Old 01-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #1

City: Catawba Island
Hello Trawler Forum

Freezing here on the western basin of Lake Erie I decided to finally join this forum to help pass the cold, gloomy days.
I currently have a Marinette 32' Sedan but hope to find a nice trawler in the future, sell the house and bum around the east coast & Bahamas. Since reading a magazine article on the classic 49' Grand Banks in the mid 90s I have lusted after that model not realizing there are so many more styles/options to choose from.
Looking forward to learning everything I can about the trawler world.

-Karl
GB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Welcome.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
welcome to the forum . I have a Marinette 32 express slowly dying in my driveway. you could get here faster in the Marinette.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I look forward to talking to you post trawler purchase. I have an express sedan boat and it surely does burn fuel, its one real genuine liability.

I grew up skipping 18 and 20 foot runabouts, my first one on some forgotten lake in Ontario and the second on the wonderful lakes of Madison, WI. From there I was in the Canadian Navy, learning on wooden minesweepers and destroyers. From there moving to Vancouver where I belonged to the "Jip Set" a sailing club. I took a number of courses through them. Then onto partial ownership of three boats, a 24 C&C, 26 Tanzer and finally a 27 Catalina. I used to belong to a group of drunken hospital administrators back in the mid 70's, we'd hop on one buddies 37 CT and go from Point Roberts to certain San Juan locations, always at night, frequently in challenging ocean conditions, arriving at our location at 2 in the morning, not exactly sober. We weren't really a threat to boating as I'm here to tell you that at night in the dark hours, there are zero pleasure boats on the water and just the occasional commercial ship.

Where this is all leading is that I have done my fair share of cruising at 4 to 8 knots. And do I look with envy at many of the trawlers, absolutely. But I have found I prefer cruising at roughly 20 knots. I want to get the boring first part of the journey quickly, then slow down to smell the kelp. Boats are kind of like horses, "you can make a fast horse go slow, but you can't make a slow horse go fast." I do slow down chugging along in our wonderful fjords up here in coastal British Columbia, but I do speed up to get to those wonderful fjords.

I have found speed to be addictive when cruising, I'm curious as to how your experience will pan out.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Welcome Karl!

I used to boat out your way, on the west end, 30 years ago.

Good Luck with your journey.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard from Lake Huron.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #7

City: Catawba Island
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have allot of forum reading to do here!
GB49 is offline   Reply With Quote