Old 03-07-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Just wanted to introduce myself

We're moving laterally from trailer and keel boats to a trawler (hopefully), with only a trailer sailor left to play with, and even that's going on the market soon.

We want to make the move to a trawler of some stripe, as much for the room below decks as above. Deck chairs, lots of glass, and not feeling like being down in a tunnel. With any luck, a Great Loop trip is in our future. But that's looking down the road a bit far, post-retirement.

With mobility slowly becoming an issue with age, we'd greatly prefer a sedan type trawler, with a large cockpit on the same level as the main saloon. Fly bridge, mast and boom for dinghy handling, traditional looks, and so on. Single screw like the Lehman 120 or 135, displacement hull (or semi-displacement if the hp isn't too high), though small twins aren't out of the question. 36-40 ft range.

The Grand Banks 36 Sedan is almost ideal, but they're mostly overseas, and the 32 is too small even though they're gorgeous, or so says my other half. Island Gypsy, Universal, and a couple of others have caught my eye, but the search has just started.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and lay out where we're coming from.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. There is a lot of good info here.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Welcome aboard
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Welcome! Dont wait, pull the trigger ASAP!

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Welcome indeed, I don't think you can go far wrong with the boats you mentioned, providing of course they have been looked after.

FWIW, for two people & ease of handling I would include the IG 32 on your prospective list. Lots of interior space for a 32' more so than the corresponding GB 32. Though admittedly I am a little biased toward the IG's.

So go buy your boat, you will never have to worry about not working again.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Greetings and welcome aboard!

Some of the Mainships (34, 35/39, and 40) might have the layout you are looking for. They are probably a bit newer and you will have less wood to maintain, though they certainly don't have the beauty of all the wood. I am very fond of the GB Europa models.

If you can fit a charter in somehow, it may help with your decision.

Best Wishes
Old 03-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
FWIW, for two people & ease of handling I would include the IG 32 on your prospective list. Lots of interior space for a 32' more so than the corresponding GB 32. Though admittedly I am a little biased toward the IG's.
Island Gypsy was one of the manufacturers I recently discovered. They made a 36 ft sedan which looks very attractive for my (our) needs. Nice looking, too, with that clipped shear. But the one I found on the web has a single 3208 at 375 hp.

But maybe the pickin's aren't as slim as I thought they were.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Wonder if that single 3208 was original? Maybe,some larger IGs, like 44s, had twin 3208s.
IG build quality is (imo) comparable to GB which they copied to a degree. Beware of osmosis, not that GB were immune to it. Almost all 36s, here anyway,had twins,usually Lehmans. Some later boats had Volvos(hmm..).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandJeri View Post
Island Gypsy was one of the manufacturers I recently discovered. They made a 36 ft sedan which looks very attractive for my (our) needs. Nice looking, too, with that clipped shear. But the one I found on the web has a single 3208 at 375 hp.

But maybe the pickin's aren't as slim as I thought they were.
Don't let that one engine be a deal breaker, by any means. However, I am not turning this thread into a single versus twins thing. You can search and find plenty already said on that issue alone.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #10

Just wanted to introduce myself

If you see a Willard 36 Standard Cruiser take a look. Dock level boarding door to a big, sociable, covered cockpit, same level salon with galley and helm, three steps down to head and sleeping. Mast and boom for dinghy. A 4-236 Perkins is lots of power. Can’t get more traditional than the Bill Garden design! Seems to tick most of your boxes! Willard 40 sacrifices a bit of cockpit space but adds a second stateroom. Older boats, but simple and durable.
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
Hospitality Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Don't let that one engine be a deal breaker, by any means. However, I am not turning this thread into a single versus twins thing. You can search and find plenty already said on that issue alone.
Hmm, best not to be single minded Pete.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Hmm, best not to be single minded Pete.
You mean you'd rather we be double minded, Andy. That's schizophrenic..!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Wonder if that single 3208 was original?
From a Boat US Jack Horner review:

"Engine options available on the Island Gypsy 36 ranged from a single 120 hp diesel to twin 270 Hp diesel engines built by Lehman, Volvo, Perkins and Cummins."

No Cats listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Island Gypsy 36

The Californian 38 trawler is also a nice sedan, with an almost ideal interior layout. Again, twin 3208's at 210 hp each, at least on the one I found and bookmarked. And they seem to be on the west coast mainly, with shipping by truck being a major consideration. 13-14 ft beam can't be cheap.

So I'm getting a pretty good list of models to look for now. I also saw a recent thread discussing the Monk 36, which is a really pretty boat, but has the aft cabin which I'm trying to stay away from. Not easy, as most of them have it (Albins are popular around here).

I don't need the extra sleeping space, as the grand children can sleep in the main saloon with Dad (like mine did with me on my FIL's Kady-Krogen 42 pilothouse trawler - talk about getting spoiled). But I need enough above decks space to keep the admiral happy without breaking the bank on length and fuel usage that I really don't need.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #14
Hospitality Officer

[QUOTE=TomandJeri;643036]Island Gypsy 36 review from a Boat US Jack Horner review:

Well, one thing Mr Horner got wrong, wood rot under the screwed down teak decks can be and often are a big problem.Hardwood stiffeners can & do rot.As I know to my cost.

Although, I do remember Bruce saying his IG 36' has a core foam sandwich, at least that's what I think he said.

"