FNG in NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpcarson

Hey guys,
my name is Dwight and I live in NC. Currently we have an Egg Harbor sport fish but are giving serious consideration to a trawler. I am diving in here looking for first hand knowledge instead of web sites where discussions cannot continue into specifics and details. I look forward to learning a bunch from the more experienced captains out here.

Welcome "dpcarson" to discuss to learn and share boating issues. Awesome amount of information and views on almost all the trawlers.

Regards
NBs

Welcome, and good luck on your search! Lots of good info here and those willing to share what they do and don't know.

At one time or another we all were a FNG. Cheers amd welcome.

Wow Dwight, having read your thread on THT, I know you put an incredible amount of time, energy and expense into resuscitating that Egg. If you are looking at older trawlers, you should have a lot of expertise in how to dissect a boat. Good luck in your search!

Hey guys,
my name is Dwight and I live in NC. Currently we have an Egg Harbor sport fish but are giving serious consideration to a trawler. I am diving in here looking for first hand knowledge instead of web sites where discussions cannot continue into specifics and details. I look forward to learning a bunch from the more experienced captains out here.

What is it you're looking for different than your Egg Harbor?

Different than the Egg

BandB and Caltex,
I did put a pile of energy into reviving the egg, or at least giving her a facelift, but she new bought that boat I had visions of fishing offshore with her and the family trolling for wahoo and mahi, and cruising around on her. She has a small head but with a separate shower, and SB bunks for the kids and a v-berth forward for me and the admiral. Small along and galley up finish her out. For 4 of us on the boat, it gets pretty tight trying to work around each other and get ready for bed or get dressed. We just aren't using it to fish, and primarily just ride around some, or find a sandbar. However, we do stay on the boat when we are at the beach. So, I am really looking for something that will be more practical for how we use the boat, and how we use it is not how I originally envisioned it. SO....... can't really say that the search is on, but the radar is up anyway.

So, you need more space and comfort. What is your feeling about speed? How much are you willing to slow down?

I know, that is my real dilemma. I know that if I have a little bottom growth I get real impatient when I can't get that last knot out of the egg without rolling into those secondaries on the carbs. So why I say and think it wouldn't matter, the truth is I have never been limited to trawler speeds to really know. Going to the 16kts of the egg was a change from outboard grady's that took some getting used to.

Welcome Mate.

Cheers
H.

I know, that is my real dilemma. I know that if I have a little bottom growth I get real impatient when I can't get that last knot out of the egg without rolling into those secondaries on the carbs. So why I say and think it wouldn't matter, the truth is I have never been limited to trawler speeds to really know. Going to the 16kts of the egg was a change from outboard grady's that took some getting used to.

Well, I'd encourage you to charter a slow boat or try to find a friend with one. There's a big difference between 16 and 6 knots and there are boats at all speeds in between. There are plenty of choices at all speeds and many different boats owned casually referred to as trawlers.

Back
Top Bottom