Decision made, the hunt is now on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoezinger

Hi all, family of 4, 2 small kids looking to buy our first boat. We're in the Bay Area and looking for a Beneteau Swift 44.

Welcome! That's quite a boat for a first endeavor.

That's quite a boat, and if that's what you want I'd suggest a few things to do before you get real serious about buying....

--take a boater safety course either through the USCG Auxilliary or the US Power Squadron. Your wife should take the course with you because there will be times when she will need to act as skipper if you're down below doing something.
--find a licensed captain who can spend some time with you to teach you about the new boat. They're much more complicated to skipper than simply driving a car or truck. The systems on a boat are complicated and if something happens you can't just pull to the curb and call AAA.

All that being said, once you have determined that a boat fits your needs and you have fallen in love with it (in that order!!) go for it.

All great advise and a fair assumption but neither of us are new to boating, sailing or powerboats. We've chartered extensively and handled powerboats up to 45ft.

We have 2 small children under 3 so internal accommodations and safety were paramount. The ST44 seems perfect for us and I can't wait to get onboard. We intend to use the boat for day trips around the Bay area and weekend trips to San Francisco, Napa and the Delta.

We'd love to hear from anyone with experience of this boat, also their experiences with the broker. In addition, I'd love to hear tips and tricks from anyone with small ones onboard especially how to keep them safe and having fun, including places to go in Bay area.

In addition, I'd love to hear tips and tricks from anyone with small ones onboard especially how to keep them safe and having fun, including places to go in Bay area.

I don't have small children but rule #'s 1 through 100 are life jackets at all times when above deck, when below but not being watched (might get up unnoticed). I'd ever recommend locking all doors so they can't get out at night, even if it means some variation of the old time safety locks near the tops of doors. We had one nighttime incident on the lake while the parents slept and it was obviously a horrific experience for all.

Back
Top Bottom