Old 01-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
FNG from VB

Greetings. Jeff from Virginia Beach.

A lifelong boater, but the biggest thing I've owned is my current 30-foot center console fishing boat. I'm fairly handy with tools and done all my own maintenance forever.

I am 61 and recently retired from an airline-pilot job. My wife is from Vancouver Island, just off the west coast of British Columbia, Canada. It is my understanding that there are tens of thousands of miles of shoreline to explore between the southern and northern tip of the island. All of them beautiful. Typically the summers there are often flat calm, so a big sailboat is probably a no-go. Plus, she's not much of a sailor and I'm lazy.

So, I am thinking about buying a boat and living on it during their summer months. I figured I'd start reading well in advance and try and learn as much as possible about the boats and the lifestyle.

I love the look of the Selene's, the Flemings, Marine Traders, and the Europa line of Grand Banks. The reality is that I know just about zero about the boats at this point. I've just been watching YouTube vids about boats for sale and a few guys who live on theirs.

I am constantly looking online and am sure there are dozens more to consider. Right now I am looking at a single screw just from a cost and maintenance standpoint. We're not in any hurry and will be buying a used boat. Hopefully, one in Canada so I can use my US bucks and gain some boat with the exchange. I want a glass hull or aluminum.

I've got a US Coast Guard Masters license, 25T but I've never used it.

That's it. Off I go to start reading. Any suggestions, reading material, etc and I am all ears.

Many thanks.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to TF. Sounds like a plan. Plenty of good advice to be had on here. Start diggin' and askin'...
Old 01-06-2021, 05:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Welcome.

FNG?
Old 01-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
F`n new guy.......

Common in military aviation.....probably common in airlines too from crossover.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Have fun during your search.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi Jeff and Welcome to the forum.
Check out boat search 101 and the tons of other threads relating to starting the boat search.
A couple of preliminary suggestions. If I understand your original post, it sounds like you will be leaving the boat for several months at a time and therefore little to no maintenance during that time, and wanting to enjoy the boat (as much as possible) during your time in the BC area?
If that is the case, you may want to have high on your list of do not want things that add to exterior maintenance? Things like varnishing exterior wood, screwed down teak decks, and lots of canvas (or should be easily removeable), etc.

While I love the look of the GB Europa line, I would avoid those for the exterior maintenance discussed above. Other boats you might like (based on your list above) would be Kadey Krogen, Helmsman, North Pacific, and maybe Nordic Tug and American Tug. Some of the older Krogen's do have exterior teak, the newer ones less so. I am sure there are other models as well.
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Since you're thinking of the island, try: https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/Index.asp
in Parksville, BC. North of Nanaimo. They have one of the best boat web sites on the West Coast, usually lots of boats. I bought my current boat thru them. Best broker experience I ever had.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome aboard, Jeff. Plenty of like-minded "lazy" pilots here to keep you company...plus a few cheap ones like me. (Maybe 'cheap pilot' is redundant.) I knew I had a choice in life to become a pilot or work for a living. Being lazy, I chose the former.

Lots of crossover skills between piloting and yachting as I'm sure you know. It also helps to have systems maintenance (RV Ownership), domestic maintenance (Housekeeping) & engineering (Plumber), exterior finish (Varnish/Painting) and recreation (Relaxation, fishing, vacations, etc.) experience.

Enjoy the hunt and the experiences! It's a great way to enjoy your hard-earned retirement!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote