Ex-Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steamguy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Inchcliffe Castle
Vessel Make
1968 aluminium lifeboat converted to steam
Hi. Perhaps I should explain what I mean by "Ex-Newbie".
I started out in my late twenties owning a 25 ft 1953 Norwegian Folkboat for a few years. It got dryrot so bad that I couldn't afford to fix it. Sold it, and it went to the San Francisco racing fleet, AFAIK.
In my early forties I bought a trawler, a fiberglass 39 ft 1979 Taiwan built "Hudson" DeFever with a single Ford Lehman. Wife and I cruised PNW waters until I discovered dryrot so bad in the transom core and engine stringers that I couldn't afford to fix it. Sold it, and it became a whale watching boat somewhere in the PNW, AFAIK. I swore off ever having a wooden boat ever again!
Now, in my sixties, I own a 25 ft steamboat that I built on a 1968 lifeboat hull. It is ALUMINUM and sits in my driveway on a trailer. No moorage, no bank loan, built it on a pay-as-you-go basis. Having the time of my life.

Welcome. What brings you here? (Besides the internet, of course.)

Steam! I love reading about alternatives to diesel & gas. What is your fuel?

Your boat sounds very cool. Where did you find the aluminum lifeboat hull? How much of a keel? May I please request that you post some exterior, interior, and engine room shots?

Steam! :thumb:

Cheers,
Pea Trombley

I owned a 1978 Folkboat,in fiberglass. A Marieholm 26 version, it had better accommodation than the "International" fiberglass ones preceding it. All versions had a long full cruising keel and transom hung rudder like an extension of the hull. Seaworthy little boat, an Aussie grandmother sailed one solo round the world. They and one other boat were usually the last boats seen racing on Sydney Harbour in severe weather. Great memories. I`d heard SF had a racing fleet.

Welcome. What brings you here? (Besides the internet, of course.)

I miss my trawler. It was a great boat, but WAY too expensive in terms of upkeep. Well, not really "upkeep" but "constantly repairing stuff that broke". The final straw came when ALL THREE bilge pumps quit at the same time and she was slowly sinking at her slip -- this was discovered at the start of a Valentine's Day date with my wife at the marina restaurant. :banghead:

My current boat sits in my driveway! :D

Steam! I love reading about alternatives to diesel & gas. What is your fuel?

Your boat sounds very cool. Where did you find the aluminum lifeboat hull? How much of a keel? May I please request that you post some exterior, interior, and engine room shots?

Steam! :thumb:

Cheers,
Pea Trombley

4 inch keel, draws 2 ft. I burn diesel in a Beckett Burner. Bought the hull from another member in the steam club who grew elderly. I call her the INCHCLIFFE CASTLE. You can see a photo at www.northweststeamsociety.org and look for my boat name under 'projects'.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

giphy.webp

Back
Top Bottom