First post - Building Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
Hi there,

I'm a private pilot, boated a bunch when I was young on the Connecticut River, some as an adult but all on less than 20' outboards. I have a 10 year plan to retire and cruise the world.

My very specific question: I have booked a charter in Florida on a GB 42 twin screw. I want to gain experience before I go there to maximize our time relaxing and enjoying ourselves.

I have found a training captain (multiple) here in the Northeast, but I can't find equipment to do training on that is similar size/configuration (over 30 ft, twin engine).

Any suggestions on getting equipment for training that closely matches what I'll be doing in Florida? Again, captain/training isn't the issue, equipment in this region is. I will eventually give in and just take training on what they have, and then whatever the charter wants me to do in Florida will have to cover the rest, but I was really hoping to get some done here. I've searched for rent/charter/training high and low, called a number of people and friends, but nothing yet.

Any/all thoughts appreciated, if you know someone/a business, thanks!

You will have to demonstrate your ability anyway so why not go a little earlier and train on the boat you will use?

You will have to demonstrate your ability anyway so why not go a little earlier and train on the boat you will use?

+1 If that is at all possible, just extend your number of days and spend the first few with the charter folks as they provide instruction. As a pilot, you already have an understanding of what wind and current will do. I have never operated a twin engine boat so I have no idea what the learning curve is for that.

BTW, if you are seriously thinking about "cruising the world", you should be looking at sail rather than power IMO.

Hi there,

I'm a private pilot, boated a bunch when I was young on the Connecticut River, some as an adult but all on less than 20' outboards. I have a 10 year plan to retire and cruise the world.

My very specific question: I have booked a charter in Florida on a GB 42 twin screw. I want to gain experience before I go there to maximize our time relaxing and enjoying ourselves.

I have found a training captain (multiple) here in the Northeast, but I can't find equipment to do training on that is similar size/configuration (over 30 ft, twin engine).

Any suggestions on getting equipment for training that closely matches what I'll be doing in Florida? Again, captain/training isn't the issue, equipment in this region is. I will eventually give in and just take training on what they have, and then whatever the charter wants me to do in Florida will have to cover the rest, but I was really hoping to get some done here. I've searched for rent/charter/training high and low, called a number of people and friends, but nothing yet.

Any/all thoughts appreciated, if you know someone/a business, thanks!

The charter companies I would imagine you're using on the west coast of FL have excellent captains and they're likely to require you use on at least the first day. You could turn that trip into a great learning vacation.

The goal is to waste the least of the captains time, and ours while there. I have time right now I could spend training and learning. If I get there with extra experience, they won't mind, and since I have the time now, why shouldn't I try to do it now?

Unfortunately, extending my time there is not an option (I'd do it in a heartbeat) because of my schedule. Believe me, I considered it.

I have never operated a twin engine boat so I have no idea what the learning curve is for that.

I'd even take a single of that large size, which will be harder to pilot than a twin. The size is what seems to be the issue.

The goal is to waste the least of the captains time, and ours while there. I have time right now I could spend training and learning. If I get there with extra experience, they won't mind, and since I have the time now, why shouldn't I try to do it now?

Unfortunately, extending my time there is not an option (I'd do it in a heartbeat) because of my schedule. Believe me, I considered it.

Understood. Hopefully there will be someone you can give you a lead on a training captain in your area. Good luck.

As a pilot, you probably already have lots of variety in your experience that will make any difference between what you can find to train on now and the twin 42 GB you are getting later insignificant.

The important stuff isn't going to be how long it takes to familiarize yourself with the particular boat, but is your ability to demonstrate an understanding of the Colregs, knowledge of radio operation, navigation, piloting, how to work the electronics, safety gear, etc. Again, your experience as a pilot should make short work of that learning curve.

I bet there are charter fishing boats near you. They won't be trawlers, but slow speed handling will be similar. Just talk to the Captain, tell him you'll pay his usual rate if he will teach you how to handle a twin engine boat. Maybe spend a half day backing the boat into the slip and a half day fishing.

I appreciate the confidence in my skills, but I only got them through training and practice. I think it's time to charter a fishing boat as suggested, thanks all!

bridaus,
For a bunch of the basics, regs, nav, maintenance, etc. you can do that online and have a head start on a bunch of knowledge, which wouldn't hurt.

Being a pilot you probably have a good idea of training structure and will find similarities. The weather knowledge is excellent for boating. But a bit different motions and fluids. I find boating much more challenging, especially docking in a tight or windy area.

However, it's a bit more challenging in a plane with an engine failure.

Oh good! Another way for us to argue single vs twin!

Oddly enough, I never flew a twin engine plane and never handled a twin engine boat. I guess it is due to my sole pursuit of the singular purpose to eschew redundancy.:D

Actually if you think about it, it's a lot easier to land an airplane without a turning propeller than a power boat without a turning propeller.

Of course in the airplane you can't just drop the anchor and call Sky Tow. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom