lower helm. Currently there is only a single "up anchor" control. So you run out to the foredeck and spin the release allowing chain to "free whee'" out through the hawsehole.

That a lot of running and climbing for an old badger...., but yeah I think I'm going to be fine to single handing with some practice.

Thanks for the travel pointers Pete.

-F

Welcome Aboard!

Even better than thruster controls at both stations, which is a must IMO, is a wireless remote control that will let you control the truster(s) from wherever you are, even on the dock. I have a wireless remote on my thrusters now and it is great. Check with the manufacturer of the thruster and see if they make one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom