Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #21

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Who needs thrusters

Yes, I'm sure they're handy but let's not leave the impression that thrusters are a necessity on single screw boats. It's all about practise and learning how your boat reacts to various control inputs, wind and current.
Also as previously mentioned if you do your own maintenance you'll appreciate the extra room around the engine in a single.
As to tricabin vs sedan/europa , the tricabin usually provides a bigger guest cabin than a similar sized europa. In my opinion, as well as the covered decks the advantage to the Europa is easier boarding through a transom door from the swim step. Particularly if you boat with a large dog!

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #22
KDA
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Europa?

Okay, so maybe the word ambivalent was the wrong choice on my part. Sorry, I'm going to spend some time reading the threads that discuss single vs duals. I have some learning to do.
Thanks again for the constructive comments and suggestions from all of you. I am trying to figure out just exactly what I want the boat for. I know I want to spend my time on the water and I would rather live aboard than just visit her on weekends. I know I want to be able to cruise singlehanded when the mood strikes me. I would rather have something that is affordable and reliable than something that will get there quickly. I want to take my time and smell the kelp so to speak.
I love the stories and suggestions, some really good stuff here. Let me read some of the discussions re single vs duals before I come back with more questions

KDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:48 PM   #23

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I agree with Chris.
I think there's a hidden option in there where, if you have twins, you don't really need a thruster. Twins give you all the control you need below 40'.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Ok I will jump in here.. We have a 40' Ocean Alexander Europa, It is also a single and doesn't have a bow thruster. I thought at first I would add one but the boat doesnt need it. The real bonus's of a europa are great Salon, Covered decks, mine has side and transom doors so access is really great, nice lazarette,
good E.R ( although I dont really this a place you have to crawl into should be called a " room" ).
Our Europa is very easy to handle... after to 50' trawler we had for 10 years with a single AND a thruster.. but it weighed three times as much as our current boat. If you take your time and use the rudder and prop walk to your advantage you can put a single just about anywhere.. it just takes longer. I do come from my knowledge with additional imput.... we also have owned a GB36 tri cabin and it felt alot smaller than the 40' Ocean Alexander.
Most 40' Europa's are single head boats so the space taken up by a second head is used as living space.. and we really dont miss the tiny second head the GB had.
As a additional plus the Europa has a big upper deck and flybridge for storing a big dinghy and the Admiral uses it as her private tanning space.
Good luck on the search.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yes, I'm sure they're handy but let's not leave the impression that thrusters are a necessity on single screw boats. It's all about practise and learning how your boat reacts to various control inputs, wind and current.

Doug, I agree with you to a point. However, sometimes without thrusters you simply will not be able to make it in or out of certain docking situations regardless of the amount of practice and learning you have done.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Doug, I agree with you to a point. However, sometimes without thrusters you simply will not be able to make it in or out of certain docking situations regardless of the amount of practice and learning you have done.
I sort of agree with you David in a way, as in some situations a thruster or thrusters plural, might make it quicker and a bit easier to get in or out of some situations. But if you are handy with your vessel, and also have a few warping (round a cleat and leaning the boat this way and that against a fender) tricks up your sleeve, I find it hard to envisage such a situation as you claim in your last sentence. I have just a single and no thrusters, and basically echo what Hollywood just said. I think I gave up saying "we really need to fit a bow thruster to this boat" after about our third trip out. That was 15 years ago now. Just sayin'
Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #27
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones44 View Post
I think there's a hidden option in there where, if you have twins, you don't really need a thruster. Twins give you all the control you need below 40'.

I think I'd say that's sometimes a matter of nuance, too. We have twins, no thruster. There have been times when a thruster would have made thing much easier.

Need? Not sure... Without one, I sometimes defer leaving the slip, or defer approaching a docking situation, if single-handing... usually because of high winds and sometimes depending on wind direction relative to slip or dock or whatever.

I can usually afford (the time) to defer a trip. OTOH, some of those times, with a thruster, I'd maybe head out (or in) do whatever I want to do.

Can't say that means I need one, but can't say that means I don't need one, either.

-Chris
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That is true of twins also.

While I agree a newer boater or someone who doesn't get a chance to cruise much, a thruster can be the difference between giving up cruising or selling..... if you have a knack and practice, I often see people putting singles in where people with twins don't dare.

Also, some twins are even less manageable with one engine out than many singles. Poo pooing a thruster on twins falls right into doing the same for singles.

One more tool in the bag to dock when you otherwise couldnt.

Even after countless miles in singles and twins, I still consider adding the thruster, especially as I get older...no telling when the skills may diminish just enough that pulling the rabbit out of the hat after someone cuts you off in a narrow fairway just ain't gonna happen and the deductible is 1/2 the price of the thruster.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #29

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Like Hollywood, we also have a 40' OA Europa but we have twins and a bow thruster. The main things we like include easy side-deck access for docking or picking up mooring buoys, easy step-out side boarding doors, and a larger salon area. Our second "stateroom" is a bunk room that is used for shop and storage most of the time. We like the covered side decks for the rain.
When we were looking for a larger boat we found that the multi-level aft-cabin or sundeck boats made us feel like we were constantly dealing with stairs and that we needed dock steps to negotiate that big step off.
As far as handling, twins are wonderful and the bow thruster even more so. If the budget wčre unlimited I'd put in Side-power proportional bow and stern thrusters with an auto-hold feature and electrically-operated shifters with a remote.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
First realize that trawler is simply a marketing name given to many makers products and may have little to do with performance. Second consider that design is an appearance issue while function is often more important in actual use. I suggest looking at lots of boats of all description and imagine yourself spending a lot of time aboard, probably not underway.

Your objective should be to buy the boat you will be happy with not the one you will trade in a few years after you experience life aboard.

If you can, charter a couple of different designs. You will probably get some training and will definitely get a good feel for the style of boats.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #31

City: White Rock, BC
Vessel Name: Dame Fortune
Vessel Model: Camano 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDA View Post
I am a new member of your group. I have spent some time reading previous discussions and I am hoping you can help me. I am looking for my first trawler , used, to live on and cruise on. I have been leaning toward a 40 to 44' Europa style rather than a sedan style. I like the covered decks and the interior layout. I am also looking at a single engine because of economy and prop protection. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments to help me make up my mind.

We have a Camano 41, which has been a great boat. For a cruising couple it has a very efficient layout, without a lot of wasted space. It also has a large flybridge, which makes the boat feel much larger than 41'. We have been cruising the west coast in it since 2012. Before this we had the Camano 31, which is also very well built, but much smaller.
ehirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
.. a thruster can be the difference between giving up cruising or selling..... if you have a knack and practice, I often see people putting singles in where people with twins don't dare.

Also, some twins are even less manageable with one engine out than many singles. Poo pooing a thruster on twins falls right into doing the same for singles.

One more tool in the bag to dock when you otherwise couldn`t.

Even after countless miles in singles and twins, I still consider adding the thruster, especially as I get older...no telling when the skills may diminish just enough....
KDA, you pressed 2 sensitive spots, twin vs single, and thrusters.
The "one more tool in the bag.." quote above nails it.The "need" for thrusters is part real and part perception. I`d like to retrofit a bowthruster to accompany the twins, maybe I will,no point in going without something that can make boating safer and more enjoyable if within reason it is practical and affordable.
Boating is not meant to be a test of skill and macho ability, you do it for (among other things) enjoyment. Developing skills is of course part of that, but make it enjoyable. Good to handle the boat without resort to thrusters(which can fail) but good to have them too.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote