Dreaming of the Sea - From Nebraska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocFJ

Hello all,

I grew up around Lake Washington and Puget Sound in Seattle, but life took me inland, and I have been in Montana, then Nebraska for over fifteen years. It is time to get back to the water!

As I look for jobs that will get me closer to the PNW (wow, Seattle got CRAZY expensive!), I am dreaming about exploring the water. My family had a little Seaswirl cuddy cabin, then a Carver Voyager, and we did the log boom at Seafair, Lake Union fireworks, the San Juan Islands (best trip ever), and lots of swimming in the lake. I want to do a bit more exploring, so my dream is a little (32'-42') trawler that can poke around Vancouver Island and the Pacific coast. Something with bunks for the kids and a cabin for the wife and me. Working in education, I have yet to achieve fame or fortune, so something affordable. Been looking around at the many Taiwan Trawlers like CHB and Perfomance Trawler (PT).

I'm a little worried being married to a girl from the Rocky Mountains and having raised my kids far from any lakes or oceans. None of them show any interest in getting on a boat. I'm hoping they'll get more excited once they get the chance to see sea lions and Orcas, and laze around reading books sitting at anchor far from the crowds, and eat fresh crab steamed on the grill. Any advice out there? At the very least, I figure it's best not to terrify them with going through the Strait of Juan de Fuca on a windy day the first time we go out.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling introduction, and I look forward to chatting with and learning from you all.

-Doc

Welcome! Highly recommend chartering out of Bellingham or Anacortes for a week to two to make sure everyone is "on board" so to speak.

NW Exploration (just as one example) has some very nice Kadey-Krogens and GB 42's available to charter.

Adventure Yacht Company | Yacht Charter | NW Explorations

I should add we moved to Seattle from the midwest about seven years ago and couldn't be happier about it. Kids absolutely love it here.

Welcome aboard. Time to get back to boating!

Welcome aboard Doc.

Been there done that with the reluctant wife and inexperienced kids thing. Here's my advice: charter something gorgeous for a week in the summer. A gleaming, roomy, well equipped trawler. Island hop with the family for a week, stack the deck in your favor by showing them the best of the best. This is what I did years ago, best family vacation ever. On the way back, my wife said "We should go boat shopping". Bingo!

Thanks, all, for the great and quick advice. I saw a Passage Maker article that I think was about NW Explorations. Will definitely check them out.

I learned how to handle a boat in Nebraska. Learned how to sail, and how to water-ski (not behind the sailboat!). There are lots of lakes in Nebraska. You've made the decision to move to the PNW, and good on ya for that.

For other land-locked folks out there, though, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot enjoy boating in any state in this nation. You don't HAVE to live next to a coast to enjoy boating.

Welcome Doc! Once those kids get a bit of salt in their blood, you won't be able to pull them away!

+1 for NW Explorations in Bellingham for a charter boat. Nice boats, well-run, good people.:thumb:

How old are the kids? If they are between 2 and 10 they will take to the water like ducks. If they are up to about 15 it will be a little more difficult keeping them entertained without the wifi. If they are teenagers, forget it. You might get them on the boat for an occasional weekend but anymore than that will be coming between them and their friends, a very difficult task.

But good luck anyway

pete

If you have freedom of location when working, that is you work from home or mostly work from home, to my mind one of the ideal places to live in the States is Whidbey Island (link below). I have often thought, for what you can get, especially mid-island, the prices are a bargain - think waterfront.

South island is the most expensive as a number of Boeing employees live in this area and take the ferry to work every day and back. The ferry ride is approximately 15 minutes but a lifetime if you hit the wait line during a busy time.

The host of My Lottery Dream Home, a program in which David Bromstad helps lottery winners purchase homes all over the States {translation: he has seen a lot of the states both urban and rural) when helping a couple purchase a house on Whidbey almost bought a place himself.

If you want a more urban setting then purchase a place in or close to Oak Harbor. Like a small artsy fartsy community, then look at Coupeville. A well known area in Washington State is Deception Pass which hosts a bridge to cross to the mainland on the north end of the island. So a ferry on the south end and a bridge on the north end.

Here is a link to housing availability and average costs and schools on the island:

Whidbey Island Housing Market: House Prices & Trends | Redfin

Here is an intro to the island:

Thought I would slip in one more video:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom